Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Chaos Sorcerer (WH40K Style)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2002 07:39
Hey everyone (and merry christmas to you all),
Finally got round to uploading this. Though it isn't great quality (I had to use a digital camera since my crappy old scanner only takes A4 paper and this was A3), but it gets the message across. Do you like it? There are other WH40K pics on my site if would like to see more.

If that don't work either, go to my CGI section on my site or use this link:
http://xenla.tripod.com/My_CGI/Sorcerer.JPG

Cyas round,
Sina.
"Maybe if you ain't so good, I ain't so bad."--Tony Manero to Stephanie (Karen Lynn Gorney)
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2002 11:40
nice what element did u use?

charcoal?

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2002 13:12
thats what it looked like to me... i love charcoal... so fun to workwith...

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Disco Stu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2002 13:13
Hehe, nothing so fancy. Just an HB pacer, a 6B pencil and a kneadable rubber. Got the blurred effect by sharpening the lead and smudging it across the paper. Then smoothed it out with the pencil and added highlights (if you could call it that) with the rubber. Got an A+ for it in art though so I couldn't really ask for more. Thanks for the reply.
Sina.

"Maybe if you ain't so good, I ain't so bad."--Tony Manero to Stephanie (Karen Lynn Gorney)
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2002 05:01
well aside from his freakish pinky on this left hand and some white stain across the front of his garment...
pretty awesome, should send it into White Dwarf

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Disco Stu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2002 08:30
Oooh another reply, and here I thought people hated.
Thanks yeah I should fix the stain shouldn't I? If I had more time I guess it would've been a far more polished result, though I had to finish in class so that's a bit unfortunate. Hehe, if I was ever going to send something into White Dwarf I'd make sure the quality was at a point where they'd just have to put on the front page (in my dreams that is).
Thanks for the reply and keep em coming,
Sina.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2002 19:10
Wow!!

It make me think of those "Books which YOU are the hero" covers,they used to be beautiful pieces of work like that one.

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 01:56
Whoah that's cool!!! nice work .

I remember those books, I used to cheat all the time .

Van-B
Disco Stu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 03:17
Thanks guys! Most of those I remember had coloured front covers, they were awesome. Great for killing time and brain cells.
Anyone got a request of sorts? It's the holidays and since there's actually very little to do, another picture wouldn't be too bad.
Sina.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 21:29
Well,draw something and I'll model it.

Disco Stu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 02:38
Hehe, ok worth a shot I'll get back to you on that.
Sina.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 05:30

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 19:33
lmao... Act are you bored by any chance
Recently everything has been like "oh you draw, i model" hehee

Disco Stu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 02:25
Hehe, don't worry Raven. I'll make it as difficult as I can for him (though he doesn't even have to do it)
Sina.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 07:40
lmao - you do that he'll only get better trying to dev it
then i'll have to watch my back (^_^)

Disco Stu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 10:06
We're all after you................

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 10:33
lmao ... well just as long as you don't catch up with me is the important thing - don't think my ego could handle that, i'd have to run off crying to Rose for comfort

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 23:36
lol In case you didn't notice,there's a lack of sketch artists around RGT.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2002 08:43
hehee... well RGT is only a small place i'm sure they can survive without the nice lil resources here

Disco Stu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2002 09:31
Oh so now I'm being exploited am I? Grrrr, that really steams my egg noodles!!!!

Now I've been put in such an indecisive position (do I draw a complex image, and let myself be used, or do I refuse and look like a coward??).......oh no the walls, they're melting!!
You see, you see?? Exposure to this type of pressure is painful!

Now if you'll excuse I have some spam to deal with, hmm hentai?!? What the hell is that (click)...............oh my
Sina.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 14:13
see now this is why you should stay here... we don't expect anything so less pressure eh

ya know i'd love to see this coloured - you should look into putting a good few hours aside to do so (^_^)
oh and try looking about for a free hotlinkable site, cause it is kinda annoying having to constantly reload it in another brother for it to be veiwable on the page.
or ya know take all your christmas cash and splash out on hosts now they're pretty cheap - gotta love January Sales

been eyeing a new one up myself cause i'm not sure when they'll get the home system done and lycos is now officially pissin' me off
theres a uk one called 1to1 - probably a ripp from one2one but i don't care ... server prices there are some of the best i've seen

Disco Stu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 02:51
Yes Tripod only lets you link you files remotely if you upgrade to a premium account. I think I'll move over to freewebs, they give 500mb bandwidth a month, 100mb web space and allow remote linking. It's all free too. The only problem I can see with it is that any file over 1mb gets a capped download speed so all the other users have bandwidth for their site. So until I can find a free web drive service somewhere, I may have to stay with Tripod just a bit longer (I am the biggest scab I know).

