Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Retrospect my acoders compo entry

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 14:30 Edited at: 7th Aug 2004 14:31
I must say, this is pretty impressive. The graphics are very nice, and I love the concept behind this. I think it's very well done. However, the movement is really buggy. The shooting is sometimes off, and jumping is a little iffy. Other than that, nice job. I managed to complete level 1, but decided to stop at level 2 for a short while.

HP Pavilion | Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40 GHz
512 MB Ram | NVIDIA GeForceFX 5600 AGP, with 256 MB Ram
Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks. Here's a screenie...

Mitchell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 20:55
AMAZING! You stand a good chance! You're defenatelly gonne outrank my game, at least. Nice gfx

"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever"
- Shigeru Miyamoto
Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks too!

Summoned, I just uploaded a new verson that improves the movement/aiming. It should be much better now.
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 19:12
I don't like the big six sided crosshair. I have no idea where I'm aiming. Are the levels .X or .BSP? How exactly did you get the doors to open and close?

Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 02:58 Edited at: 9th Aug 2004 04:27
I always wondered where in real life that little crosshair comes from when you are firing a pistol. I wanted the arrows to indicate direction of attack, but there was this lack of time thing...

Quote: "How exactly did you get the doors to open and close?"

I used programming.

The doors are entities just like enemies or whatever. However they share the collision properties of the level so bullet holes work on them. One thing I had trouble with was trying to get bullet holes to move with the doors, I got it figured out but ran out of time so when you shoot a door and it opens now the bullet holes hang in mid air for a moment... Oh well. Next version...
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 19:38
Quote: "Are the levels .X or .BSP?"

Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2004 01:35 Edited at: 10th Aug 2004 04:58
x. Does NG collision work on BSP?
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2004 06:36
nice game! i like the nicely textured and lightmapped levels..did you do them yourself?

suggestions-
1.make the player move faster
2.move the gun farther to the left
3.change that ugly swinging gun movement to something else...

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2004 08:25 Edited at: 10th Aug 2004 08:27
Thanks. I agree, except the gun is actually connected to the player model who's walking, so I have to change the animation and stuff...
I did the levels myself and all the animations. Plus I made the textures (except the techfloor from cshop).

I plan to re-do the game now that there isn't so much a time constraint. Here's a screenie of some level parts I have so far...

AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2004 08:46
Wow, I downloaded and played it, must say... BEAUTIFUL! One of the best looking games I've EVER seen in DarkBasic, my god, it looks pro. I especially like the whole time idea, and how smoothly it all plays out, it's pretty cool seeing yourself doing what you just did a few minutes ago. I loved it, although it would be cool to haven't different types of scenerios instead of just a door opening scheme.

My only recomondations are that I think you should spiffy up the main menu a little bit, it's kinda hard to read the different options, so maybe make it a little brighter or something. And also, maybe consider a different type of enemy instead of the robots.

Anyways, very pro, looks good enough to sell on shelves in all honesty (that is with more levels, more enemies and such), but still VERY sellable (not that you should or anything, cuz I want ur new full versions!).

P4 2.4Ghz HT, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, 19" Samsung SyncMaster 997DF, 80GB HD

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2004 08:58 Edited at: 10th Aug 2004 08:59
i just now figured out that he(your "copy") does exactly what you did...imho you would have to improve some things before selling this..(I.E. better explanation, faster Frame Rate...better ai)

but the graphics are beautifull

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2004 11:01 Edited at: 10th Aug 2004 13:01
There are a lot of possibilities
like when you go back in time, you blow up a bridge you now have to rebuild before your past self gets there...

or maybe there are parachute bombs or mounted guns you have to protect your old self from

a boss that can only be killed cooperatively...

A reactor that will blow up in 30 seconds, but you have to disable 2 things at either end of the level to disarm it...
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2004 16:14
I'm curious, I'm trying to achieve some of these effects in my own game. What did you do for the lightmaps? Is it one level object ghosted over another? If it is, then what did you model the levels in, because usually there's the problem of one lightmap per object in the level, which can mean a lot of lightmaps...

As for the entities, how do you handle them? Do you save their positions in a file and load them in the game? Or do you somehow include their positions in the level file itself and manipulate them like normal objects?

Sorry for asking so many questions, it's just that this stuff is exactly what I like in games, so I'm eager to try to create similar effects.

AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 02:51
My FPS was actually very very good with this, better than the majority of DarkBasic games, and I'm on a mid-level, nothing fancy computer. I think the A.I. was just fine, I mean they did what they were supposed to, moved and shot at you.

P4 2.4Ghz HT, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, 19" Samsung SyncMaster 997DF, 80GB HD

Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
Quoth,

My entities are just data types. for example (see code)
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 21:47
Ok, last question, what did you make the level in, and how did you lightmap it? One objet ghosted over another?

Dr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 23:10 Edited at: 12th Aug 2004 01:42
Holy Mumma! Those graphix are are sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. You will deserve to win. I don't, my game was just a pile of horse sugar - so I aboandoned it. At least I gained some expierence and hey thanks to all that work I can build 3D intros. Did I say 3D? I meant 3D! Instead of using bitmaps I use 3D objects that are animated.

Well my AI wasnt too bad. They had an IQ of 4. LoL!
They can:
Fire at you accurately but not too accurate so you die fast.
Patrol areas.
Sound the alarm if they find a dead guy.
Call for help if theyre under attack.
Pursue you.

I'm still working on it.

