Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Advanced Landscape Editor (A.L.E) coming to DB soon...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 03:02 Edited at: 6th Jun 2004 06:58

Why is this different? Well, one reason is that it uses a 'texture splatting' technique which allows you to 'paint' MULTIPLE textures on to a landscape in realtime with WYSIWYG results. You can even vary the base color of the textures as you go (for example use one grass texture, but make some areas look 'dead' by coloring them brown). You simply can't do this with any other DB terrain/landscape editor.
Further reasons are listed below, and many are unique to A.L.E

Go to http://www.dyvision.co.uk/ to download a demo or find out more.

You can also download an FPS showcase 'game' made in 1 day using ALE at http://www.dyvision.co.uk/alegamedemo.zip

The next update adds the ability to export landscapes as .x meshes that are fully compaible with Dark Basic / DBPro (or any engine/app that can import DirectX .x files)!

FEATURE HIGHLIGHTS :

Terraform huge landscapes in REAL-TIME with WYSIWYG results.

Use up to 6 individual textures to directly paint your landscape with no loss of quality or speed.

Automatic optimization usually reduces polycount by about 50% on exported models with absolutely no visible artefacts!

Set the suns position, then lightmap the entire landscape within seconds.

Use vertex colors to add even more variation to your creation. Add virtually limitless variation to your textures in realtime with no performance overhead.

Intuitive & productive interface - Click a point on the landscape to see it transform instantly.

AutoSmooth tool - automatically refine your work!

Import / export heightmaps compatible with most other 3D software.

Export worlds in .b3d format.

Placement of 'Props' (such as trees, buildings, waypoints) on the landscape

Full world editor functionality (Load, position, scale, name, set to ground, rotate, clone, delete)

Place multiple objects in seconds using a 'PlaceMap'

Props can cast shadows on to the landscape.

Export 'prop' setup file (simple ASCII text file containing all required data in plain English - loader function for Blitz included). This allows you to access ALL settings made within ALE including fog/CameraRange/player height etc. from within your own engine.

Export options :
No Lightmap (strips lightmap from landscape. Useful if you are using an external lightmapper)
Copy All Media (Creates a directory with the same name as your landscape and copys all required models/textures to it)
Do Not Optimize (If you just want to preview your landscape quickly the optimize phase can be skipped)

Make Self Tileable (Use a landscape as a repeating 'tile' - edges match seamlessly)

Edge To Zero (Any landscape with this function applied will seamlessly tile with itself or any other)

Hide Lightmap (So you can see dark areas when painting)

Roam the scene 'on foot' or in free-flight mode as you edit. Build the world around the player

www.dyvision.co.uk
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 03:33 Edited at: 6th Jun 2004 03:37
Quote: "You simply can't do this with any other DB terrain/landscape editor"

Think you'll find you can with my landscape editor (click my sig ). Though this looks like it can make far bigger landscapes.

It looks very very nice indeed, although I'm not sure if the landscapes will be able to import into DB very easily <EDIT> Saw your text based format comment, maybe you should make an import routine for DB too? <EDIT> (until maybe the terrain plugin). I'll download right away .

EDIT

The FPS showcase demo .zip seems to be corrupt .

Athelon XP 1600+/Radeon 9600 Pro/256 RAM
Skitchy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 04:11 Edited at: 6th Jun 2004 04:12
Try redownloading the .zip. I just tried it and it worked fine, so perhaps you got a connection glitch or something?

Each texture has individual UV settings (simple to alter). You can use up to SIX textures plus a lightmap (that ALE can calculate for you). And on top of that, any texture can have *any* color at *any* point, all 'painted' in realtime!

The landscapes are standard .x files (so you load the entire landscape with one command - "Load Object"). The 'props' such as trees/buildings are placed using a VERY simple text file in plain English (no bizarre file formats here ). I'll write up a DB loader for this file before the release (there's a Blitz one in the demo that you can look at in the meantime if you like). It also stores stuff like fog color, draw distance, player height etc. that you can use if you want to.

So to set up the whole landscape+props in your own game will take 2 commands in DB/Pro

www.dyvision.co.uk
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 04:23
You're right, it works now . Nice sunny day for a killing spree .

I had a go with it, seems really easy to use, and seems like a full package, creates some pretty nice effects, well done .

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 06:20
looks pretty impressive... are the lightmaps affected by the props (do the props cast shadows)? I see you have a lightmapper available from your website as well, so I assume yes.

may I ask what language was used to develop this software?

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Skitchy
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, the props *do* cast shadows if you want them to. The 'Shadow' tick-box on the top-right of the screen allows you to turn on/off shadow casting on a per-prop basis, so if you want to use 'dummy' objects for waypoints that will later become invisible you can stop them affecting the lightmap
Names can also be assigned to individual props, so you can encode data or flags into them. For example if you wanted the lighthouse to yrotate you could name it "lighthouse yrotate 1.7". Then, when you load the landscape in your engine all you need to do is parse through this data and make sure your objects react accordingly.

www.dyvision.co.uk
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 07:02
Very very nice Skitchy.

