Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / multiplayer fps

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 14:40
Hi everybody!
Ive been coding in db for several years now but i only just got round to logging on to the forum. It's about time i actually started building a game instead of just sitting around making AI demonstrations and colourful effects float about the screen. So i've pulled out all the ancient game designs that i did during secondary school (before i knew anything about game creation) and thought up an achiveable project. It may be a bit of an overused genre but i was thinking of making a First person shooter with ... wait for it ... vehicles! In the style of Operation Flashpoint but with faster gameplay. I've just finished the suspension for the cars and I'm in the process of building the landscape system (i wil be using heightmaps) err.. and I've completed the basic menu structure and network connections. This may take a while but i should have some early screenshots fairly soon. Uhoh gotta go..
Daih Thel phae 'e, clann 'e phaen
Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 15:09
Ok i'm back..

... *cant remember what was going*

Ah yes it should be mainly a team game where the leader of each team can buy and sell vehicles and weapons with funds gained by fighting the other teams. So you will start the game with fairly basic weapons and as you kill and destroy other units your leader will be gaining more cash. This brings up the problem of teams getting too powerful too quickly so the game gets a bit one sided. Hmm any ideas?. AI isn't too much of a problem for me because i really enjoy doing it. It just takes time. Anyway, don't want to release too much information so i'll shut up now.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 20:50
This sounds like a nice idea, but any online multiplayer game where players get stronger as they progress (kinda rpg like) can become one sided. This is one reason I don't really enjoy MMORPGs.

But a FPS game with vehicles is a cool (if not original) project. Good Luck!

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2002 15:46
I've come up with an idea on how to make the game a little less one sided. When you kill a player from a dominating team you get more money than if you killed one from a team with less points.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2002 22:33
Cool idea, could work nicely

CodeBase3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Why is here DUTCH???

KamaKase
Years of Service
User Offline
"But a FPS game with vehicles is a cool (if not original) project. Good Luck!"

How about C&C renegade.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 13:11
Hidden&Dangerous too

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 04:42
I said not original in the sense that there are a lot of them. That doesn't mean a game can't add its own ideas and be original in its own right. Otherwise there would be litterally NO new games, as pretty much every base genre currently possible has been made. I wasn't being derogatory - most of my games are just polished clones with fun twists or involving plot

REALLY starting to loose control of my bowels every time I see a post by Codebase3d. Dude, you're bad for my health!

Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 13:08
Also there must be hundreds of rpgs and action games out there following the same lines as each other. Anyway i have chosen what to do and for once i may actually get it near the finish lines (Although i havent shown you much yet, .. well nothing actually but theres not much to see so far, i could put a scrnsht of the main menu up tonight though).

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2003 21:53
I've often thought of the problem of one side becoming stronger and figured the best course of action is to give the looser more funds but giving the victor veteran units as their reward. Winning is about prestige, and there's more prestige in a small elite force than in a mass of tanks and artillery.

Pneumatic of Xev@EQ
God made the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
k0shi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2003 20:46
Unreal Tournament!

What you give is what you get.
.....:::<>-<K0shi>-<>:::.....
Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2003 00:27
I don't remember UT having vehicles in it. I may be wrong because i didn't really play it much.
I prefer QIII.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2003 00:15
No I play Unreal T 2003 and there are no vehicles. However, Halo is another matter - plus OFlashpoint, America Army, B1942 etc. It'll b cool if you can get the mix right tho

Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2003 15:59
I can't belive it ... I spent all last night (well not all night) retyping the landscape section of my program coz i wasn't looking at the screen and i went and saved over it with my heightmap maker. GRRRRrrrRRRrrRRR.
ArrrRGGG
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
AAAAArrrrrrrrrr

Buurn the computer...

But computers are good...

I hate computers ...

NO wait i don't

That was close, almost lost control there. Anyway i got it back now. Maybe i should back up my work more often. The rest is still safe, luckily.

Sorry about the lack of screen shots and other stuff they will be here.

OFFSPRiNCo16
Years of Service
User Offline
there are vehicles in ut2003...but you cant use the vehicle normally, it needs to be placed in the map or a console command needs to be inputed to spawn it.

Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2003 05:35
This sounds like counterstrike with vehicals, counterstrike is cool but one thing dosn't make sence. If the SWAT team is sent to take out terrorist, why do they half to pay for there guns?

