Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / HOW do i do what it says?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2002 16:24
CARTOON SHADING.......how do i get this to work what do i have to type

Does this include CELL SHADING by any chance?
-----------------------------------------------------------
befor you say i know this is a nOOby Q......still
WHY WAIT FOR GAMES.......MAKE THEM COME TO YOU
>>>>>>>>>>>www.shark-software.20m.com<<<<<<<<<<<
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 19:58
First you must have a compatible card, run the 3d example code with the asteroid in help file to see if it'll work - you can see the code in there. It does create a cellshaded look, and can put an outine around your model also I believe, I am still learning about this one. If your grfx card isn't up to it GF2 and below, there is a software method thats been covered in forums here and at Realgametools.com

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
Steverino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2002 06:41
I notice that demo uses "shade.bmp" but "edge.dss"... What kind of file format is a .dss? What program does one use to open it?

When you replace the .dss with a black "edge.bmp", it just turns the whole object black.

Surrealist writing toy -- http://www.iconpoet.com
Steverino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2002 06:59
Oops, that's .dds not .dss.

Terabyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 17:32
I think that dds textures can be edited using a program called wally!?!??!?!

Steverino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 06:37
Found the site for Wally, didn't see any mention of .dds, but it led me to this:

DDS
Bit Depth: up to 32.bit.. Transparency: 8-bit. Supported Editors: DxTex (supplied with the DirectX SDK)

This is the native DirectDrawSurface file format. It is a format built specifically for DirectX and will give you faster load times and smaller files when used with 6DX. Because few editors exist we generally recommend using TGA during development. If you like, you can then convert it to DDS format before your final release.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 06:38
once u have the direct x sdk or a dds importer for Photoshop then converting them is not hard.

Darklight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 02:09
[url]www.logipole.com[/url] has a program called Konverter that translates 500+ sound/video/graphics files and dds is included in that list. I'm downloading it now and will let everyone know if it works. I've had the cel shading problem as well and I'm using a GeForce MX440.

Darklight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 02:26
Scratch that last post....worthless. If you downloaded the Direct X SDK from Microsoft, there will be a small utility called ddTex.exe .

DDS seems to be the most native texture image file format for video card hardware.

Can't say knowing and doing all this has gotten me any closer to something other than a SOLID BLACK BOX!!

I cant imagine that my video card wouldn't handle toon shading. Can't exactly test the code in the help file without all the media.

ICERGB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 10:39
Well what do ya know...

Founds some docs on the stuff...

Let us know if this helps; (I don't know much about it -yet either.)

http://developer.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=whatsnew_2000
Epidemicz
Years of Service
User Offline
Speaking of shaders, I have a gforce 2 mx, and most of the shaders dont work for me lol I have some of the newest drivers (I think). Does anyone here have a g force 2 mx and can get the shaders to run ???

I am the very disease you pretend to be.
Steverino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 03:47
In the DB asteroid demo (basic3d1-example.dba) in cartoon shading mode, I get a pink asteroid with occasional purple shading. It doesn't have a black outline like you'd think cel shading would have (like edge.dds should provide?), but at least the whole object isn't black. This is on a GeForce 4 Ti 4600.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 02:09
re Epidemicz Sorry most of the shaders only work with GF3 and 4, a 2 just doesn't have the umph (and yes, that's the technical term lol) I just upgraded to a cheap GF4MX for this specific reason, and get most, except pixel shading

I too have had troubles getting an outline using this command, only tried breifly but would love to get it to work. If any1 has working code and media PLEASE upload it and post a link

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 08:13:27
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 08:13:27