Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / My new games

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 21:28
I would like to back up Benny's point. When I wait for the train home each day I have to put up with f***ing smokers puffing away who don't give a DAMN about everybody else - people who prefer not to die of heart disease.

NOBODY has a forum name as stupid as Darth Shader. I do.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 22:22
I dont have any problem with the people around me inhaling my cigarette smoke. On the street, they get far more toxins from car exhaust smoke. I dont see anyone pushing their cars through town to reduce pollution. As for in pubs, there are designated smoking and non-smoking areas. You go to which ever area you want to. Roy Orbason died of lung cancer from passive smoking because he worked as a comedian on a stage in a smoke filled club for 30 years .. he's the highest profile person to die from passive smoking in this country.

Passive smoking is basically a load of bollocks. The only time a passive smoker will face health risks is if they spend a large amount of time in a smoke filled atmosphere, and then they're probably somewhere designed for smokers. The answer is, don't go there.

Machine: P4 2200, 512MB, GeForce4 64MB, Audigy Platinum

There's a junglist inside every coder. http://www.kontact-kru.com for my own personal breakbeat terrorism.
Ben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 22:34
even in the no-smoking areas in pubs the smoke is still in the air because you'd need to be totally sealed off from the rest of the pub and when you get your drinks you still need to go to the bar.

if the car fumes in hte air are so bad anyway why add to
the pollution? it's almost come to the point that you can't be away from pollution anywhere. car fumes in the air fag smoke in pubs, bars, restaurants, cinemas etc. that somethingorother-monoxide poisoning you can get from gas cookers/heaters. the list is endless the point is if everyone takes the view- what i do wont make any difference. then there will never be a solution to the problem.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 01:39
"Passive smoking is basically a load of bollocks. The only time a passive smoker will face health risks is if they spend a large amount of time in a smoke filled atmosphere, and then they're probably somewhere designed for smokers. The answer is, don't go there."

>> That is bollocks. As for car fumes, I guess you don't know what a catalytic convertor is? The output of a good, clean, efficient car is just water plus a few other chemicals (but mostly water) - the worst gases are taken out.

Additionally, passive smoking won't kill you, but it does harm you, and most importantly makes the atmosphere very unpleasent. The trouble with smokers is that they don't seem to notice how it makes others cough and splutter or how it smells horrible.

A train platform is not specifically designed for smokers. Not only is breathing it in dangerous to your health, but it also smells terrible (as I said above). When I walk around on the streets, I don't smell exhaust fumes (even when I am close to cars)

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 02:55
Actually, as I was saying early to randi I'm into car modifications and I know about cats. I also know that certain cats actually put out purer air than they take in in the first place (in polluted cities). Very clever. Still, there are many different grades, most of which dont work that well on older cars ... if the car has one in the first place. Cats aren't the issue anyway. I just mentioned them as a form of pollution. Outside, you'll find that cigarette smoke probably works out as about 0.000001% of air born pollution in cities, so it's negligable.

I appreciate the unpleasentness of smokers smoking around non-smokers who dont like it and cant avoid it. On the train, for instance, in the UK at least, carriages are all generally non-smoking. The small handful of people that still smoke on non-smoking carriages are just twats and really that's not fair.

Generally, in the UK, most areas apart from outside and in the pub are non-smoking. The only real place for complaint from non-smokers (where smokers arent breaking the rules) is in a pub. That's where the real conflict lies. And just think where the government would be without the taxes gained from tabacco sales. It's approximately 58 times the amount spent on the NHS to treat smoking related illnesses.

There's a junglist inside every coder. http://www.kontact-kru.com for my own personal breakbeat terrorism.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 12:22
I suppose, if you think about it, the french are actually not very inteligent so i guess they are stupid :-P. They only do it coz they think its cool...and now my older sisters smokes cannabis(or however u spell it). Damn the bastards

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 14:30
She probably smokes weed for the same reason why millions of people drink alcohol - its very very fun.

