Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / .BSP's not loading!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2002 01:26
Why dont my BSPs load? Is it because I am using the demo version of DB PRO? If you've used the demo and gotten bsp files to load, HELP ME PLEASE! Thanks!
Chroma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 01:53
7 views and no one offers to help this guy? I would but I'm not as fluent in DB as I once was. Someone help him!
Matto
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe the seven people who looked were not able to answer?? I presume this makes me the ninth and still am unable to help much but say I don't use them and I use the full version...

1ghz Cel,512 sdram 133,Gf2 MX 400 64,SBL 5.1,Win98
Best Upcoming MMOG - http://WWW.Atriarch.com
Project: Card Game with No Name
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 02:49
DarkJedi,

When you mean "they don't load" - Do you mean

a) You get a runtime error message

... in which case make sure the file is in the same folder as the DBA file.

b) There are no error messages but you can't SEE the BSP map

- Make sure you have used the SYNC command to update the screen, eg: use

SYNC
SYNC
SUSPEND FOR KEY

and you should be able to see the BSP

failing that, you may not be positioned in the right place

try POSITION CAMERA 0,0,0 before the SYNC command.

DarkJedi, please think before you post

- ALWAYS give a detailed explanation of what you tried to do - "it doesn't load" is not very helpful.

- If possible, include your source code

- For something like a BSP map, it is a good idea to post the contents of what you are trying to do (eg, post a ZIP file containing the BSPs, other media, DBA and DBPRO files)

- Post in the right forum. This belongs in the newbies forum.

Just curious, how old are you?

NOBODY has a forum name as stupid as Darth Shader. I do.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 02:57
Here is some sample source code from a DBP test I did:

Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 03:28
Ok. If you are using Windows 98 when it goes to the loading screen it would say "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down". On Windows XP it says something like "This program has encountered a program and needs to close"... I have never actually tried adding the sync commands in there while trying to load a .bsp map... But I am working on another game that has shooting in it and when I tryed loading a .3ds file of the gun, I did this:

Load Object "Pistol1.3ds", 1

But that does nothing. SO then I tryed this:

Load Object "Pistol1.3ds", 1
Show Object 1

But this time I got the same error message as I got from trying to load a .bsp file. If you want to see the whole code I have right now, just ask and I will post it. I will post it if you want me to, and if you see anything wrong, please tell me. If everything looks okay to you, tell me and I will try again.

P.S. I am VERY new at coding so I might have put things in the wrong places in my code. Please just tell me, because I really dont know what to do.

Any help on this topic will be greatly appreciated!

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 04:30
show us the code, and tell us were exactly your bsp and texture files are in relation to your code, please.
Also, tell us how you made the bsp and texture file, and it might be helpful if we knew what your system specs are.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 05:04
Well, I have a Dell Dimension 4500 at 2.0ghz and 128MB of ram, 40 gigabytes, Pentium 4 processor.... I used Gtk Radiant 1.2.11 to make the map.

Right now I don't need help with putting .bsp files in, I need help with putting .3ds files in, and I also would like a program that can convert .3ds files to .x ...

Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 05:10
Ok, listen. When I type in the correct code to load a 3d object, I get an error that says it cannot load the 3d object. I think this message is coming up due to my 3d model having too many polygons, but I do not know how to make the polygon size smaller. Do any of you know how? But one of the .3ds files I am trying to load doesnt have THAT many polygons, I know that, because all it is, is a small pistol, although it has very good detail which may add up to the polygon total... I've tried everything but no .3ds imgage will load for me. One never has.. Maybe, I can try doing this instead of what I normally am doing:

LOAD IMAGE "Pistol1.bmp", 1

Because in my 3d program you can export as a .3ds or you can save it as a bitmap or jpeg image. I will try that, although another image I tryed loading did not work... I hope this eventually will work. my game is turning out well, now...

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 14:59
Firstly DarkJedi, convert your 3DS files to X files (programs like MilkShape 3D can do this). DBP has many problems loading 3DS files and X files work much better.

How many polys has your model got? There should not be a problem with high poly objects - I have loaded objects before with several thousand polys and no problems (except slow speed) (In most programs click Model Statistics)

Please try the code I posted above with your BSP map and tell me what happens. In your case use LOAD BSP "","BSPNAME.bsp".

Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 15:39
Ok. I have tried that before too. But, before I try loading a .bsp map again, I am working on another game, that is even BETTER than that small bsp level I made. I never knew how big the level had to be, but now that I am using a matrix in the game I'm making now, I can see that they need to be BIG!!

But, can you tell me of anyplace I an get Milkshape 3D?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 23:24:21
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 23:24:21