Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Information about middle-ages...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 15:05
Hello to our English friends.

I'm a leader of some russian game-making team. We are working under the project (the name isn't matter). Its subject is hardly tied to the middle ages in England, you understand, I think, for example such games as Stronghold or Medieval: TW. The problem is in absence of information about that age. I was in many museums to take photos and read a lot of books, but ufortunately it isn't enought . So help us please, may be somebody knows exactly the names of books to find them in libruaries? Or even some information in internet?

This respect, Net Eraser.
Russian Federation. Saint-Petersburg

P.S Sorry for bad english ...
pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 15:22
There's plenty of information about medevial England and/or the Dark Ages...

Its a very interesting subject.

Good news everybody! I really am THAT good...
Kale
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 20:03
what do you need to know about the middle ages?

What the flame does not consume, consumes the flame.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD XP2100+, Geforce4Ti 4400, 512Mb DDR, Abit KX7, WinXP Home
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2002 23:25
hey net... ya know your english is better than most of my russian friends

if you need info about the middle ages probably best simply to ask here, i mean my brother is like an encyclopedia on English History and Dinosaurs (god knows why but it comes in handy)

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Viktor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2002 00:44
I allways though, Russian coders code mostly for Pentagon, Scorpion, Sprinter and other clones of Spectrum...

PC: AMD 1200/512 Mb SDR/GF2MX Dual Display/Win2000, 19" Monitor
ZX: Spectrum 128+ Customized version.
Current Project: BMP2SCR Pro (with LDIR)
n3t3r453r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2002 12:16
To Victor: you were wrong Were is a lot of Russian coders on C/C++ (I'm too), Delphi, Blitz, assembler; but there is too litle DB coders, and i think it isn't very bad ... Because there is no competition.

To pathfinder: thanks.

To Kale: cool avatar!
Viktor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2002 16:21
@Net Eraser: Okay, I was wrong, but this came because I saw last time so much excellent new ZX Spectrum releases from Russia. In the Russian games I do not like the cyrilics, because they are not easy to read, the Tech specs (Not everyone has so excellent optimized Computers, and in the case of ZX, the TR-DOS), only few games came out in English language, and working correctly with western Computers (Yep, I purchased some games in Russia last summer, and most of them did not even install correctly on my PC). Hope, you will not lock out the European users this time.

n3t3r453r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2002 17:59
To Viktor: What do you mean using the words "western computers" ??? There were in Sovet their own computers with the three-phase processors (not 1010010..., but 102221001), but all them were top-secreted and go to the army production. And now all we use "western computers", for example I have P4 1.7, GeForce4 MX 460 64Mb (MS-8886), 128 Rimm, WINXPpro.

By the way I don't know any Russian (not Ukraine) normal game too Only except "Cossacs"
haggisman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2002 18:05
There's plenty of information about medevial England and/or the Dark Ages...

I always thought they called that period the dark ages because of the lack of information about the period, im sure i was taught in school all the monks had writers block

Specs:- 1GHZ athlon, Radeon8500, 192mb ram, winxp
Jeffro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2002 18:16
You could try this book -

'The Year 1000 - An Englishmans's Year' by Robert Lacey and Danny Danziger.

It provides information on the daily/monthly activities of typical people in England through the year. It may provide some background information.

It's never as easy as it looks!
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2002 19:24
Well, I would recommend to take a look on www.amazon.com, they have a plenty of books there. But once they did not delivered the books I've ordered ( Programming and Black Magic... lol ). And I'm still fighting with the Post Office here in Sweden to get my money back, I won't recomend you. Some friends here purchased some books from www.amazon.co.uk. I won't give it a shot though, the ones I've ordered were already too expensive to do not even smell them. Oh yeah I had a girlfriend from Russia once . I think Thai and Russia girls rules...

"Never argue with an Idiot, they will always bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
-- Rogue
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2002 19:27
Oh yeah... if someone wonder what the heck I wanted with Black Magic books, it should be for a game I was doing. When u use real historical facts for a game and not fantasy tales, so you have to make a big research and read loads of crap

"Never argue with an Idiot, they will always bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
-- Rogue
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2002 22:40
Nope they're called the dark ages, because basically the pure horrific acts they did back then are just unrepeatable on such a public chat. Its always why they're known as Medevil - because it was all fluffy bunni hugging?

Who cares what programming computer he is using, because he is doing this in DarkBasic - as DarkBasic would actually be more buggy on a Russian based computer rather than an IBM-Compatible, then he wouldn't be using DarkBasic so really i don't see compatiblity being an issue here Viktor kinda uncalled for comment no?

tum ti tum well still waiting for questions

haggisman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2002 22:45
The Dark Ages
Early scholars gave the name "Dark Ages" to the period in Europe after the fall of the Roman Empire. During this period, barbarian Goths, Vandals, and Huns swept down on Europe from the north and east. They destroyed many fine buildings and works of art that had existed during Roman times. During the Dark Ages, knowledge survived only in monasteries, and there were very few schools. Many of the old arts and crafts were lost. This is why the time was called the "Dark Ages."

The eastern Roman Empire was not conquered by the barbarians. There, the arts still flourished. People were still thinking and making fine works of art in other parts of the world. In China and India, great civilizations grew and spread. In the 1000s, Europe began to slowly recover from its artistic darkness. The lost knowledge of the ancient Greeks and Romans was found again. There was a new interest in learning, and the richer life of the Middle Ages began.

Specs:- 1GHZ athlon, Radeon8500, 192mb ram, winxp
ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Viktor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 20:45
@Net Eraser: Western Computers=Western bad Windoze, Eastern Computers=Eastern bad Windows or Linux. I have three games that are locked to eastern PC´s. Even if I set the region to former Soviet Union, they did not install on my western PC...
And pssst, do not talk about military secrects of eastern Eurasia, I do not want to be the one who knows too much...

Caldazarian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 21:27
Net Eraser,

Here are a few sites that may interest you:

http://orb.rhodes.edu/index.html
http://web.princeton.edu/sites/Medieval/
http://ebbs.english.vt.edu/medieval/medieval.ebbs.html
http://labyrinth.georgetown.edu/
http://www.netserf.org/History/Military/Wars/Crusades/
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbook.html
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~medieval/links/
http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/fnart/arch/gothic_arch.html
http://www.acsamman.edu.jo/~ms/crusades/

These should get you started.

Just to let people know, I am a web researcher, or seeker. I can find anything on the web.

Cheers,

Will

It is written in the stone, the Laws of Life...
Written in the stone, the Promise of Death...
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2002 01:52
Viktor i use a Japanese laptop alot, infact is what i'm using now with XP's the user input thingie ...
they are far more stable than most "western" computers, and as they're all practically the same build now from the same components its now only windows that changes into 2bit instead of 1bit base code, really don't understand your problem.

Russian computers are different from Japanese, just as Japanese are different from Chinese, Blah Blah ... infact the fact that almost all "western" computers run on ansii|ascii whereas the "eastern" have all the variations is probably the only real different. And most don't even have that now cause most of the world uses either Windows, Linux, Unix or Solaris - all of which are based on ANSII
so erm... back to the point in hand call a Russian computer a russian comp, cause thats what it is, not easten not asian but Russian.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 01:20:17
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 01:20:17