Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / How's this for a plot?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 01:36
rate 1-10 and plese give contructive criticism:

In the futer Earth as flourishing, tall skyscrapers reached hundreds of feet in the air and tecnology had reached it's peak. But one day from the depth's of space a hiddious alien found earth and begain rampging it. This alien could spawn monsters and shoot them to Earth for them to attack. Human's were reduced to using swords and bows to defend themsevlefs from these spawn. All seemed lost untill a man stubled across an acient book, it it contained the power of magic. With this new found ability the humans destroyed the creature, never to be plauged by it again. However now the Earth is in ruins and needs repair.

This is were you begain, after the monster is destroyed. The world is looking for professionals to go in Ruins and look for tecnology and retrive it, but the spawn of the monster is still around so it's dangurus. City's are sparse and tecnology is even more uncommon.

This provides lots of oppertunitys for a MMORPG type game. A chance to have swords and magic mixed with guns and vehicals. Sounds unfair with a gun vs. a sword? we'll that can be fixed. Ammo is EXTREMLY hard to find for one (any more suggestions on how to make weeker would be nice)

I know this is copying alot off final fantasy 10 (sin = monster/ aeons = magic) but I can't think of much else that will blend medeivl with tecnology
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 02:24
wow!
thats an amazing plot!

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 04:58
I'm not saying it's good or bad, but...
I personally hate RPGs with swords and guns. It's what made me stop playing Dungeon Siege. I loved it up until that point. I separate RPGs into two types:
1. Swords and magic
2. Guns and Technology

-Kensupen
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 05:24
gamma world would be great inspiration

Pure strain humans vs mutant human factions due to impulsive nuclear attempts to destroy the alien infestation

suits of cell powered armour while having psionic abilites to survive the harsh environment

u may have to C&P the url

http://www.geocities.com/hobbit_lands/Gammapage.html

Abobo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 06:21
Good plot, but you need some sort of story arc.
you can just have a geral plot,you need a "bad guy" of some sort.

and i don't get one thing, where did all this magic come from?
if it's not here now why would there be more of it later?

but over all i would give it a 7
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 12:13
Kensurpen is right. I agree with him. it doesnt make sense to make a game with BOTH swords and guns

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2002 03:25
I think your right, swords and guns dont mix, maby something like phatasy star, with beem swords and blaster rifels, and replace mages with phycics that use telepathic power. Sound any better?
Drunken Fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2002 05:06
A sword might as well be anything that's not a gun. Not even a super high power crossbow with laser scope 9000.

Mad Max, Cyborg. <= Movies with mixed gun/non-gun combat. I heard Mel is making another btw. Just about any martial arts movie is mixed too.
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2002 06:06
too underdeveloped....5/10

and very iffy, if you dont write it beautifully it will be like a horror movie that seems like a comedy because the writing is crap. Thirteen Ghosts comes to mind, a great plot but terribly presented. You'd have to be super careful.
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2002 06:23
well, it's ok for a basic plot... it's almost like the plot for my Futuristic-RPG-that-hasn't-even-passed-the- design-stage-yet-but-oh-well... except not
Keep the swords away from the guns, that's one thing I definatly agree on!

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2002 04:59
Originality : 3 Heard it many times, mainly books/films
Game story : 6 Could be interesting, locations could be
a bit samey though ie. rubble'n'stuff
Oh, and I think you want to make your buildings a little higher

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2002 11:54
have you guys seen the new matrix reloaded trailer, they have started introducing both guns and swords into the fight scenes and from what i see, it still look pretty amazing, i reckon it depends on how you use both swords and guns in your game that matters take heavy metal:fakk 2 for example, she used swords and guns but not just any sword, flame, water etc (majical swords).

your birth was a blessing, sent to live and die on earth as a lesson, we each have a star all you have to do is find it, once you do, everyone who sees it will be blinded - DMX
denki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2002 18:18
I thought swords and guns worked very well in FFVII but thats me

Nice story, pointers -
- Way to UNoriginal, its a very steroetype RPG story, try adding something different that hasn't been used.
- Why are humans reduced to using swords and bows? Thats gonna need explaining
Apart from that it seems perfect for an MMORPG, a bit too much like phantasy star online/FF games though.
Nice one

denki
Kousen DPB RPG latest - Working on editors!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 00:54
if you have swords and guns people will wonder what time it is meant to be set in - swords, very long ago

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
11 out of 10!

I am the greatest thing since sliced bread!!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 10:26
hey PiratSS. Are you new coz ive never seen you here?

