Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Return to Wolf3D, FPS soon to be finished and made into a tutorial

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm nearly done with this project; it’s not bad to say its 100% DB-Classic. I apologise in advance to the 56k'ers around here, you are probably better going here:

http://www.enigmatekuk.com/SOR4/gallery/index.php?showfrom=wolf3d

The idea is that if I get enough interest, I'll convert the whole project into a tutorial. By whole project I mean level editor, FPS engine, the works. So let me know if you would like a tutorial on all / any part of this.

I know there are bound to be a few bugs so if you spot one then post it and I'll fix it, then when all is done, it will all become public. If you fancy making a level or two then fantastic! Send me the file and I will stick it in the game.

Here's the screenshots, the link to the download is at the bottom.

The Build, including editor, and game. (3.915mb)
http://www.enigmatekuk.com/downloads/SuperBuild.zip
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2004 03:33
Ooh, looks pretty sweet. Need to put "Return To" on the title screen

Gameplay is pretty cool, has a real feel for Wolf3D, without the headache Only one problem was that the controls seemed to stick, like sometimes I'd press a direction and it'd take about a second before it started moving. Other than that it's better than most FPS projects.

OH and the life bar is cool

----
<Mnemonix> im seroulsiy frunk to doaty
http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
Goldeneye Nemesis
Years of Service
User Offline
Yea sorry about that, it only seems to happen when you don’t use the arrow-keys to move (e.g. if you use 'a s w d' to move), this is DB-Classic so I guess the input handling is a bit loose. I'll try and play with scan codes and tighten the controls up. So here you go

[Confirmed Bug]: Sticky Input

It's made my post-it note pad as well so that should be done tomorrow. Thanks for the nice comments, its good to get feedback. Thanks for taking the time to download and have a play. With regards to the title, I don’t know what to call it to be honest so didn’t modify my title screen, (thought the blend effect between old and new would say it all). If you get any ideas for a name then let me know
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2004 06:55
maybe you should give the chacter a hand(literaly). Is he pycic(and making the knife float)?

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2004 07:54
by any chance are you using Static Objects?

might just be part of the problem with Dx on my system right now, however i'd say this looks like a classic 'Geforce Static Object' issue

other than that works fine

Goldeneye Nemesis
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Manticore Night: See the change log Just one of those little things I never got round too, I'll try and do it soon. I have to do the hands for my goldeneye remake so I'll try and kill two birds with one stone.

@ Raven: Yes it uses static objects for the walls, but that doesn’t explain why some are showing and some aren't? Maybe it’s Dx, not sure. Looks like you're missing the font also, what OS are you running? I've only tested it on XP, maybe that's the fault if you're using something else. Anyway, good to see you on the post, always makes me feel important when you post
Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2004 16:48
Looks great. Ye might want to replace the floor texture

Btw, if you are using inkey$() for movement and weapon-selection, replace it with keystate.

Goldeneye Nemesis
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool tip Emperor Baal, I'm sorting out the input later today so I will try the keystate() thing, that’s what I'm using for Streets of Rage 4, and that hasn't given me any problems so no doubt you are right.
The floor texture, good point, I'll add a line on the level output file for people to change the floor texture. Thank they can add their own, what would you like to see on the floor? I agree blue carpet is a bit lush for such a notorious Nazi castle.
C l a r k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2004 17:36
Hmm...I'd love a tutorial! Nice job

Concept Software: http://concept.dbspot.com

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2004 18:15
Either way make this into a tutorial - it will undoubtedly help people out. Great Job!

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.4 - w/VARIABLE WATCHER & CONSOLE! * Click Logo
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2004 22:39
Quote: "@ Raven: Yes it uses static objects for the walls, but that doesn’t explain why some are showing and some aren't? Maybe it’s Dx, not sure. Looks like you're missing the font also, what OS are you running? I've only tested it on XP, maybe that's the fault if you're using something else. Anyway, good to see you on the post, always makes me feel important when you post "

No this is a bug in DarkBASIC itself, i believe 1.13 fixxed the problem; or atleast I never got the problem compiling on my own machine.

A common Geforce problem are static object, and something which pisses me off cause without putting in a Radeon card i can't play Kain's "8Towers"... I think it has something to do with how DarkBASIC is ZBuffering. Perhaps the lacking 8bits here is what causes it as maybe TGC were using a 32bit algorithm for it.

Regardless to say; it is a known problem and you should add 'Static Objects' as a menu item, so Geforce users cna turn it off; also use the Check Display Card$() to search for Geforce in the name and turn it off as standard.

as for the carpet, yeah could you change that to the grey that is in actual wolfenstien cause to me it looks just like water.