Ben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 17:03
only difference being ALCOHOL IS LEGAL.
alcohol only does you harm if you drink too much, canabis and fags however are bad for you no matter how small the amount you smoke.
as i said before-whats your view on suicide?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 19:15
smoking is a nasty habit (^_^) for some reason you only ever start once but can give up alot. hehee
well ... ya'll should be old enough to make up your own minds about if you want to take it or not, i mean yeah it kills you off quicker AND not in a very pleasent way.
It also shortens your temper and makes you entirely irritable as well as open to bouts of either extreme violence or depression...
i would say there is a but, except i can think of much prettier ways of actually killing yourself younger.
Joining the Army for example - right now is a prime time, and you never know you might becomes a hero

what i fail to understand, is kinda why people think that drinking is actually as fun as all that
i mean i've only ever really been drunk 2 maybe 3 times that i remember ... and annoyingly i'm one of those who actually remembers everything i'm doing when drunk.
Now there is a buzz, and i mean can be fun - but certainly isn't something i'd want everytime i drank, or even want to achieve anytime i'm drinking.
But its hardly something i'd really enjoy to do alot like other things ... like personally i enjoy having sex, i enjoy it ALOT - no doubt others do
I found out the hard way that drunk sex is just not really worth it. Now i'd rather drink a little bit go home have some nookie than get piss'd so bad i throw up and passout, could just be me but the buzz i get from sex is far more enjoyable EVEN with my little protective friend
The same goes for canabis ... tried it, felt like i was just a little more drunk and really doesn't compare to well nookie
and funnily enough thats how i quit smoking

everytime i weigh something which is bad for me fun wise upto nookie - well i've not yet found anything that really beats it ... when i'm fighting, and training with a friend honeing my skills - thats a pretty amazing buzz.

Personally think that anything that bad, if you wanted you could find something FAR better which is actually good for you.

As for the suicide issue, its for the cowards who cry about life never experienceing it.
When you care for your life and those who it will affect if you die, then you'll relise why it is worth having it.
At the end of the day, out of millions of sperm you were the fastest and best ... why the hell would you want to be the best just to throw it all away because you feel its too tough?
Cowards with no pride or care for what they have.

The only time i see suicide as an option is if someone is being forced to live, but not live thier life. Like those berlque women in Taiwan and such... and the funny thing is they'd rather be disgraced and live thier lives than end the suffering and pain.
alot of the people i hear who end their own lives are just suburban cowards who have life so easi they wouldn't understand hardship if they lived for a millennia!
If they want to die they should be defeated, defending thier life to the last breath

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 20:42
Benny, last year an official independent drug surveys was conducted by a highly respectable company for the UK government. It concluded after extensive research that cannabis should be downgraded to a class C drug because there have never been any recorded deaths (apart from those related to allegies) associated with it. Alcohol and tabacco were suggested to be made illegal and made class A drugs because there have been many many deaths associated with them. In case you're interested, it was suggested that ecstasy (the pure stuff, and not chemically tampered street rubbish) should be downgraded to a class C because of it's safety record.

The fact is, that report might as well never have been written because the amount of money the government makes on alcohol and tobacco taxation is so huge that making those products illegal would damage the economy, as well as pissing off the entire country. There is such a brainwashed stigma behind drugs, that all drugs are lethal that the government has to be seen to be satisfying the people. People totally forget that alcohol is a very dangerous drug, and so is tobacco. People are only wising up to issues with tobacco because after many many years of telling us its bad for us, we're finally being brainwashed (correctly this time) to believe it.

Don't forget also that cannabis, as a naturally growing drug, has been used by many civilisations for thousands of years. Smoking cannabis pure, without tobacco, causes much less harm to the lungs than tobacco does. Cannabis contains next to no tar or nicotine. Cannabis does damage your body. It is not side-effect free. No drugs are. But cannabis is less harmful than alcohol or tobacco. This is a fact.

My point from all this is, people haven't got a clue whats good and bad about drugs. All they know is what they've been brainwashed to believe over the years. The fact is, many drugs, in their pure state, are not dangerous. It's just the street crap that contains additives and replacements which causes death. Some drugs are, however, justified in being acclaimed as being dangerous, because they are. And all the while, the legal drugs that you drink, smoke, or have in your medical cabinnet have their side-effects swept under the carpet. If you read the potential side-effect warnings on the back of a pack of asprin or paracetamol, you'll realise that even though you're legally taking them, they're still causing your body a lot of harm.

Now Raven. First off, dont forget that there a large proportion of smokers get through their whole life without any serious ill effects. My grandad recently died at 86 having smoked about 40 a day from the ages of 15. You're not certain to drop dead 10 years early if you smoke. Smoking may have contributed to his death, but he still lived longer than the average non-smoker.