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 14:05
Story: 8/10
Spelling: 4/10

To cope with the idea of guns vs swords, make it so that when people get stronger they get immune to bullets etc, and obviously the stronger you are the more damage a sword-slash will do, while a gun will always remain the same.

Whatever I did I didn't do it!
Benny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 15:35
Not Bad.
the magic could have come about due to the unreal energy released when the mother beast/alien was destroyed.
about reverting to swords. the aliens are very anti-tech and at one stage in history had taken over control of the planet and guns where only made in secret by anti-alien people . say for example your father was a alien resistance dude.(bit starwarsy i jnow)the swords and guns working together could be feasable if the swords were really hard like solid titanium and could be used to block about 10-15% of shots. and could, like squalls gunblade in ff8, be used as a magical conduit and fire bolts of energy.

hows that sound?
oh yeah. when you actually write the game type it up in msword so you can use the spellchecker the c&p it to the game.
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 03:15
RE: gun's and swords
I think FFVII was one of the most perfectly crafted games ever, and that fixed the two. I agree that ammo should be limited, and that would fix the problem anyways

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 16:50
yeah, FF7 was/is a great game and one of the best games created. i suppose it was good with both weapons..

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 22:50
I cant disagree- I loved FF7, best FF next other than 3. If you translate to real life terms though, who would win? Cloud or Barret (**cough barret cough**)

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
Upcoming- MMOFPS- Paintball Game: HELP WANTED!
Http://halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2002 02:23
cloud coz he would shop barret's head off

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Benny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2002 15:33
Hey did anyone read my post?
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2002 15:36
I read it - the idea of using a sword to block bullets is a good one. Glad everybody else like FFVII I've only played 5-10 but its by far my favourite of all of those

Probably third in design terms only to Nights into Dreams and Mario 64 (Perhaps Tetris and Bubble Bobble? )

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2002 21:49
I heard nights into dreams good and has a character that is in Sonic Adventure

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2002 05:05
this is pretty cool... and i'm not sure what you'll are worried about swords and guns for.

Obviously they won't mix if you don't balance them
But you have Colonial times, in that Swords and Pistols actually worked quite well as guns were quite - well inefficient.
In Star Wars, lightsabers are just swords able to deflect laserguns ... in the end if you want both have them - but think of someway they can coexist well

Be interesting to see this portrayed because the final fantasy series is amazing, especially if you actually get what they're all about and the story they're trying to tell (most peeps and kids don't so don't worry about anything too complex )

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2002 05:25
guys if u have never played gamma world then check out the features and lists, its a plethora of that genre.

ChronicFear
Years of Service
User Offline
I think I will give it, a 3 . The story is underdeveloped, and comes off sounding alot like Fallout. You know, that game where you wonder around after a nuclear fallout looking for a peace to your shelter. Yeah. Except, this one has magic, and mixes it in with the guns. Not a good idea. I dont mind the whole sword thing, considering, melee combat. But, magic? It doesnt fit in well with the world I visioned for it. Maybe a little development would help

Your suffering cause of me its divine
-Korn-
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2002 22:09
hexgear, I think the matrix swords were only circumstantial, neo is in a standoff with several agents and he grabs whatever is avaliable in that arena style balcony room.
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2002 23:48
Petrat : Yes it was damned amazing but virtually no-one played it due to it being on the Saturn, (which not very many people owned) and initially coming packaged with a special pad (making it more expensive). Actually the pad was cool, being the first console analogue controller released, JUST before the N64 and way before Playstation's one.

Nights came in two forms, the original, and Xmas Nights, a budget release, which was eventually given away free on the official magazine. Both were excellent, the most original, peaceful, beautifully designed and realized games EVER in my humble opinion. They were made by Sonic Team, who were (almost obviously) responsible for the majority of the Sonic games. The Nights character and world was used as a Pinball table in Sonic Adventure (1) which was a nice nod to fans, but a highres playable version would be better

Its kind of like a 3d Platform game, until you turn in2 the character "Nights" who flys in a 360 degree patterns, doing tricks and looping, collecting balls and creatures who can be raised as semi chao like virtual pets

A Quick check on Gamers.com shows that others must agree with me, the average user rating of Nights is an amazing 9.8/10 - which if you take as an average, is blummin impressive Its the Highest rated Saturn game ever, with Guardian Heroes at number 2, Radient Silvergun number 3, and the Ace Panzer Dragoon Saga at four

http://www.gamers.com/game/27557

My collage:

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2002 23:51
As for Blazers idea, I agree with Vegeta in that an RPG can have whatever weapons/defense it wants, if they are well balanced, and FFVII is a perfect example of this

The idea IS underdeveloped, it DOES sound like Fallout, but if well written and programmed, could be great

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 02:14
Panzer Dragoon Saga was the best!

