Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Eight Towers - NEW DEMO and SCREENSHOTS - Diablo Style gameplay with a twist!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 16:58
At long last! The new 8 Towers demo is finaly here!

8 Towers features both third and first person action-based gameplay with random level generation, so it's different every time you play. Collect weapons, armor and powerful spells to aid you as you fight your way to the top of each tower. Find monster eggs and raise them as familiars to battle alongside you. Conquer the 8 Towers while constructing your own tower and village.

There have been some serious changes in the last few months and I think a new demo is in order!

*Majorly overhauled character and monster graphics
*Redone HUD
*Items now found in barrels, crates, etc.
*Tweaked AI
*Rebalanced difficulty
*Numerous bug fixes
*New music
*New enemies
*Redone special effects

Have fun! Any and all suggestions are welcome!

http://www.shrikesoftware.com/8Setup.exe

File Size: 11MB

Screen Shots:

www.shrikesoftware.com
Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 17:00
Sorry, the correct download URL is:

http://www.shrikesoftware.com/8Tsetup.exe

8Setup.exe has a slight bug that causes the program to run when you restart your computer. 8Tsetup.exe fixes this and the uninstaller works fine for both.

www.shrikesoftware.com
pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
hey how did Mr purps cherries get in your dungeon

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 19:19
ever since i heard about this game i've always wanted to download and try it, unfortunately, the link was always down, but now, it's here, i'm stuck with a crap win NT computer well, when i get my laptop back i'll be sure to give it a go! nice work though, judging from the screenies i'm gonna enjoy this

your birth was a blessing, sent to live and die on earth as a lesson, we each have a star all you have to do is find it, once you do, everyone who sees it will be blinded - DMX
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 22:02
I cant get off the ship...
Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 22:09
Talk to the two other characters then go back and talk to the old wizard again.

www.shrikesoftware.com
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 22:52
Wow, nice on m8! Its an amazing game!

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 23:23
I can't get off the ship niether
When i do the game just crashes to desktop ... :: sighs ::
if its not unseen buildings its something else.

Can't wait until this is ported to Pro

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 00:42
I Managed to get as far as the screen fading on the ship and then got a blue screen of death.

Jas
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 02:33
This looks pretty sweet! Downloading now. I hope it works and doesn't crash my machine. Many DB1 games don't work under XP even with compatibilty modes

Translate to PRO Translate to PRO!!!! Plllleeeeeease?

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 02:54
The game works perfect for me. Ive got windows XP

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 04:23
Just downloaded it and man its really cool!

Love the atmosphere and the controls are spot on.

BUT crashes as soon as you try and go to the training area

WinXP AMD800 512Mb 64MbGF4MX

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 06:03
Hey!!! Kain!
It looks very nice indeed, downloading in a minute.
Might I suggest one thing though? Your textures look great, but for example: the grass, and the dark stone dungeon walls: scale the textures so their smaller. The appear out of scale, giving it a slightly "patched together" look. At least that's what I think...

Gonna test it out ASAP.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 06:25
OMG! The improvement is AMAZING!!! I died withing 5 minutes of entering the tower, but I never was good at this type of game

The game is actually two games in my mind, town building and tower... tower-running.
I LOVE IT!

congratulations!

PS- Could you tell me one thing? How do you program your game? I mean, the events that occur, ie- talking to someone in a town. Are they hard-coded, or do you have some sort of entity system, or script going on? Of course, if it's a secret I understand

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 15:58
That's really too bad about the crashes The only thing I can think of is that perhaps SET GAMMA causes the problem.

About porting it to Pro...well, its highly incompatible. I had always planned to port it but in an email from Lee, he said that there are so many compatability issues its best just to start from scratch. 8 Towers is 23,000 lines long. I am not starting from scratch. I'll try to port it, but I can't make any promises.

Rapscallion, thanks for the encouragement! I don't have any qualms about sharing my coding style. It, like everything else I do, is a bit strange There is no real "entity" system. The talking basicaly works by having a loop where text is displayed in three lines by variables. Depending on what NPC you talk to, those variables get set to certain text lines prior to going into the loop. So its hard coded, sort of...

www.shrikesoftware.com
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 16:46
the training place works fine for me but only If i go there first

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 22:44
23000? I can see why porting may not be feasable...

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 22:49
No crashes here! I got to floor 7 Im good Only prob is- some monsters can shoot thru walls

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
Upcoming- MMOFPS- Paintball Game: HELP WANTED!
Http://halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2002 02:19
'No crashes here! I got to floor 7 Im good Only prob is- some monsters can shoot thru walls '

I got there too!

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2002 15:40
Yeah I'm porting projects that are bigger than this. Admittedly its a pain in the arse but for the new effects, and extra stability, speed and compatibility (eventually) I'd say its worth it. Its a quality game from what I can see tho

Only suggestion I would add is that your player models are great for in game play, but don't look so hot zoomed in on the character select screen - Why not have a more detailed 2d drawing for people to select? No offense just a suggestion. Other than that the game looked very proffessional

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2002 22:56
and could you clarify with some text or something, what exactly the bars represent... I still don't know

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2002 23:58
Kangaroo, yeah I may try again but my preliminary attempts did not go well.