Secondly, I dont know where you get your info from, but all my friends that smoke, including myself, are very relaxed, never violent and about as depressed as someone whos just won the lottery. Smoking does hardly anything to the brain. It's a short term rush with no (that I know of) psychological effects. If you're talking about cannabis, I can gaurentee nobody is violent after a spliff. hehehe. Apart from the odd 1 in 100 or something that act strangely after a joint, the vast majority of people are more inclined to hug you than fight you.

As for drunk sex - let's not beat around the bush. If you're pissed as a fart, it's a waste of time. If you're a little bit drunk, it helps you last longer and it shredds you inhibitions so if you're with a new partner you have the gutts to try new things.
As for cained sex - it's a waste of time. I didnt even feel it until it was all over, and then I fell asleep. Nuff said.

btw, before you go off on the "sex is better" theory, you have to remember that a lot of people dont get any. hehe. Sad but true. You can always nip down your local store and grab a pack of smokes, a 6 pack of beer, or nip down your dealer and get an 8th, but unless you're real brave, you cant nip down the whore house and get your groove on. Sex isn't on tap. Besides, sex takes effort, takes time, and (unless you're particularly extravigant) cant be enjoyed in the company of your friends. hehe

As for your suicide thing. Where the hell did that come from?!?! hehe. Personally, I think anyone who wants to commit suicide can't be described as a coward. It takes huge emotional suffering to actually go through with the act of suicide. So much suffering that you overcome the natural inbuilt fear of death and want to survive. I couldn't imagine being that depressed. I consider this life, my only life, very valuable and for me to want to end it I would have to be in hell. For whatever reason people get to that hell, you can't do anything except feel sorry for them.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 22:10
Fallout, there is more to life than sex, drugs, smoke and drink. The answer to not being able to enjoy sex in the company of friends is to find a loving partner - then you can be in their company all the time.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 22:25
"Fallout, there is more to life than sex, drugs, smoke and drink."

Well done.

"The answer to not being able to enjoy sex in the company of friends is to find a loving partner - then you can be in their company all the time."

This is true. I have a loving girlfriend who I would describe as my soulmate. But the discussion is not about the ideals of true love - it's about smoking and related subjects like cannabis and alcohol.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 22:31
This discussion is actually about Randi's new games. I really think we should save such talk for elsewhere. I am not going to discuss the subject any further - if you wish to do so, start a topic in General Talk.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2002 01:29
Agreed, this should be in general talk, but seeing as Randi and I started the conversation about smoking, I'm sure she wont mind it being here.

Ben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2002 17:06
what i said about suicide is that you are effectively commiting suicide in a slow and painful way when you light up.
even though pure canabis isn't all that bad for you, where the hell are you gonna get pure canabis from????? if you smoke canabis it's very likely that your canabis has been messed around with and has loads of chemical additives. its vrey bad as it effects your brain with alcohol if you drink within moderatoin it wont harm you at all ( unless your alergic to the stuff )
but the smallest amount of fag smoke makes you cough, do you know why you couhg? it because your body wants it out of your system.
only a fool would try to make smoking look healthy.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2002 17:30
Its very easy to get pure cannabis, not that we should really be having this conversation here. By some bud, and all you have is plants. They dont dip it in acid or chicken slurry or something. It doesnt go through a complex process to make the stuff. It's just a plant. You can grow it at home. Nuff about cannabis.

Cigarette smoke doesnt make me cough. People wouldnt smoke if every time they took a puff their lungs turned inside out and they lost the contents of their stomach. About the only time I cough is in the morning when I wake up, and I was doing that before I'm smoking.

In a similar way to Darth, you've completely taken my argument out of contexts and let your own emotional feelings cloud your judgement. I've never made any effort to make smoking look healthy. In fact, if you read my previous posts, you'd see lots of statements with me saying how unhealthy it is. I'm just saying it's possible to make an educated choice to smoke, and not drop dead from it or contract a life threatening disease, but in the short term its negative effects are mild and recoverable.

Ben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 18:54
Well if you enjoy paralising and burning your cilia off the inside of your trachea so that your imune system has difficulty in removing germs,dust and mucus from your lungs, then thats your choice,

but i have noticed throughout this discussion that you've only been making comparison to other substances, and say ing 'smoking is not as bad as-' but the fact still remains, smoking is bad for you nomatter how many things are worse that it.

anyway, your games look really cool randi, how many lines of code are there in them?
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 19:30
"let your own emotional feelings cloud your judgement. "

Possibly, I lost someone very close to me because of smoking - indeed my judgement is a little clouded. But such a personal lesson is more powerful than all the literature, adverts and discussion anyone could ever front.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 21:42
Sorry to hear that. Yes, that's a proper kick in the teeth, and no doubt I would change my views if something similar had happened to me. As it stands though, I know the facts, and I make my choice. I respect other peoples opinions and I dont smoke when it annoys other people. Therefore, I can't be at fault.

randi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 08:23
This is still going on?
How funny.

