Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Freeform Space Playable!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Beta 2 has been released!

This is the first truly playable build, containing the basic core functionality of the game -fly across the galaxy as a trader or bounty hunter!
The beta includes two upgrades that can be purchased for your ship, 20 trade goods, pirates, hyperspacing, combat and more!

Ive also put a new screen shot up for you to look at while downloading the beta!

Go to http://www.spectre-software.com to download it, and leave some feedback on my web site forum if possible!

Enjoy!!!
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2002 20:24
Nice game, you need to work on your models though. This game has quite some potential if you work on the artwork.
I am designing a similar type of game so we might be competitors

Keep up the good work and I'll keep an eye on you my friend!
Ysk

Yskonyn -
"It's better to wish down here you were up, then to wish up there you were down."
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel on board is when you are on fire."
Chroma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2002 21:04
Is this Kane? And I thought FreeForm was already published thru crystal interactive.
kingius
Years of Service
User Offline
This is Freeform Space, sequal to Freeform ... bigger and better! Have a look at the beta if you dont believe me

Thanks for the comments Yskonyn, which models didnt you like?

Chroma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 04:26
But is this Kane?
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2002 15:48
Well the models itself weren't that bad, but I think you might want to redo your texturing...
If you like I can upload two of my models I use, still without any texture though... It's a spaceship and an artillery cannon with rotary barrels.

Yskonyn -
"It's better to wish down here you were up, then to wish up there you were down."
kingius
Years of Service
User Offline
There are two reasons why the models do not have much in the way of textures on them. Firstly, it takes a long time to texture complicated, and even simple, shapes. Secondly, by using a flat colour, the engine can use 16 million colours to create an infinite variety of different "painted" ships. Although you cannot do this in beta 2, in future builds you will be able to repaint your ship to ANY COLOUR YOU WANT. Quite a cool feature methinks!

Merry christmas to everyone btw.

PS Who the hell is Kane? lol

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2002 05:23
if you want to do a whatever colour thing... create a grey scale of where the textures colours may change and the rest black - then have a standard texture without the gry colour part also black

then simply overlay muliplicate the colour from the greyscale that is chosen and then overlay that using an alpha mask onto the defualt texture. Et voila you can have any colour you choose. Basic prinicpal behind network unit colour in the C&C's

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Dazzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2002 12:02
chroma do u mean Kain? if so its not, try thinking kingy and then you've got it!!

Dazzy
DB IRC Chat irc.hashnet.org port 6667 #darkbasic
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2002 15:54
Kingius, I personally like good textured units better than just the option to define your own colors instead.
I'd rather have less good textured units than a huge amount of units which can be color defined. But that's just my two cents!
Hehe, I just think you're trying to hide your crappy texturing skills!

Yskonyn -
kingius
Years of Service
User Offline
lol

My texturing skills are adequate at best, plus I thought user defined colour would be a cool feature - like picking the colour of your car in Gran Turismo.

The multitexturing idea is very good and I did consider this, however I wasnt sure if it would come as a frame impact as the 3d card effectively has to perform a blend on the shader and its diffuse colour.

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 01:02
User defined color is a good idea. Maybe you could implement a user defined insignia or something to go on the wings... just an idea.

Chroma- Your thinking of Kain. Kingy (now Kingius) programmed the original Freeform, and now FreeForm Space.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
kingius
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm maybe I should go back to my original username and stop confusing people, hehe

BTW, has anyone played the second beta and if so how far did you get? I got a posting on my web site about not being able to spot the station on jumping into a new system, if anyone has suffered from this same problem, simply pull up (til you are past the sun) and you should see the station. This issue will be resolved for the next beta.

kingius
Years of Service
User Offline
Just a quick note to let you know Ive taken your suggestion, and you can get a quick peak of the improvements its given on the ship pages of the Freeform Space section of my web site!

http://www.spectre-software.com

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 02:15
Cool game

Raven Vegetta:
Hey dude thats such an obvious but cool tip WHY have I not thought of it before - thanks

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 22:18:54
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 22:18:54