Also I problem I forsee is, say a jeep costs $5,000 so you work up, youve got $4,998 just about to buy the jeep, then the host changes maps and you half to start all over again.

I think this would cause people to want their computersout their windows..... but maby not.... just a guess
Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2003 14:42
I have taken into consideration the fact that the host may change the map so at the beginning of the game you can decide to have the funds carry over to the next map. I was thinking of having a lobby idea where you are connected to the others in between matches. This way your money from one game can continue to the next. Also i was trying to avoid the repetitiveness of counterstrike as i don't really like the game, you will respawn in my game (deathmatch style). Counterstrike uses bsp for the maps and i think vehicles need large areas to drive around and bsp is not great for creating vast landscapes.

Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2003 14:49
I've almost finished a really cool flight engine for my game (i decided to have aircraft in there as well). It takes everything into account, air desity, ground effect...

Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2003 01:24
so more like tribes?
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2003 04:06
yes tribe AA is like this i would like this game
PS What lang. is you quote thing look like the celtic dialect but im just curiosaih Thel phae 'e, clann 'e phaen

If His Sword Falls And Gaurdian Lies Slain,
His Blood Was Not Spilt On Dirt In Vain,
So Let That Be a Lesson And Rest For The New Day
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2003 04:07
oops put a : and a D together my bad

If His Sword Falls And Gaurdian Lies Slain,
His Blood Was Not Spilt On Dirt In Vain,
So Let That Be a Lesson And Rest For The New Day
CarlTaylor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2003 07:51
just thought id give blazer a quick tip... its "have" not half

sounds like a cool game, good luck!

baseball = life
Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2003 13:08
...So more like tribes...
Yes i noticed the game is actually starting to look a bit like tribes, well at least the ideas are and maybe the landscape system. I have not played tribes before but i've seen screenshots and reviews etc...

You probably won't find the dodgy language thing and I'd be extremely supprized if you did. Thats because it came from a table top role play game i am currently making. Me being the stupid fool that i am, i went and made an anchient language for it. (Yes i am that sad) But the game is very cool. It's a violent mixture of many game systems (Mainly D20) and is set in a low fantasy dark age. Hopefully soon i will have a nice web page where i can put lots of stuff about role plays and my mad schemes in the programming world.

Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2003 13:15
Oh yes "Daih Thel phae 'e, clann 'e phaen" means "The end is coming, Death is near" just in case you really want to know. It's a quote from a piece i wrote as a beginning to the story line for my table top rpg.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2003 20:35
Ya know unless you're using choppers, these level are going to have to be HUGE!

This is Truth!
This is my Belief!
...at least for now.
Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2003 11:22
choppers and hovercraft, no fixed wing aircraft.
The maps are also quite large, just because they look good that way. The approximate scaled distance from one edge to the other is 1.28 KM.

Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2003 13:17
I made a console for my game last night. you can type stuff in and the text scrolls up 1 line when you press enter.
So far theres 1 command! 'col r,g,b;' which changes the colour schemes of the console and other text.

I've got to think up a decent name for my game rather than just 'the game' or 'my game' so any ideas for a name are welcome.

Fluffy Paul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2003 16:45
Leave the name till last!
Until you're ready to put it on the net give it a random name from dictionary words and a number
e.g. electro-badger 2200

Ending a sentence with a French word is so passé
Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2003 12:55
Yeah i guess.
Got vehicle engines in the making at the moment, suspension and skidding factors. I've nearly completed the flight engines (just got the choppers stall physics to do, retreating blade stall...etc).
It would all be much easier if the free-flight rotation commands were in the same format as euler rotation
eg. qrotate obj,x,y,z
because quite often i need to know the agles and i don't like to increment a variable at the same speed as the turn/pitch object commands.

I'm also trying to make a web site to put some screen shots and details about my projects up. This will probably take quite a long time because i'm a real n00b when it comes to internet stuff. I will keep posting though to let you know it's going.

Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 12:17
DoH !!! Why does everything have to happen at once.
This project, The Retro Compo and bloody coursework.
Hmm i could do with a nice new graphics card, i'll have to stick the fps on hold for a while.

Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2003 13:21
Ok the edit post thing doesn't work yet.

there are some screenshots at http://www.freewebs.com/bdonline/BDhome_scr1.htm

age10programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2003 01:20
Cool

Dumb-below normal intellegance
Dumber-way below normal intellegance
Dumberer-Gir

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 05:42:23