The facts are that smoking is VERY bad for you.
Even if you smoke for very little and not for very long.

Thinking if you only smoke for a short time and not very often is like thinking...
That hitting your head with a hammer, only so often, is OK.
As long as you don't do it much.
Now this is simply not true.

No matter how often you hit your head and for how long, you will do damage.

I could go on and on, but I already stopped once.

Non-smokers don't have a lowered sense of smell like smokers do.
Their for we can smell that stinky smell VERY easily, and it gets stuck in your clothes...
and it's just gross.

But what ever.

I don't care.
It's New Years, I had to work, I didn't get to do anything...
BLAH BLAH BLAH

Happy New Year

Randi
CodeBase3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey!
3DGAMEMAKER is cool.
I have it.
DB is cool, and pro.

DBWinner

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 17:48
well at least you changed the topic CB3D.

Randi is right. End of story.

KamaKase
Years of Service
User Offline
There is no amount of smokes that are safe. The next one you have could push you over the edge.

Ben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 23:37
How long did it take you to make those games?
randi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 05:53
To BennyII:
My games never take very long to make.
If they start taking too long, I give up.
I just do it for fun basically.

The games maybe took a total of 12 hours each, at the most.
Here is the code for The Towers if you want to look at it.
It's 315 lines.

Bug Killer took less amount of time and has fewer lines of code, but not by much.
282 lines of code.

Their you go.
That's how I did it.

Randi
Ben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 17:03
hey could you teach me to programm? rpggamer said he would over the instant messenger, but it's been a week and he still hasn't spoken to me :-<
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 18:32
oki well not to take this down the rocky road of the topic that was never suppose to be discussed again ...

but it is simple to commit suicide against your fears, simply because those who actually do it i because they feel nothing for thier own self-worth ... at which point you don't care about life or death just the actions in the moment. There is no care for survival, there is no care for others ... its just pure cowardis running away from your problems which you can't stand to face.
If they can't see beyond thier own petty feelings then they're is nothing you can say about it.

And smoking does make you violent and shorten your temper, it is an effect of nicoteen ... add to this the fact that it churns out your insides - and really the relaxation buzz is only for a very short while especially as you get more and more used to it. So you need it more often and in bigger doses - just because there is an exception to the rule doesn't MEAN that it isn't there.
Doesn't mean that it is right, and doesn't mean it is right to go around giving everyone else that second hand smoke because that is MORE capable of passing on the desease than you get through the blasted filters.

i'm sorry but just because something has been around for years AND abused for years ... believe it or not they are also mecidinal drugs and if you do take them just for your own pleasure then you're a fool!
Because you're body is THE single most adaptive thing in the world - and it will adapt to ANY environment, it will get used to any drug, it will adapt to fight of anything and get used to healing quicker when things go wrong!

When you get given them in the hospital for something that NEEDs it - you will be as good as fudged, i mean why the hell do you think they're putting a kibosh on Antibiotics right now ... because people are becomming immune to thier effects, the same is going for penacillin.
you fudge with an important drug and you are screwing up you medical future because not only will you body become to depend upon it.

pah! i doubt thou that you'd listen to anyone and keep on thinking that even with the facts that is it acceptable.
just because everyone else does it doesn't mean jack, i mean you're not a mindless drone you are an individual - and if you know the facts and still do it thinking it all cool then really, there is nothing worse than an intelligent idiot

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Ben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 23:41
loose the smiley, it ruins the aggressive effect.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 01:20
What ruins the aggressive effect, is the complete lack of knowing what the hell he's talking about! You can't convince someone to listen hard to your argument and swing to your cause when it's truth and facts are plague with pot-holes.

Suicide?!? blah. You're talking from a perspective of absolutely no experience. If you were tied down being tortured every day, with no prospect of getting free, wouldnt you prefer to kill yourself? Wouldnt that make more sense? Some people hurt so badly emotionally, from wounds that cannot heal (the death of a wife with no loved ones left, for example), that they take their own lives. If you cant understand that, then I suggest you're just insensitive.

And smoking does make you violent and shorten your temper, it is an effect of nicoteen ...