Goldeneye Nemesis
Years of Service
User Offline
I sorted out all the control problems, and in the process a few extra functions and a key-mapper
There is now a:
Loaddkeys() function for loading your keymap from a file
Runkeys() for detection purposes, called once a loop
KeyDown() for detecting if a user had just pressed a key (only occurs at the instant a key is pressed).
So it makes input easy cos you can now have a versatile control system that you can have the user configure, and you can detect presses and taps! So here’s the tutorial code:

And the keys.txt key map file (put it in the same directory as your project):

Feel free to use it in any project you fancy if you like it, but make sure you gove me a mention

Now Raven, I’ve been investigating these static objects, but I cant just remove them at the mo for two reasons:
1. My game will slow down so much it will be unbearable
2. The collision system wont work
But I’ll have a go later in the week and see what I can do, cos if it can’t work for everybody, its no good at all.
P.S. if you have a nice floor texture handy, then please email it me and I’ll put it in, (and put you on the credits.)
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2004 22:55
i'll put together a floor tex tommorrow for ya;
as for the game speed.

This is probably because of the visual complexity the graphics card is doing with the Show/Hide routines.
Not sure if your using it but on GeForce cards in DirectX 7, TnL does really gain you quite a fair amount of speed...
As for the collision and rendering, i'd suggest doing it like Wolfenstien did; well albiet a more basic version.

Calculate in a 2D (top down) space what walls would be visible by the player given thier direction: strip those out of view, then those overlapping; you'll end up with basically what the player is seeing and just render show them and hide the rest.

Goldeneye Nemesis
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm, sounds like a very clever Idea, but without intersect object commands it would be tricky. I could hide everything behind the player, and outside a radius, but the function to do that would probably slow the game down more than speed it up, and long corridors might pose a problem.
I'll probably get some inspiration while I'm asleep and have to get up at 2:00AM to code the darn thing, maybe making walls with the same texture an extended plain, then doubling the UV scaling. I'll have a play and post what I come up with.

Watch this space...

P.S. Raven, I'm working on goldeneye again, remember that? I still remember the excellent bond model you made me all those many moons ago.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2004 15:06
i figured you'd given up on goldeneye

Goldeneye Nemesis
Years of Service
User Offline
lol, its a summer hobby, always dust it off and get it a bit further, I'm using nuclear glory now because the BSP commands were what stopped me last time. Its going well, steps and stuff work now, but ladders and doors will take me a while to figure out. But yes the project lives. So if you have some free time in the summer?

If you want, I'll send you the wolf source so you can take a look at the static object stuff? but I know you are a busy man.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2004 18:02
hehee oki, well i'd suggest using my basic3d patch you'll find in the dbp forum and using static object.
Much faster, but then Mike's solved alot of the BSP issues now.

If ya want then sure i'll take a gander over the source of wolf, probably just sit in my inbox for like a week atm considering what i'm doing. Still would be cool.

I might have some free time in July-August depending on how my ide comes along. So sure I might be pursuaded to chip in some more for Goldeneye; after all it is the N64's and Rare's finest achievements ^_^

ya know I might actually be able to see if i can leech some of the original artwork, talk to Mike on monday about it.
I'm sure there shouldn't be a problem in me using it and updating for your use.

Goldeneye Nemesis
Years of Service
User Offline
Original artwork? From goldeneye? Or Wolf? I'm not sure I understand mate, but if you can score original artwork then you are a god!

The wolf source will be sitting pretty in your inbox very soon, but don't pass it around; it is very messy and needs looking at before public release.

Indeed if you would like to help on goldeneye I would really appreciate your help, you have loads of experience, and would be fantastic to have another old-timer working with me. I will finish my MI5 level soon and send you the current build. The weapon system is looking good, almost done there, all I need to do is add a bit of coordinate tweakability in the INI file, ok yes I admit it, I made that word up, and it probably made no sense, but hell! We have goldeneye weapons working and looking great!
Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2004 12:07 Edited at: 30th Jun 2004 12:07
I found two error. After level two I get "runtime error:ERROR 7"
and bullits seem to go through the walls.

Goldeneye Nemesis
Years of Service
User Offline
@Great_Knight

Problem one: You haven’t made level 3 , there are only two levels for now, but you can make the rest with the level editor kit to stop that happening.

Problem two: Yea, bullets do seem to go through walls, despite my best efforts to stop them. I'll have a better look at them when I get chance, but I'm making my new PC so expect it to take me a few days while I get that up and running.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 15:01:35
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 15:01:35