Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Any good lniks for 3D flight dynamics?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm sure this question will have been asked before - why is there no search function for this forum???!!!

I am looking for some info on aircraft flight dynamics. Not looking at creating anything too accurate, just hope to make a flight sim that'll simulate the fundamentals of flight without melting my brain in the process.

So if you know of a good link plz let me know. Thanks.
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Help->Commands->Basic3D-> Scroll Down to Free Flight Rotation

Hepe that helps

I am the greatest thing since sliced bread!!
Soyuz
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm still using the demo for now and can not see that link. Although I don't think it's what I'm after from the sound of it. I want to know the equations needed to replicate a plane's flight. So for example how do I simulate lift, drag, thrust, aircraft stalling etc etc.

Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 23:40
I am using the demo too, and yes, you do have that file link thing. Just do this.

-Press F11
-Click on COMMANDS
-scroll down and click on BASIC 3D
-Searh for the free fall or whatever thing in the list
-click on it and there, you did it

AlamDV, NHL, NHL 2K3....... The best combination ever!
Soyuz
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I must be in some different universe to you guys. I went to the Basic 3D menu and looked for "Free flight" without sucess. I typed "free" in the Find bar and it didn't point me to anything at all beginning with the word "Free". This seems most peculiar!

Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2002 16:10
But your question on how to produce Lift, Drag and the like is not an easy one. If you find a way to implement the laws of Newton into a game engine you are well on your way.

-F = m * g
-E kinetic = 0.5 * m * g2

that sort of stuff... Try to make the formulas 'define your world' and add the 'variables' of the formulas as 'properties' of your objects.
I guess the basic free flight tutorial gives a nice BASIC model to work with.

Yskonyn -
"It's better to wish down here you were up, then to wish up there you were down."
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel on board is when you are on fire."
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2002 16:12
Oh and for those shouting now that the law of Bernouilli produce lift instead of the laws of Newton, please get back into your books...
Lift cannot be generated without downwash. Downwash produces an effect upwards (action = - reaction).
But that's just a note to avoid an ongoing 'Lift discussion'.

Yskonyn -
"It's better to wish down here you were up, then to wish up there you were down."
Soyuz
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks. When these lazy DB guys get my copy of DB Pro delivered I can check out the free flight tutorial - come on guys, I know it's been Christmas and all but really that's no excuse!!!

Does that free flight tut simulate stalling?

Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2002 15:11
No, it's nowhere near advanced flight dynamics. When a plane stalls, the airflow around the airfoil cannot follow the contours anymore and will seperate.
Good luck on creating a stall-like feature as I have no idea whatsoever on how to do this... Well maybe I do; Maybe you could try to define the lift decreasing rapidly as you have deccelerated to a critical speed.
But like I said, you will first have to implement the law of newton of a newtonian like system before even thinking about those kind of features.

Yskonyn -
Soyuz
Years of Service
User Offline
I've managed to make a 2D model in Flash which uses 50% Newtonian theory and 50% my own botch job - manages to hang together quite well but not sure how it'll stand in 3D.

I also still can't figure how Euler rotation works with DB, the only web links i can find talk about matrices and I can't believe they expect folks to have a diploma in Maths to figure how to use "ROTATE OBJECT"!!

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2002 21:08
Hmmmm, making a 3D Flight Simulator I hope u love Mathematics....
The best flight simulator I've ever played is MS Flight Simulator 2002. It's just THAT hard to do something like that... If I'd you I would start first with a Star Fox like game where u don't have to worry about stalls and wind calculations....
Well, if u have MS Flight Simulator 2002, in the second disk there's some cool books which explain a lot about aircrafts and things like this... plus the game rocks

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
-- Rogue
Soyuz
Years of Service
User Offline
Arrr me thinks MS Flight Sim 2002 is a little beyond the realms of what I'm working on! I'm after the bare baones that'll let me simulate a flying plane and stalling. I figure I can make stalling a simple matter of "If Airspeed<X THEN Plane stalls". This is going to be a pretty arcade type game but without stalling the plane could end up sitting still in mid air!

mohawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 21:27
NASA has a program you could start with foilsim simulates an airfoil. also try here. http://www.flightgear.org/they publish their source code you can download and study it.
good luck
Chuck

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:10:56
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:10:56