Every once in a while I check the Blitz Boards and the landscapes always impress me. Will be good to see many of these landscape editors come to us DB users while we wait for patch 5.3.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 12:07
Yup very nice, not sure i'll be buying though with a $40 price tag

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 16:06
Walaber - Looks like it was developed in Blitz 3d, but can be used with DBPro. Be cool if it could support DBO in the future .

Lenny Briscoe
Years of Service
User Offline
$40??? Why? All of this and more is coming SOON to DBPro and for free. But best of luck to ya!
Skitchy
Years of Service
User Offline
I wasn't aware that DBPro was turning into a WYSIWYG landscape editor

www.dyvision.co.uk
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 11:42 Edited at: 7th Jun 2004 12:51
*Thanks RobK *

edit: btw, you still have a market. Get this to work (along with the multitexturing features) in DB Classic

DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 12:46
Quote: "
I wasn't aware that DBPro was turning into a WYSIWYG landscape editor
"

Well native support for the DBO Advanced Terrains format would be nice.

Dark Basic Pro - The Bedroom Coder's Language of choice for the 21st Century.
Skitchy
Years of Service
User Offline
I was being a tad sarcastic there. What I mean is, DBPro is a programming language, and even with the advanced new features, serious developers are going to need a good editor to get the most out of it. And A.L.E is a good editor
When the new features/format arrive, I'll add them based on the amount of interest I get from the DB community, but until then, you can get landscapes of the quality above (or better if you're a better artist than me!) into DB & Pro with 2 commands - after I realease the next update of course

www.dyvision.co.uk
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 13:48
I hate acronyms. WTF does WYSIWYG mean?

Anyway, your app looks impressive, very professional. This was created with Blitz?

"eureka" - Archimedes
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 13:54
What You See Is What You Get

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Lenny Briscoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "serious developers are going to need a good editor to get the most out of it. And A.L.E is a good editor
When the new features/format arrive, I'll add them based on the amount of interest I get from the DB community"

No they won't. The commands will be easily implementable by anybody. What a crack up, "As soon as the new freely updated commands are in I'll find a way to sell them to ya!"
Good luck! Nothing personal.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 17:46 Edited at: 7th Jun 2004 19:18
Quote: " $40??? Why? All of this and more is coming SOON to DBPro and for free. But best of luck to ya!"

What exactly are you referring to?

ALE is a landscape *editor*. The Terrain commands (if that is what you are referring to) are just that - a set of terrain commands. You have to do the design work, and I really would hate to have to do all that in code.

The advanced texture-generation commands are not free anyway.

ALE looks very professional I must admit. I would probably reduce the price tag slightly though, and look to see if TGC will sell it (trust me, they are good at marketing software!)

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games. - Plus URL download, win dialogs.
Over 140 new commands
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 18:52
i'd pay $2

(ok so maybe i'd pay $10...but not $40 )

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 21:07
Looks really good but yeah the price tag is too high.

Current Projects: Dark_Worlds_Map_Editor version0.1 aneale5@orange.esinet.org.uk
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 21:19
I don't think the pricetag is too high, I mean, Geoscape3D is $64.95 so $40 isn't really that much.

It's really a nice clean looking editor as well. That's really important when it comes to making tools for Game development.

Once it exports to .dbo, I find this could be a very valuable tool. (Especially for anyone who owns B3D and DBP.)

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 00:19

if I = 1 then I = 1 else I = 0
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 21:09
Yes I must agree that the price is to expensive, why pay when you can get the same thing for free?

P4 3.2Ghz/Alienware area 51/radeon 9800 pro 256mb/sound blaster audigy 2/5.1 surround sound speakers.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 21:41
Where can you get the same thing for free?

Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 22:03
OK you probably wont find all that stuff in a free package, but I am sure there is lots of little programs out there that do everything that big one can, your multiscape editor is an example.

P4 3.2Ghz/Alienware area 51/radeon 9800 pro 256mb/sound blaster audigy 2/5.1 surround sound speakers.
Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2004 00:41
yup, major payn is right..

if I = 1 then I = 1 else I = 0

Current project>> "MagEasy" simple 2D game creator..
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2004 01:13
I tried out the demo and I am impressed! I still dont think I will buy it, but it is very nice.

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2004 04:21
hey you should have a give away
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2004 08:23
Alpha...not everything in life is free. Your going to have to learn that someday.

Id say maybe 20 bucks is a good price...not too high, not too low. If kids are gonna complain, go out and mow a damn lawn ffs!

We need help! Email us! join@eternaldestinyonline.com
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 10:07 Edited at: 18th Jun 2004 10:07
Haven't actually tried it out myself yet(cox is on downtime at this hour) but from what I've seen on your site it is quite powerful. I don't think you should drop it lower than $25-$30. This is quality software.

I know there a ton of programs that could do the same if you made 'em work with each other but it sure is a heck of a lot easier having one larger more expensive one(and saves cpu speed, no more having 6 programs open at once!). Also, some people have the odd philosophy that if it is over $30-$40 it is at least semi-professional, and probably professional with a nice web site like yours.

No offense to your work in Blitz-great program, but the reason I decided to work mainly in DarkBasic was because of their look of professionalism. That's a quality that will get you in with the non-financially-challenged hardcore and slightly more casual markets.

