Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / here's an idea... Rich.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
As there are many bugs reported which you said elswhere are mainly user produced or system problems (I am probably one of them, and appologise if I am), why not have DBS or someone good at these things, write out a bug busters topic here, mentioning the things that should be checked for before posting on the forums about bugs or sending in bugs to you guys, it would save alot of trouble all around, and makes anyone posting bugs that are not DB's fault look silly for doing so and reduce the chance of it happening.

It's all to easy to see an error and think the worlds collapsing around you and it's all DB's fault.. where infact it probably isn't and can be sorted in a short spell of reading the Bug Buster topic.

On thinking of this I can suggest really basic things for code problems like, check the way you have written the source and ensure you have done blah blah correctly, and have spaces next to blah blah... remember that blah blah is not supported try this instead ???, if you get my drift. and for system you can have another part coping withthe problems associated with that. basically it would be to reduce the bugs reported that arenot DB and it helps people define a problem as being a,b or c.. then they can deal with it easier.

I know this may take a while to sort out, but I belive it would be of great assistance not only to you good people at DB and ensure a little more thinking before spurting off, but users of the sofware may be a little kinder too.

Just an idea.. post away your thoughts People of DB
1ghz Cel,512 sdram 133,Gf2 MX 400 64,SBL 5.1,Win98
Best Upcoming MMOG - http://WWW.Atriarch.com
Project: Card Game with No Name
Washington Irving
Years of Service
User Offline
The back of the box never mentioned having to have the computer plugged in for their software to work. I'm suing their a**es for false advertisement!

Washington Irving
Years of Service
User Offline
"Re: bugs, there are an awful lot that are user generated from either misconceptions about what they're doing or incorrect expectations from coming from DBV1 and expecting it to work the same way (newsflash people - it doesn't!). A large percentage of the errors I've seen fall into this later category. Does that mean I think there are no bugs in the program itself? Hell no! I know there are and I know which have been fixed ready for patch2 (which isn't too far away)."

The forums end up being the only place to clear those misconceptions up. It's not like reading the manual helps. DB so poorly documented for what it is (a begginers programming language) and DBPro's manual is DB's manual with the new commands added in.

The DB team doesn't always clarify command usage or bug status.

In that respect, a "wacky problems" topic is not a bad idea.

Matto
Years of Service
User Offline
yes the forums do end up baring the presure of the users nightmares, that is why I thought this may relieve DB a little, but comparing the replies here from the db team to ours, I am wreckoning they don't like this idea much, well I will have to thin kof abetter resolve, maybe they don;t want one, but I wanted to help.. and hoped this may be a plan for the future clean up of the forums.. it looks bad seeing so many bugs reported all over the place as far as new users go, this I thought would make it more presentable?? and attractive?? to any possible new trade passing through and checking the scene out.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2002 02:16
Matto - we have some plans in the pipeline for a more interactive bug reporting/clarification system so your idea hasn't gone to waste. For now people will have to use the forum for an (eventual) reply.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Matto
Years of Service
User Offline
Fair enough Rich, like I said I meant only to aid the situation, I will leave it in your(DBS's) capable hands.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 06:31:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 06:31:16