Nicoteen sounds like a make of shoes for young people. Nicotine may have medical effects that are proven to shorten temper and encourage violence, but if this is true, the magnitude of this must be INCREDIBLY slight. I have never ever, in all my life, seen anyone react violently from a cigarette. If anything it has always relaxed people. I have countless friends that smoke and none of them are violent. Even if medically this is true, it is completely over-stated and rubbish, and I'm sure if it was even slightly noticable as a side-effect Randi (who knows her stuff) would've mentioned it.

and doesn't mean it is right to go around giving everyone else that second hand smoke because that is MORE capable of passing on the desease than you get through the blasted filters.

What??? Most of the smoke people passively inhale comes from previously exhaled smoke which has passed through the filter and been purified to some extent by the smokers lungs. haha. This is a stupid argument anyway, but how passive smoking can be worse than first hand smoking, I have no idea!

When you get given them in the hospital for something that NEEDs it - you will be as good as fudged, i mean why the hell do you think they're putting a kibosh on Antibiotics right now ... because people are becomming immune to thier effects, the same is going for penacillin.

Smoking will not reduce my ability to respond to other drugs. Thats just rubbish. Also, people are not becoming immune to anti-biotics. The problem is totally unrelated to people and is purely related to the bio-organisms themselves evolving to become immune to the anti-biotics. This is largely attributable to people not finishing their courses of anti-biotics, which means some of the bacteria will survive, and potentially evolve to be more immune, rather than being destroyed.

pah! i doubt thou that you'd listen to anyone and keep on thinking that even with the facts that is it acceptable.

Well, at least i have the majority of my facts straight, and I make an educated choice. As I said before AND EVERYONE KEEPS IGNORING THIS POINT I dont subjects non-smokers to my own smoke. You have anything against people boxing, even though they're doing themselves brain damage?? No, because they confine themselves to the ring, and fight people who are willing to take the same risks. So do I! I dont go around subjecting people to my habbit.

randi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 07:46
Nicotine may have medical effects that are proven to shorten temper and encourage violence, but if this is true, the magnitude of this must be INCREDIBLY slight. I have never ever, in all my life, seen anyone react violently from a cigarette. If anything it has always relaxed people. I have countless friends that smoke and none of them are violent. Even if medically this is true, it is completely over-stated and rubbish, and I'm sure if it was even slightly noticable as a side-effect Randi (who knows her stuff) would've mentioned it.

Thanks, I pride myself on knowing my stuff.
Also, I have never heard that nicotine encourage violence either.
Nicotine is found in just about every plant.
Only tobacco has a extremely high amount.
Nicotine is an insectacide.
When introduced into the body, it goes straight to the nervous system and slows it down.
Thus the reason people smoke more when nervous.

Smoking will not reduce my ability to respond to other drugs.

EHHH... it could be partly true.
Nicotine could react with certain drugs and stop them from working.
But that could be with any chemical or drugs.

The problem is totally unrelated to people and is purely related to the bio-organisms themselves evolving to become immune to the anti-biotics. This is largely attributable to people not finishing their courses of anti-biotics, which means some of the bacteria will survive, and potentially evolve to be more immune, rather than being destroyed.

Very good Fallout. You are correct.
But not to fear. We have anti-biotics, that have never been used, put away for the future.
Anyway, most things are treated with steroids now.

As I said before AND EVERYONE KEEPS IGNORING THIS POINT I dont subjects non-smokers to my own smoke.

This is very good.
But you are such a smart young man...
I wish you would stop.
I promise you will have a much better life if you do.

Randi
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 18:13
Dont worry about me Randi. I'm taking up crack instead.

No, but seriously, ive been cutting down more and more. I dont intend to quit for some time, but I'm aiming for about 4 cigarettes a day, and I will quit eventually.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 04:09
Argh smoking convo!!! Never works Randi, trust me - if some1s addicted they won't wanna listen to ya

2 answer an older point, I too enjoy 'dinking' but find it sometimes affects my typng lol

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 05:20
Ahh, thats another good thing. My addiction is slight. I came home to my parents place for christmas. They're not a fan of my smoking, so I've had about 2 cigarettes in 2 weeks. No cravings, only very slight urges. My mind is open and unplagued by addiction ... to cigarettes anyway. I am, however, irrecoverably addicted to pepsi, curry and women. hehe.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 16:47
lol Fair play. And if you do manage to quit eventually - well done

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 12:54:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 12:54:42