Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Mario fans rejoice!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 15:42 Edited at: 29th Jul 2004 17:40
I just finished the first version of my 2D fighter, Enter the Mario.

You're going to need a friend to play this, but if you both have a gamepad (or make that bum of a friend bring his own), you can have a console-style duel.

If you want to see screenshots, have a look at the Enter the Mario section of my site (link in my sig).

What it does that's even remotely cool:
- 6 levels to choose from
- Customizable configuation
- Hidden button combos (and no, I'm not gonna tell you )
- Slow-time feature (I think this is a first in fighting games?)
- Much, much more...(don't you just love that line?)

Anyway, you can get it in 2 flavors, with or without an intro movie.

With Intro (26 MB):
http://www.dbspot.com/messiah/etm/v1intro.zip

Without Intro (11 MB):
http://www.dbspot.com/messiah/etm/v1sans.zip

Then get the Version 1.1 Patch (3.6 MB):
http://www.dbspot.com/messiah/etm/v11patch.zip

Hope someone enjoys this .

EDIT: Updated this post to version 1.1 from the original Alpha 3.0.

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 16:44 Edited at: 17th Jul 2004 16:44
pretty fun!! the graphics are nice (of course), and the control was pretty good.

I would have liked to see a smoother jump though (try using a sin() function for your jump routine)

also, you forgot to include the "glfw.dll" file with your .exe! I had to go download it to get the game to run. perhaps you have the .dll in your system directory? but many users don't, so you should include it with your .exe!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
MasterInsan0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2004 18:12 Edited at: 17th Jul 2004 20:45
Argh, I can't believe I didn't think of that (the DLL). Sorry about that. I'll upload a version that includes it now.

EDIT: Alright, the downloads should be OK now.

Hmm, as far as the sin() function goes, Trig is not my strong point, so any suggestions are highly welcome, heheh.

DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 14:33
That had to be one of the coolest DBP games Ive ever played... I REALLY like the intro & music! Very well done!

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 15:07
Great game. You might want to add some protection against double binding keys though.

MasterInsan0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 16:34
Hmmm...that's a good idea, LiT, I'll do that, heheh. Thanks.

Dennuz666 v2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 17:39
Sorry, dissappointment to me
This one had to be in the 'Work in Progress' forum and in my opinion is far from finished. I'm not trying to burn your game down but i've added some comments, keep it up :

- Add a standard config for the keyboard inputs.
- Why 18Mb for this intro? Trie to use sprites. I know it's more work but it's sooo much better/cleaner. Now people maybe won't see your intro.
- In general i found the game large sized in Mbs. You could bring back the quality of your MP3's (92k/s will do). And maybe use JPG high quality instead of BMP? 1.5 Mb is way too large for a static background.
- The game ran more than 600 fps, so it was unplayable to me. This is an issue with many released DB games. So please add an 'sync rate' of some kind
- No CPU to battle (I know this is hard to do).

MasterInsan0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2004 18:14 Edited at: 18th Jul 2004 18:35
Well, I'm sorry I've disappointed you.

I don't have a standard config for keyboard inputs because keyboard is supposed to be a last resort in case you don't have a couple of gamepads lying around. At least it saves the config eh?

The intro is 18 MB because it was made in Flash and you can't really go much smaller than that without sacrificing a lot of quality.

The game is too large, I agree. I've been working on cutting back size since the release (because just as you hate downloading 30 MB, I hate uploading it, heheh), and I'm getting there. 8 MB have been shaved so far, with the biggest things being the backgrounds, animations (intro, etc.), and the EXE itself (sheesh, 8 MB for an EXE?).

You must have a massive computer to run this game at over 600 FPS...I have a pretty good computer and it runs 200. I will work on slowing it down for faster computers, but I can't really test it until next release.

The CPU is coming later, as for right now the game is not supposed to have a CPU, it's supposed to be a 2-player fun-thing, heheh. This also relates somewhat to the reason this is not in the WIP board. This is the 1.0 version of the 2-player fun-thing, whereas it's the Alpha 3.0 of the overall game.

The overall game will have animated backgrounds (I hope, heheh), multiple characters, AI in story mode (Mortal Kombat-style), more special moves, and a sort of Adventure Mode, ala Super Smash Brothers, where you can play good, old-fashioned Mario, except with super powers, heheh. Once I begin work on the Multiple Characters, I'm going to stop updating this, because at that point I'll essentially be working on another game.

Anyway, I hope that helps ease some of the disappointment, and thanks for your suggestions (especially the high-quality JPG thing...I can't believe I didn't think of that).

UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2004 01:14
to slow the game down for fast computer symply type

That will mean the program will run at a maximum speed of 200fps

I'm Right and Reality is lying
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2004 17:01
IIIIIIIIII LIKE it, except for the 650 FPS and uncontrollable fast parts... but it's COOOOOOOOOOOL

<Mnemonix> im seroulsiy frunk to doaty
http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 04:46
Hillarious. The only bad thing is that you are violating major copyright laws. The mp3 will get you into hot water probably faster than the mario rips.

Quote: " Timesoft - Your wife is death. How? NO idea.
But it is murder. REVENGE!!!!!!!!!"

Hands down the funniest synopsis for a game ever. All your base are belong to us!
MasterInsan0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2004 06:16
That's true, but they really can't say anything unless I try to sell it. If they have nothing better to do but pick on small-time game developers like me, then there's something wrong.

Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2004 20:54
Quote: "That's true, but they really can't say anything unless I try to sell it."

That couldn't be more wrong. This is why mp3 trading is illegal. You're not selling it, but you're not allowed to share it either.

Quote: " Timesoft - Your wife is death. How? NO idea.
But it is murder. REVENGE!!!!!!!!!"

Hands down the funniest synopsis for a game ever. All your base are belong to us!
MasterInsan0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 09:23
Heheh. I don't mean any disrespect to Nintendo or Warner Bros or whoever the copyright laws belong to. I mean more to pay them tribute than to do anything else. If they tell me to stop my project, then they had better go through and destroy a good portion of Newgrounds.com, considering a lot of their material is used there too. They should shut down every last sprite site, and every fan site. There's a popular freeware game called Super Mario XP that hasn't been killed.

Honestly, though, if they don't have anything better to do than pick on small time developers like me then I suppose I'll quit when they ask me to.

Could you perhaps give me a link to a legal site telling me the exact details? I'd like to know, if I am indeed breaking the law, exactly why.

Cyberflame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 11:42
hmm... or you could just make it a wave.. the google for a convertor =P (hint hint hint hint) ogg is pretty good i hear..

MasterInsan0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2004 17:15
Hmm, just in case anyone would like to know, the next version of Enter the Mario is in progress (almost Enter the Mario 2, heheh). However, probably some time tomorrow, I will gather the bugs that have been mentioned here and upload a patch that fixes them (especially the way-too-fast problem a lot of people were having). I'll post here once it's up. Now I must go sleep...ahh lovely sleep, how I've missed you...

Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2004 01:24
sweet game lucky i have dsl or i wouldn't have got it
ways to reduce file size:
1 convert your wav files to mp3
2 convert your bmp to jpg
3 if you made the intro in flash you can save as .swf which is a much smaller format

how did you change the icon on your program i have been trying to do that with no success

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2004 01:33
Yeah, that took me 3 minutes to download, you should definitely tone it down a bit.
MasterInsan0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2004 03:19
Heheh, yes yes, I know this quite well. I'm working on it right now, and version 1 will be a lot smaller (hopefully). It will still be 18 MB+ due to the intro, but only about 10 without it.

I should have the patch done some time tonight, and it'll fix the huge file size problem.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2004 21:14
haha, i found a bug! (i liked the matrix concept intro)

You can't die at the same time. I had both of em shoot each other simultaneously. They lost life, but once it hit zero, neither would die.

"eureka" - Archimedes
MasterInsan0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2004 12:16 Edited at: 24th Jul 2004 12:17
Hmm...strange because I programmed in conditions for a draw, and I've got it in playtesting too. Just keep shooting, the bars are a little bit off. If you shoot about 4-7 fireballs after the bar hits 0, they should die. I'm not entirely sure how I can go about fixing this, since as far as I can tell it's a problem with DBP's box command. I'll try to fit it into the patch though.

MasterInsan0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 09:49 Edited at: 26th Jul 2004 09:50
Alright, this is the last update on this dying thread, heheh. The patch I spoke of is finally out.

The file sizes are about 6 MB smaller this time around with no real loss of quality. There are a ton of feature additions this time around (improved health bars for one), and some good bug fixes.

With Intro (26 MB) - http://www.dbspot.com/messiah/etm/v1intro.zip
Without Intro (11 MB) - http://www.dbspot.com/messiah/etm/v1sans.zip

Have fun with it.

IceBird
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 17:30
Your version 1 version of og this funny game does one anoing thing when you define the controls the first time.. the player one can do it just fine but when you've defined the right key for player one the gae automaticly says that the key has already been defined even if I did't so I can't define the player 2 controlls.. pretty anoying thouh.. please fix

------------------------------------------------
Someone is watching you...... And it isn't ME!
------------------------------------------------
MasterInsan0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 04:19
Hmm...I see, I'll look into this.

MasterInsan0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 08:28
Alright, another patch is out to fix that problem (since it's a pretty severe one).

You can get it here for both versions:
http://www.dbspot.com/messiah/etm/v11patch.zip

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 14:35:48
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 14:35:48