Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Weird GForce 4 Problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2002 17:59
I just upgraded my 64MbGForce2MX to a 64MbGForce4MX for only £30. Bargainous I know, an perfectly legal

Thing is, the shading and lighting effects which were unavailable to me now are available (yay!) but whilst testing out things to see if there was a speed difference (because it appeared to be faster) I ran the demos that come with DBPro, and for some reason, the face demo is now just floating eyes, without the rest of the head!?!?

Obviously this doesn't bother me as such but I was wondering why, and also does this mean other games / graphics won't work?

As always, any input most appreciated, thanks
* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
padge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2002 18:53
Hi Kangaroo2
I have a GeForce4 MX 400 and I have no problem with the Head demo
Have you got the latest drivers?
Raven Vegeta
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2002 19:10
What OS and DirectX are u using? There's a bug with the DirectX which cames by default on WindowsXP. Some games may not run properly ( e.g GTA3 ) using an old d3d.dll
I also have the same card as u. Make sure u have the latest detonator drivers as well Nview 2.0, those babes fixed many problems I had b4.
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2002 19:25
Thanks for the help guys.

I am using WinXP Home running on FAT32, and am using the Version of Direct X which came with Dark Basic Pro, which I think is DX 8.1

I bought the card brand new yesterday and installed the drivers that came with it. Admittedly I haven't checked the website for the latest drivers, which I probably should have before I posted, but because this is the only thing I have noticed not to work properly - all my games and apps look fine - I wondered whether it was a strange DBPro bug that only happenned on some cards (?)

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2002 20:38
I've recebtly got Geforce 4ti 64mb and the drivers were well out of date that came with it. Nip over to the nvidia board and download their latest drivers. I found a few things didnt work with the ones that came with it.

Jas
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2002 21:15
if your using XP don't use the Site Drivers!!
use the window update driver

there is a sane reason for it, you'll find out why if you install it from the site

as for the speed different, the team probably don't rely entirely on the function to produce the effect but actually calculate some things differently (^_^)
not yet had the time to experiement alot with them.

might be because you probably have an OEM version of the graphics card (i'm guessing it is at that price) ... they tend to underperform thier boxed brothers, why i've yet to figure out as technically they're suppose to be the same card

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2002 21:30
Hmm, i had problems with the Windows Update driver and had to resort to the drivers on Nvidia site. But i suppose my card is slightly different model anyhow.

Jas
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2002 01:21
I agree with Alucard and I think it's a d3d.dll related thing. Try this:
Go into start/run and than type "dxdiag". This will bring up the Direct X Diagnostic screen. Take a look at "DirectX Files" tab and look what version of d3d8.dll and ddraw8 u may have. If it ends with 0000 ( e.g 5.01.2600.0000 ), u may have an old direct 3D dll into ur machine.
U can get a newer one on MS-Home page. Newers games as Unreal Tournament 2003 will also upgrade that dll which comes bundled with WinXP.

Good luck

Oh yeah, my card is a Geforce4 440MX also

"Never argue with an Idiot, they will always bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
-- Rogue
parisg
Years of Service
User Offline
while the geforce4 thread is still hot can i make also one question?? why on every driver i use except some very old ones the camera showcase always crash my system???

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2002 14:02
Thanks guys I followed your advice and all seems to be well. I have UT2003 but it was already installed b4 swapping cards, but seemingly no problems there. WinXP update drivers worked fine

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 14:30:58
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 14:30:58