Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Static Objects Faster then BSP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Why the static object commands were removed from DBPro I have no idea.

BSP Handler - Slow and very particular, no freeware BSP builder comes with DBPro, makes world building a chore.

Static Objects - Quickly build world with code. Save world with code. Fast, fast, faster then bsp. Best of all, allows easy development of third party software for world building.

Why the static object commands were removed from DBPro I have no idea.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2002 11:13
Check out the "make nodetree" command. This is another way of creating static objects but faster.

Mike
Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2002 12:50
"make nodetree" command? What's that? I couldn't find it on Reference Manual, it's not reported on Help-files, compiler doesn't compile it. Wee, is the second patch incoming!!

The evil plan is now even closer!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Specs:- P3 550 Nvidia TNT2M64, 192Mb RAM
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2002 16:50
There is a little program given with DBPro that can convert .x to .bsp then there is no need for bsp editor.
Use a good .x editor ( or an editor that can export to .x ) and convert it with the tool.
Pickles
Years of Service
User Offline
Wait a minute! What the hell kind of bull crap is this that I'm reading.

The word "Nodetree" is found only once in the manual and is used as some kind of excuse for removing static objects.

Where the hell did you get your manual?

World modeling with a 3D modeler is a waist of time and a chore!!!! BSP world builders are designed to make worlds!

Where are the people who developed this program? What the hell do they have to say about their own false advertising?

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2002 02:52
"Where the hell did you get your manual?"

Seeing as Mike wrote the majority of the 3D commands I'd say he's a good bet to know which commands are going to be available. His post did make it did sound as if the command was in there already and he probably thought it was, but at least it means we'll see it shortly.

"World modeling with a 3D modeler is a waist of time and a chore!!!! BSP world builders are designed to make worlds!"

I'd say world modeling with code is far more of a chore actually - I really don't get the problem with no bundled BSP editor Pickles, there are many of them to download from the Internet, use whichever you feel most comfortable with. We don't provide a music authoring package, but you can load mp3s and wavs, we don't provide a 3D modelling package but you can load .X and .3DS - what's the difference? We never actually said we were going to give away a world builder package and for a very good reason - there are many to choose from already and our core skills are in writing the programming language itself, not ancilliary utilities. That doesn't mean we won't in the future however, but don't make it sound like we've missed something out that was originally never promised.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2002 14:47
My mistake, that command isn't enabled yet..... sorry. It will be included in a new patch.

Mike
Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2002 18:04
Mike, could you give us a little information when approximately the next patch will be available? Next month?

The evil plan is now even closer!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Specs:- P3 550 Nvidia TNT2M64, 192Mb RAM
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2002 18:34
I can't be completely specific just yet as we're still going through fixing bugs. I would expect us to release in the next few weeks, maybe middle of October. That's not 100% though, it may be earlier or slightly later.

Mike
Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2002 00:02
Pleaaseeeeeeeeeee..give it to us as a Christmas present eventually...but working...don't rush..

NTekk
Years of Service
User Offline
nodetree...nodetree m..mmm..muustt have...sooon!
Thanks Mike for the insight, I liked static objects,
I was alittle disappointed to see it gone... but now
I know why.......sounds GREAT!
NODETREE BEFORE NOVEMBER???

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 01:15:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 01:15:22