Rapscallion, lol I never thought about that. The green and yellow bar on the left is your familiar's life. The purple and pink at the bottom is your magic, and the green and red is your life.

That help?

www.shrikesoftware.com
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2002 00:58
Porting the project shouldn't be too difficult, and i best to start the whole code all over again rather than just simple using Pro engine instead - mainly because of Pro's setup you can enhance even more speed and features using a different setup and possibly make the code alot smaller.

I'm trying out alot more new versions of DirectX, Omega nVidia and nVidia Driver combinations - trying to find one which works perfectly ... gonna be a balance between compatibility and speed from what i can tell thou
ho hum

atleast i get to test on my laptop which doesn't really need top notch speed at all times.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2002 01:29
lmao... this is stupid, i just installed 9.0 release over my 9.2 debug - it don't crash no more, instead i can't see the buildings
:: shakes fist at cruel fate ::
maybe the new nVidia drivers will help

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2002 06:04
I can't feel your pain Raven Vegeta, but I can imagine it :S
23000 lines would be a REAL bitch to port to DBS I'd imagine, excuse the term of course, but it might just pay off. On the other hand, it may be worse

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2002 22:49
This is exactly the kind of project that (If it would run on my system) I would definitely Register. I like to find the best examples of independant games and try and encorage them

If you ever do a nice Pro port which runs stably in XP I and I would hazzard a guess many others, would be very willing to pay to play

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 02:45
this has got to be the longest running developed game in DB certainly
i mean hasn't changed much in the last year, but for a one man game is quite amazing

vivi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 17:54
As soon as i saw this game I wanted it and now its no different.

WHY WAIT FOR GAMES.......MAKE THEM COME TO YOU
>>>>>>>>>>>www.shark-software.20m.com<<<<<<<<<<<
vivi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 17:56
What did you use to make the characters they rule

vivi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 18:03
Why dont you get an artist from the forums...........there are alot of good artists using DB and o work on this game would be an honour.....its just a thought

Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2002 17:18
Believe it or not I use DOGA to create most of my characters and 3d Canvas to animate them.

www.shrikesoftware.com
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2002 20:28
Speaking of animations, I wouldn't port to pro yet until the animation system is fixed. If you append more than 1 animation to an object, you'll start finding frames going missing and interpolation non-existent. I've tried everything,but my characters still cant loop their animations properly, so I've had to come up with a hundred work arounds.

The game does look superb though. Makes me want to jump into some form of fantasy game again. I made a random dungeon generator also, and it did my head in. I eventually made some AI to traverse the corridors and rip holes in walls when it couldnt get to a certain section. I used 46 individually made .x models. I'm curious as to how you did yours. I'll have to download them demo as soon as I'm finshed uploading.

Looking forward to it.

Machine: P4 2200, 512MB, GeForce4 64MB, Audigy Platinum

There's a junglist inside every coder. http://www.kontact-kru.com for my own personal breakbeat terrorism.
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 05:02
Um, does the installer or game place a shortcut in the windows startup dir? Because whenever I start my comp, the game starts as well. No big deal really, I removed it manuelly but was thas an accident caused by me or my comp, or intentional?

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 05:51
If you read my second post I give you the correct URL and states the problem with the first. Miss that one?

"Sorry, the correct download URL is:

http://www.shrikesoftware.com/8Tsetup.exe

8Setup.exe has a slight bug that causes the program to run when you restart your computer. 8Tsetup.exe fixes this and the uninstaller works fine for both."

Or is the second URL somehow doing that?

www.shrikesoftware.com
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2002 05:37
yeah i noticed that Raps... you have to go into the Taskbar (if in XP set to Classic Windows mode) and then access Startup directory cause it installs to there too

I'd like to see Kain get in a full artist, perhaps if Act isn't to busy that would be a good partnership i think.
On the matter of Pro no point in using the built in animation stuff isn't particularly great even in DB Std|Ehd
no instead perhaps when i get back to my watford place i'll dig out a backup HDD with Bryce's (anyone remember him?) BHV animator
Perhaps coax kentaree into adding in the support in his animator to give a really basic skeletal animation system, which is well deserved and i'm surprised no one has released thier own yet.

Ben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2002 12:42
your game is really good but like the othres my XP pro crashed it when it's not in win95 compatability.
a couple of things that could be better:
1:when you die it crashes straight back to the desktop. is it s'posed to do that?
2: where it says 'evolution' it would be a bit clearer if it said 'evolves to:' and stated what level it evolves at.
3:i comleted the training tower and was rather surprised that floor 9 was harder than the boss. so he could do with being uglier i-)

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 05:41
ya, I missed that. No surprise there...

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 10:31
i can't get that far
non of the buildings appear... i have a feelin' i'm gonna be reinstalling 29.14 again soon lol

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 13:53:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 13:53:07