Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Help Texturing 3d Models

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey people. Im new to DarkBASIC, and, never got really involved in any other programming languages except VisualBASIC, and that one is boring. Neways. I have been following the tutorials, and, I have made my own .3ds model of a gun, but, I cant texture it. How do I do that?
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2002 04:06
You can texture with a program called Lithium Unwrap. It is available from Simples website at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/toneth/

Im not the 3d guy around here- so I cant help you any further. OK- someone else take over from here! Act? Simple? Someone??!!!

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
Upcoming- MMOFPS- Paintball Game: HELP WANTED!
Http://halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
ChronicFear
Years of Service
User Offline
Ahhh, That didnt help much. I loaded my 3d model, and all these weird lines showed up. Isnt there some command, or way to do it in Rhinocerus 3d modeling?

Your suffering cause of me its divine
-Korn-
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2002 05:20
those "weird lines" are the verticies of your model. You export them to a bitmap, fill them in, and use that as the model texture.
ChronicFear
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there anyway I could just take an already made texture, and somehow fit em onto that verticy?

-Korn-
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2002 23:31
Is Rhino ripped- or a trial version? That may be a problem. What did you make the texture with?

RPGamer

ChronicFear
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, No, its not ripped, its the full version. But, my friend is getting me the full version on Wenseday, along with 3d studio max. I think I might know the problem, but, im not sure. The whole Lithunwrap thing is to complex. The verticies and stuff, I dont know how to work it. If someone here could texture these 3d models for me, that would be great. These textures are off the DarkBASIC site, the freeware ones

-Korn-
ChronicFear
Years of Service
User Offline
Correction, its the trial version

-Korn-
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 14:04
-But, my friend is getting me the full version on Wenseday, along with 3d studio max

Geez your friend looks rich!!Mind if he buys me a copy too?

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
ChronicFear
Years of Service
User Offline
LOL. He doesnt use it so hes giving it to me

-Korn-
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 16:43
LithUnwrap is not too complex to use.

Quote:
*The whole Lithunwrap thing is to complex. The verticies and stuff, I dont know how to work it. If someone here could texture these 3d models for me, that would be great.*

Depending on what you are trying to map... I have a basic tutorial on how LithUnwrap works + some more tips in my texturing tut which is on my downloads page.

And below is a link to PSI's tutorial page ( which has a very good LithUnwrap totorial on it.

http://xu1productions.com/3dstudio/tutorials.html

My advice to you is to follow these tutorials... there NOT that complex. This would be in your own interest, cos people won't do it for you all the time... and one day you will need a model mapped, and there will be no one to do it.

The only problem I've found with UVmapping is the fact that it's a necessary evil ... and can sometimes take longer than the acual model took to make.

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 TV out - 30gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom - CDRW - Firewire - ATI TV card - All linked to another PC with higher spec
ChronicFear
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the info. Im just confused on how its done. I made my own gun model for my first person shooter, and, I need it textured. I looked into the tutorials for Lithunwrap, but, it just confused me more. It didnt explain what the operations did at all. Neways, I need to be able to talk to someone 1 on 1 to help explain this to me, do you have AIM?

-Korn-
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 18:22
Hehe, another KoRn fan, gotta give some theory pointers just for that .

Ok, plain mapping, one of the most used mapping methods, although a mix of 2 or more methods is common.

You have a gun, now imagine you just squashed it flat, like a piece of paper. Basic plain mapping would have a similar effect to this - in fact it's common practice to use a photograph of a gun as the texture, and as a model guide. Plain mapping works a bit better in Max than in Lith, because in max you can move and rotate the Plain gadget before texturing, so really, it is like projecting the texture right through the model. The idea is to plain map each piece at a sensible angle, to make drawing the texture easier and make it look better - this is something that need practice though.

Now each polygon on the model is probably polygon mapped, meaning each poly uses the entire texture, you need to change the texturing so that the texture covers the gun how you want it to. Now, if you use Lithunwrap you just select the lot and select Plain mapping, Simples tutorials will show you howto do this in detail. Now, you have a UV mapped model, which won't look great, but it's a good learning point. If you save the UV map as an image, you can use it as a guide for drawing your texture, I like to paste these as seperate layers so they act as handy outlines.