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 02:39
theres so many games hard to tell what plots comes from where... i've played Fallout but was never into it - the only part about the plot i got was that a nuke had hit any more than that and i was clueless. Found it very poor both of the, cause it was far too easi to die near the begining and very very very little help to actually play it unless you got far enough.

Personally think the story sounds more like an animé i once watched but i can't remember
Really if you look into it, the story has more of an X-Com feel about it ... or Incubus.

I dunno there are alot of games it COULD be attributed to, but at the core the story is its own.
As its a plot it doesn't need to be greatly indepth because plots are more outline ideas - what he makes of this into the Background and underlining story for the game to evolve around, that is what will make it stand out

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 06:40
Yes, the Panzer Dragoon games have always impressed me with the original, spawling believable worlds they created, and Saga let you live there Plus riding on a Dragon is just cool

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 23:48
Yeah, it was cool

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
the architect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2003 03:00
swords and guns worked fine for warhammer 40000

You need to make sure that using swords has some advantage compared to guns. Ie rate of fire, forcefeilds etc

I dont see a problem as long as u balance the weoponry advantages and disadvantages.

Pyro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2003 04:09
I agree with Architect, i have some opinions as a writer...
First, that is very hard to give an opinion since the history is very poor in the sense of development, is far way to short and it needs more elements.
My first advice is to of course, post a larger version of it, not larger....a more detailed version, so we can give a real opinion
Second, maybe when it is more detailed this will change but the originality... 4/10, i cannot give names right now (i dont remember) but i am pretty sure i have read many books and i have seen many movies with an story like this. Again, we cannot always be original, so mayne you can add this plots some elements of your own that can make it different from other plots.
Third, maybe the origanility doesn't have to be that important because as you said, it perfectly apply for an mmrpg and people will enjoy it, but it would be better if you can make a plot which is original and also people ENJOY.
Fourth, i cannot agree with my friends who say they cant mix in a plot swords and guns, in fact this is very awful cause people is so used to CLICHE stories that they cannot accept new ones, more original ones. While this has been used before, it is still original and i recommend you 100% to use it, keep making the difference, a world like that will give the players lots to concentrate on.
Keep burning!

"The ideas are in your head, you just gotta work like a dog and put them into code"
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2003 19:12
I give your story a 3 out of 10, it would have gotten a 5 but you said MMORPG. MMORPGs have no in game stories, plot swists or anything. They sacrfice story for inteation with others. Anyway, you story needs work, I fail to see how guns, rockets, ect. are ineffective on these aliens. you would think that they would keep trying to find a way to break through they're defences rathier than resorting to acinent weapons. Personally I'm not a be fan of the "post-apolipse wasteland" senario.

Am I a butterfly dreaming I'm a man?
Or a bowling ball dreaming I'm a plate of samishi?
Never assume that what you see or feel is real.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2003 19:58
I think swords and magic are much better in an rpg than guns an technology, purely on the basis that swords and magic look much MUCH cooler than guns. The fact that magic doesn't really exist lets you go totally over the top with it and there is much more you can do with swords than with guns.

I think FF7 was the best of the out of the last 4, I dunno but it seemed to have more of a story and a more of a fantasy like feel, or maybe I'm just imagining that because it was the first FF I bought.

Yum! Yum! Yum! Yum!
Pyro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2003 03:28
Maybe...but at the end, FF7 DID have swords and guns...also magic, and most of people (including me)who have played it consider it one of the bests rpgs. The variety weapon is an indirect influence on this, thats why i agree with your idea....

"The ideas are in your head, you just gotta work like a dog and put them into code"
LLX
Years of Service
User Offline
lets see where did i put that url for Light and Dark my RPG that uses Swords, guns, and MAgic. Ah well fudge it.

First off let me go through your games plot
"write more"
keep this in mind when makign a rpg
"you can never have to much back story"

"but its 52 pages long"
Repeate after me "i can add more"

Half the stuf you write wont be directly in the game just like half the stuff on earth doesnt directly effect you but just because you didnt live through World War one doesnt mean i didn't happen, make a timline, make a world, the events may only be referenced but those references need to be fleshed out.