Who dares; wins.
Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 04:22 Edited at: 12th Aug 2004 05:23
Hey, "sound the alarm if they find a dead guy" makes them smarter than most game minions.

I always wondered why seeing their buddy dead on the floor didn't, you know, make them stop moseying around and humming tunes in most games like nothing is wrong...

Oh look there's the other guard shot in the head. Oh well... do de doo.
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2004 15:43
I would really like to play your game!

I downloaded it, installed it, the screen goes black, some cool music starts, and then this error message comes up:

Runtime Error 2002: Could not load animation at line 24

I even rebooted, and the same thing happened. Any ideas?
Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
The only time it does that is if there is already a DB program running or maybe an AVI type file running. Make sure all programs are closed before ... but then you said you rebooted...

if you look in the program files\retrospect\menu folder, there's the file "opening.avi" click on it and see if windows media player opens it.
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2004 04:24
I absolutely love this game! it is superb... the gameplay is excellent and is a very original idea...

The graphics are good but the player model looks a bit strange no offence...

Create or Play? You choose!
Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
Ha I'm actually working on a new one of those! I'm collaborating with a friend of mine to make a commercial version.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2004 12:17
if you make a commercial version make sure the movement is time-based instead of frame-rate-based...

or you will get un-happy customers

"We make the worst games in the universe."
Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
It's already time based. Everything in the game is time based except the particle movement. It's just slow.
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2004 18:40
Wow... Totally cool... Nice setting!!! (I wish I could do that too... dammit...)

Suggestion: If you want it to look professional (Better than anyone else!!!) I suggest adding some environmental effects (like dust/smoke above the floor; nice color for fog aside from black or white; wind effects) try to observe some console games for their BGs (I recommend MGS2 at the tanker). I also notice that whenever you stop/not playing the game/standing still, the BG still moves in some ways...
(Oh well, I suck at programming, so better share my observations to the pros)

In case of FXs, pick "Zone of the Enders: Second Runner..."
In case of Gothic designs, pick "Chaos Legion"...
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2004 22:58
lol...okay maybe you should optimise it then

Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
Yep. I'm pretty much starting over. A lot of new stuff has come out since I started the project that it can benefit from.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 03:23
cool...

well, i'm looking forward to playing the next version of this

Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 04:52
All right ... I couldn't play the game because I only had Microsoft Media Player version 8, which couldn't play the AVI file. So, I upgraded to Microsoft Media Player 9, and now it works just fine.

These graphics are superb!

One of my favorite touches was that when I clicked on the Acoders picture, it tried to start up my Internet Explorer! Talk about a true link - wow! I didn't know that you could do that in DarkBasic.

The music was very appropriate.

The robot models are georgeous.

This game had lots of nice effects in it that I hadn't seen since I've played Quake 3, such as: Superb lighting effects, really nice bullet scorch marks, colorful particle effects.

Very nice game! Keep up the good work!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 04:58
there's no way to get through the second door? The voices are hard to understand. The music is cool, but gets a little too repetitive. Great start though.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
You get through the second door by opening it and then going back in time and walking through it the same time your past self opened it.
Hell Dragonz43
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 13:55 Edited at: 15th Aug 2004 13:57
I know im now the first to say this, but this is awesome!

9/10! Only thing is the game seems sorta dark. Maybe its just my g-card or computer. But besides that, this one of the best games (from the looks... Cant download it right now) ive EVER seen made with DBP.

www.freewebs.com/mycomputergames
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 22:39
The graphics are beautiful, yet it runs very slowly here - I guess below 10fps. That's trange, the level doesn't look too complex :/

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 02:19
woo i played it, concept is great, 10/10 for concept, i believe he made fog around the planets, so it shouldent be hard to put them on the ground,

glad to hear your making a new version of it,

good luck

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 06:28
Hi Sinistar,

Looks nice but runs a little slowly here on my older machine. The graphics card I have is not fantastic (Radeon 7000) but it should be able to cope. Is the game currently set to run at a certain speed using SYNC RATE?

If so, would it be possible to change movement so that it is time-based rather than frame-based?

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 08:10
Quote: "It's already time based. Everything in the game is time based except the particle movement. It's just slow. "

so i guess its time based, i have a radeon 7000, wish i didnt :-P

Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 23:35
May I be the first to say, Congratulations! 2nd place! What an honor! You game deserved every bit of it!
Mitchell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 23:47
Dude! You got 3rd! That's great aswell.. And I personally thing RetroSpect was better than the first prize winner..

"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever"
- Shigeru Miyamoto
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2004 00:32
it says he got 2nd

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
The contest was rigged

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2004 04:03
Congrats

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2004 05:05
wow...not sure how you got 2nd but congrats!(probably because of your use of time)

i got about what i expected...8th

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2004 12:34
congrats!! excellent entry, and an excellent result!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks all! I'm hard working on a "real" version now... back to making prefabs...
Anomaly
Years of Service
User Offline
I noticed the double doesn't do exactly everything I did but pretty close.
Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
There are differences because you have changed his world when you went back in time. There might be enemies where there weren't before and so on.

Your double has some ai to deal with this, but follows your path pretty much.
Anomaly
Years of Service
User Offline
I mean theres a part when I shot the floor but my double didn't.
Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
The double only shoots at enemies. I had to do this otherwise he would just be shooting into nowhere because the robots et all invariably won't be in the same spot when you are back in time.

In the future I will have it so he does both, because at first I had great fun shooting patterns in the wall alongside the double.

When limited ammo is introduced I'm afraid he just won't be able to repeat your old shots willy nilly...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 17:38:26
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 17:38:26