From here, experiment, a lot, UV mapping is not easy, I actually find it more difficult and frustrating than modelling. Once you know how Lithunwrap works though, it'll be much easier, persevere!.

Van-B
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 14:08
LOL. He doesnt use it so hes giving it to me

He could sell it Thats one nice friend!

I think Rhino, like 3ds max has a built in exporting device that doesnt allow models to work outside the trial version. This is just to protect users from downloading the trial over and over again Not sure though...

RPGamer

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 14:40
The Rhino trial version allows 30 saves, or exports.

But, the makers of Rhino really need to think about clipboards and what can be done with them. But at the end of the day - Rhino is only about £300.

Van-B
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 15:12
-Rhino is only about £300.

HC!That's a 1000$ in Canada...Is it possible to make low polygon with it...I mean,I know it must've an extrusion tool but are there mesh editing tools for edges and faces or is it more of a generic render tool?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 16:36
Rhino is has amazing low poly possibilites.

Everything starts as nurbs, so you make your base model with nurbs, so you get the benefits of object addition/subtraction etc. Then you convert it to a mesh, then you select control points and your mesh editing. It is really easy to use. I would'nt say it was ideal for character modelling, because you don't have as much control over the mesh as Milkshape or Max - but for machinery, vehicles, weapons, levels etc etc it is great.

Put this way, I can do 10 times as much in Rhino than in max in the same time. The interface is great. You can scroll and zoom while doing any modelling function - that's including the 3D view. And most of the tools you'll need are in little icons at the left side of the screen, each one or 2 clicks away - sorta like a 2D CAD package.

Give the demo a whirl.

Van-B
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 17:15
-Give the demo a whirl.

Yeah I'm gonna do just that,looks pretty neat and easy

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 17:16
-Rhino 3.0 Evaluation Download is currently unavailable due to system maintenance.

-Please try downloading again in a couple hours

DOH!always happens to me.

ChronicFear
Years of Service
User Offline
LOL. Sounds like you guys are having fun. Neways, how would I go about making curves in objects. I want to make an M-16, but, I need to make curves and stuff for it. How do you do that?

If yall want, I know someone who has the crack for it

-Korn-
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 21:39
-LOL. Sounds like you guys are having fun. Neways, how would I go about making curves in objects. I want to make an M-16, but, I need to make curves and stuff for it. How do you do that?

I don't get it.Do you mean curves as in the barrels roundness?

-If yall want, I know someone who has the crack for it

I don't do that...

ChronicFear
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I mean like, shapes that curve. Not like a cylinder, but, custom shapes. And, I just thought you guys might like one

-Korn-
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2002 10:28
Curvey nurbs shapes are not a good idea. They're far too polygon intensive. You really have to plan your model first. For example, if I wanted to make the reload handle on a shotgun - that would mean a sausage type shape. Now I'd make an octogon from polylines, and extrude it into a solid nurbs object. Now for however many mid-point controls I want, I copy and paste it in a row. If I have it taper 2 twice at the ends, that means 5 seperate octogon blocks in a row. Now I'd add them all together using object addition and convert the whole lot to a polygon mesh - specifying minimum detail. Now I'm free to mould the shape, using the Control Points, All I'd really have to do is scale the sections, 2 ends get resized to about half the diameter, penultimate sections get scaled to about 80% the size.

Ohh, 1 GOLDEN rule in Rhino, Never use the reduce polycount tool, it's seriously unreliable.

Van-B
ChronicFear
Years of Service
User Offline
Van, are you the one who made Vantrans?

-Korn-
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2002 20:15
hehe let me answer this....NO!

Just kidding yeah that's Da Man!

ChronicFear
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I cant use my textures in it. I even shrank them to 128, and there are all 24 bit BMP's

-Korn-
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2002 00:24
Upload one of them so I can check it...if you want.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2002 11:03
Yeah, let us have a look. What did you use to draw the texture?, I haven't come accross any bitmap loading bugs, so it might be a weird format I've not seen. Vanseam might do a nice job of insuring the images work perfectly. You could load it into Vanseam, check the tileability of the texture, then save it out as 128x128, that's how I do it.

If you can't upload, you could email it to vanbsoftware@hotmail.com

Van-B

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 18:05:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 18:05:38