Second on sword vs gun
Pros:
Gun can kill instantly
Swords can to
Swords can parry other blades and posibly bullets if your good enough
you can carry multiple guns, expeciall if its high tech then you can hanve 2 hand gun and two shotgun gauntlets.
guns can hit things at a distance
cons
guns cant parry
swords are short range
guns need fuel/ammo

and while a gun can kill you can dodge the bullet before its fire, it's a lot harder to dodge a sword bein swung on a diagonal arc arcoss the chest at 3 feet ass opposed to a singel bullet at 200.

and as for magic i leave you with this quote to chew on

"any technology signifigantly advanced is indistingushible from magic."

Teleporter? Teleport Spell?
Phaser? Fireball?

LLX
Years of Service
User Offline
"I fail to see how guns, rockets, ect. are ineffective on these aliens."

I can, if you create a force field that long range weapons are ineffective, you use swords because quite frankly it may be hopeless to break down the berrier but maybe just maybe that blade that agumented by your strength might beable to break through, granted its hopless but when theirs no other option your going go down fighting and which is smarter goign toth and nail or going with a weapon in your hand. Besides maybbe the forcefield takes a second to react before it raises, their time between the gun firing and it hitting you, their less time if you up intheir face, and if you in their face might as well teach them stabity death.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2003 07:08
If that's the case why not beam swords? To not have these weapons enhanced seams very unlikely to me. Insted of technology being inefective, how about the power sourse is cut off. I'll give this one to you, I thought it up a while back, and I'll probably never use it. Make it so that the aliens released some sort of wave or something that prevents cumbustion, fusson and/or fisson. There, most of the earth's energy is gone, reverting the world back to the dark ages.

Now onto the topic of guns, swords and magic.
Magic is a "kill all". By adding magic, you place the story farther from reality, that can't be avioded. On the topic of guns vs. swords, I've seen a number of games and anime that pull it off. Some are FF6-8, Xenogears, Xenosaga, and Tenchi Muyo (not very much but it's there). The fact is I can't think of one that does a poor job at combinding swords and guns off hand. In any case my idea above can fix the balance in this case. Do to the lack of combustion, special guns have to be made, and they aren't as powerful as the 'old' one, but it's better than none.

Am I a butterfly dreaming I'm a man?
Or a bowling ball dreaming I'm a plate of samishi?
Never assume that what you see or feel is real.
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2003 21:15
Swords and guns don't mix?

One of the most sucessful wargamming formats of all time is Warhammer 40,000. What-ever the sins of the company who produce it are the fact remains that it sucessfuly combines melee combat with ranged combat.

In it's 1st 'Rogue Trader' edition, it could very easily be adapted to an rpg too. Just multiply the W stat by 10 and then roll 1d10 for any wound taken (hits of 7-9 also roll on critical wounds table, 0 is instant kill regardless of remaining wounds).

There you have it, advanced technology, psionics, lots of guns and melee combat with swords all in a commercial product that is probably the most sucessful of it's kind.

It's been converted to computer games too in the guise of the Space Hulk and Advanced Space Crusade spin-offs.

Pneumatic Dryll, Outrageous epic cleric of EQ/Xev
God made the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 13:52
A gamecube game 'Eternal Darkness' used swords and guns together very well.

The enemies were zombies and monsters who were not very susceptible to being shot, but could be killed quickly by removing limbs and head with a sword.

Guns, however were safer as you didn't have to go near the enemy.
BoB Vila
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 15:52
If you've played Crimson Sea for the XBOX you can see a flawless integration of swords and guns.

For those who don't know the game, your weapon is a Sword/Gun basically it has two abilities (Long Range and Melee) and from there you add different Effectors and Modules to it to change different aspects such as rate of fire, range of the sword etc. When your battle changes from flying creatures to being swarmed by 3000 enemies at once you quickly need to move from Gun to Melee fighting.

This is a very cool game, and I recommend trying it because it could give you some good ideas.

Bobvila.com made me take off my avatar! (dunno how they found out)
Glennyboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2003 16:43
Hmmm...

1) Love the idea of the player starting off after a disaster of some kind. Lots of game possibilities there.
2) Why the need to mix swords and guns? More to the point, how did humanity lose all its guns but not its swords?
3) Limiting ammo to reduce gun effectiveness against swords isn't really the answer. It's like in a Real Time Strategy game, the designers make a really cool unstoppable uber weapon for one of the sides, then try and justify it by giving it a humungous price tag. That doesn't do anything to allieviate the powerfulness of the weapon. Once it's built, the game is still effectively over for the other side. In this case, while ammo may be hard to come by, a gun will still kill someone carrying a sword as long as ammo is available.

Having the sword block bullets or something like that is pretty cool and more reasonable.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2003 11:06
KamaKase
Years of Service
User Offline
Story: Pretty average.
Starting After: Origional idea.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 13:55:12
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 13:55:12