Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Weird things about Zrotate Object() command

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 17:53
Hmmm... I wonder whether this is a bug or my misinterpretation about the Zrotate Object() command.

From what I understand, the Xrotate Object(), Yrotate Object(), and Zrotate Object() rotate the object around its OBJECT LOCAL AXIS, not the world axis.

I created a box, which initially has the rotation angle at (0, 0, 0). Then I rotate it 90 degress around Y axis. Now, the LOCAL Z axis should be pointing at right side.

Then I tried to rotate the box around its Z axis. It seems that the box is rotating around the WORLD Z axis instead of its own LOCAL Z axis.

Try the following code snippet, and you will get what I mean:

Any ideas what's wrong?
Bad Nose Entertainment - Where games are forged from the flames of talent and passion.

http://www.badnose.com/
Drunken Fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 22:23
In DBPro? I don't know if these are considdered free-flight commands but I know they don't work nor do the so-called free-flight commands. It's a known bug so don't kill yourself, I already did. I heard they should be fixed in patch 4, but now the focus in patch 4 is on the 3D engine so I don't know anymore.
Bulleyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2002 05:42
Oh man... those are the core stuff for me. I mean object rotation, etc. Isn't that is the main part of a 3D engine? I can't find any workaround for this problem.

Bad Nose Entertainment - Where games are forged from the flames of talent and passion.

http://www.badnose.com/
Hilmi2k
Years of Service
User Offline
Hold on a second, if this doesnt work, and I see no forseable method of going around the problem. How do you rotate objects around in space then?

Ratty Rat
Years of Service
User Offline
I have tried this every which way, both sets of rotation commands (x/y/zrotate and Turn/pitch etc) have problems, which appear to be to do with object pivots ,local & world axes and which ones it rotates around.
In an earlier stream we were quite distinctly told that there are problems with rotation and that it should be fixed in Release 4 {glowing light, angelic music}.

All I wanted to do was have a ball rolling across a landscape in different directions, I can make it go one way but not another, and this from code I know works fine in DB113, here (again) is the coded example (using a cube rather than a ball) :-

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2002 13:52
See my previous thread:

http://www.darkbasicpro.com/apollo/view.php?t=1633&b=1

Lee himself states quite clearly to steer clear of free-flight stuff until patch 4. But from what I've read lately, they are not even going to be fixed in patch 4!

Once again my mega space game idea is put back in drawer.

I love it when a plan comes together
Kale
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2002 14:44
ffs

What the flame does not consume, consumes the flame.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD XP2100+, Geforce4Ti 4400, 512Mb DDR, Abit KX7, WinXP Home
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2002 15:05
Yes exactly Kale, ffs & wtf

I love it when a plan comes together
Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2002 15:22
If it helps.. the free flight camera commands do work , I have first person (cockpit) flight with full rotation xyz working.

Also I remember seeing a post about someone getting freeflight working in dbp using the rotation commands, but the order was vital.. something like that.. I'll see if I can find it.

Cheers
Ratty Rat
Years of Service
User Offline
Apparently the game 'Free Form' rotates things OK (see http://www.darkbasicpro.com/apollo/view.php?t=3215&b=1)

Not sure if its necessarily the same thing the rest of us are doing though.....

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 10:30:35
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 10:30:35