Anyway,
This looks awesome. I only wish I could download it now.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: KillZone
Web Site Button Does Not Work, Visit Here: http://www.geocities.com/crazydonutproductions/index.html
megamanx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 13:11
I wouldn't lower the price. This is quite possibly the easiest landscape editor I've used, and I think it's definately worth $40, if not more. Good job!
jwurmz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2004 10:08
very good job indeed! i played around til it crashed (10 minutes: optimized, clicked around, and had a memory access violation) but it is definitely worth $40. keep up the good work!

"Creativity is knowing how to hide your sources" - Einstein
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2004 18:59
Quote: "I mean, Geoscape3D is $64.95 "

Out of interest, who here has bought GeoScape 3D? DOes it do anything that you can't do with free tools that already exist?

Two strings walk into a bar. I'll have a pint says the first$%ASLDJ09920D"$"$D. Excuse my friend says the second, he isn't null terminated.
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2004 22:34
The only thing I would recommend that would make this awsome would be better water. You should be given a better water effect other than that blue ghosted plain, something that you can simply paint onto the landscape or somthing that allows you to choose the water height that way you could have water all over your level. But nice program!

Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2004 07:02
Hey man nice looking terrain. Curious though, how did you do the splatting? Multi objects layered ontop of each other with alpha faded verticies? Or are you using a shader?

All you need is zeal
Skitchy
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, been busy getting the new .x export in, but now its DONE
So A.L.E is now compatible with ANY DirectX engine that can load .x models - even those that don't have vertex alpha, 2nd UV set, or lightmap blending modes!. I've tested it with DarkBasic Pro and it works perfectly. It should also work with DB Classic.
You'll also be happy to hear that the .x landscapes have a lower poly-count than the .b3d equivelant, but are of exactly the same quality due to the technique I've used to 'collapse' the texture layers+lightmap (texture baking)

Here's the new feature list :-

(As of v1.2 - Released 06/22/04) :

Terraform huge landscapes in REAL-TIME with WYSIWYG results.

Use up to 6 individual textures to directly paint your landscape with no loss of quality or speed and automatic blending.

Export worlds in DirectX .x format for use in your 3D engine. Tested with Quest3D, 3D Game Studio, Dark Basic Pro, Blitz3D, Ultimate Unwrap and should work in any 3D engine capable of loading/importing standard .x files!

Export worlds to .b3d format. These can be automatically 'sliced' into 4 zones to aid with custom culling routines.

Automatic optimization usually reduces polycount by about 50% (even better for .x) on exported models!

Set the suns position, then lightmap the entire landscape within seconds.

Use vertex colors to add even more variation to your creation. Add virtually limitless variation to your textures in realtime with no performance overhead.

Intuitive & productive interface - Click a point on the landscape to see it transform instantly.

AutoSmooth tool - automatically refine your work!

Import / export heightmaps compatible with most other 3D (& CAD) software including 3D Game Studio, 3DS Max, Lightwave, Terragen, Blitz, etc...

Placement of 'Props' (such as trees, buildings, waypoints) on the landscape

Full world editor functionality (Load, position, scale, name, set to ground, rotate, clone, delete)

Place multiple objects in seconds using a 'PlaceMap'

Props can cast shadows on to the landscape.

Export 'prop' setup file (simple ASCII text file containing all required data in plain English - loader function for Blitz included). This allows you to access ALL settings made within ALE including fog/CameraRange/player height etc. from within your own engine.

Export options :
No Lightmap (strips lightmap from landscape. Useful if you are using an external lightmapper)
Copy All Media (Creates a directory with the same name as your landscape and copys all required models/textures to it)
Do Not Optimize (If you just want to preview your landscape quickly the optimize phase can be skipped)

Make Self Tileable (Use a landscape as a repeating 'tile' - edges match seamlessly)

Edge To Zero (Any landscape with this function applied will seamlessly tile with itself or any other)

Hide Lightmap (So you can see dark areas when painting)

Roam the scene 'on foot' or in free-flight mode

Free demo available at http://www.dyvision.co.uk. Demo includes samples of exported landscapes that you can try out in whatever engine/program you use BEFORE you purchase.

To answer individual questions :
-The splatting is done using layers and vertex alpha.
-The water model in the demo is just a plane I made v. quickly. You can use whatever model or technique you want. Similarly you don't have to use the tree I included - you can put any model you like on the landscape
-This was written in Blitz but I was one of the first people to buy DB and DB Pro. I also own a Torque license, VB, and Visual C++. Being in any particular 'camp' is just counter-productive. They're all useful.
-As for the price : well, its about half what you'd pay for a PC game. I don't think that's too bad for a *useful* development tool like this. Plus you have to remember that I pay the reseller and credit card company out of that. And tax.

www.dyvision.co.uk
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2004 00:24
Quote: "If kids are gonna complain, go out and mow a damn lawn ffs!
"

i do mow lawns and i do have enough money to afford stuff...you see the problem is that i can't buy it if my dad doesn't think i need it...(and trust me he wouldn't think i needed to spend $40 on this )

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 14:32:04
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 14:32:04