It would be nice to have a coloured version, though a little difficult because of all the shading that's been done on it. I'll give it a go sometime soon,
Sina.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 08:56
well looks like i'll be paying out for two hosts, but i'm not sure - mean Lycos has always been good to me, one the the best world wide - unlike thier partner tripod, and as an advanced account is £9.99/month for 600mb, a domain (with countless subdomains), 500pop3 email accounts, 10gb bandwidth, infinite tranfer, Unix Apache server - seems like a pretty good deal.

i mean like £120/year for a site like that seems pretty good
i pay that now for bloody T1/month which don't damn'd well work right!

Disco Stu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 07:19
Wow that does sound like a good deal. Maybe I should transfer to lycos. Hmm I'll keep in mind.
Anyhow, I've got a half-completed colour version of the Sorcerer for you. Go to http://xenla.tripod.com and find it under the CGI section.
Hope you like it,
Sina.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 18:58
OH MY GOD!
<< SPEECHLESS >>

Sina's Site

Disco Stu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 02:40
Really? You serious its that good? Wow, what an honour, to have your site be recommended by Raven. Oooh I'm quivering, quick somebody pinch me. I'm glad you like it.
Sina.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 21:55
well i think it is ... certinaly captures the moment well (^_^)

i mean there were a few faults here and there, but as a whole was pretty outstanding. have a very unique style, is nice and fresh
2D is definatly your strong point

Disco Stu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 03:01
Hehe why thank you for the kind words.
I need to learn how to make textures such a plastic and metal....look like plastic and metal (It's all so much easier in Truespace, just set diffuse and specular etc in your shaders). I also need to look into blending colours more, oh and alph channels etc etc, the list goes on.
Thanks again.
Sina.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 03:32
Beautiful work But the left hand is F*cked!

Sorry ignore that last comment, its still damned good

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
Disco Stu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 03:46
The retarded little finger strikes again!!
Seems to offend a few people, everything I do seems to have some sort of imperfection in it. Damn, ah well next time there will be no more retarded pinkeys!!
Cyaz.
Sina

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 15:39
certain textures are easi to accomplish
probably not much different in photoshop, but in paintshop - you take what you want to make plastic and firstly point-to-point select saving the selection to the alpha channel then outline it with a point-to-point white line (1pixel)
add outlines where the plastic lines are to be with another few point to point lines, i'd start with one and check out how it looks and move on. Increaseing the size because it should be slightly larger, then duplicate that vector layer making all the lines in the layer down about 1/4 the size.
Hide the top layer and then using selection, select the entire screen and the select float - finally defloat to get the selection area ... or you could use the layer panel and select each line as raster selections, but when i do that i tend to accidentially promote to raster level hehee

Now feather out the selection by about 2pixels but change to look right. Gausian Blur 10.0 ... now without changing the selection unhide the top layer and gausian blur at 4.0
(not looking too plastically but just wait)

Now you remember that selection alpha you made earlier?
Use that to select on the original picture and duplicate it hiding the original. Combine the visible layers and then goto texture -> soft plastic ... using Custom5 is a good one, then unhide your original picture and change the plastic layer to lumination.
offers a very nice effect, just go over the actual effect with a few light airbrush black strokes to add some darkness is a good effect.

probably almost identical to achieve within photo (^_^)

Disco Stu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2003 01:59
Ooh some home-grown wisdom from RV. Thanks! I'm copy/pasting this into a notepad document, it's certainly useful. Some things are a little different in PS (alpha channels behave differently, or maybe its just that I have to use keyboard shortcuts) but shouldn't be too hard to recreate.
I get the feeling that this effect would look nice on text, making it look all shiny and smooth.
Thanks again.
Sina.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 13:04:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 13:04:55