Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Why is this happening to me? :(

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2002 21:13
I have the following computer:

Intel Pentium 4 - 2 GHZ
Sound Blaster Audigy
256 RAM
Geforce 4 MX 440 - 64 megas
WinXP

Some games lag sometimes. No no, not playing online. Exemple: Playing Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 it can almost stop sometimes, but the general FPS are very good at any resolution. The very same happens with an old classic as Diablo 2... sometimes the game can get really slow for a few seconds, and then come up again to the normal rate.
This happens with almost games I have, including newers ( James Bond Night Fire ) and older ones ( As Need for Speed 2/3 and Diablo series ).

Weird that this problem does not happen with a heavy game as Unreal Tournament 2003.
I also can hear my hard drive running faster during this slow down process... Does anyone have the same problem sometimes? Any ideas about what I should do? This is making me sad...

Thanks again
"Never argue with an Idiot, they will always bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
-- Rogue
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2002 22:15
Oh yeah, I should have said that I'm currently using DirectX 9.0, but I had the same problem with 8.1. Also, my hard drive is optmized with Norton System Works

"Never argue with an Idiot, they will always bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
-- Rogue
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2002 22:24
Its sounds like the swap file is being 'tidied' or the games need to pull in data due to lack of memory in your system or on your graphics card.

Get rid of System works - its not exactly trustworthy (and may be causing the problem)...

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
Oh my, yes...
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2002 23:06
The problem seems to be either to little avalible free space on C: or that system works messes with your HDD. 256 RAM is more then me and I don't have any problems like that.

[b]Digital Awakening
Game in developement: 3D RPG - The Magic Land
Visit DigAw.com for more info and shots
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2002 23:19
its probably the system works... try boosting up your virtual memory... ... i have a problem like that with mechwarrior 3 but its just because it wasnt built for win2k pro...

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 01:28
Ok thanks guys. I will give more details. my HD is about 80 gigas. The C:\ is where WindowsXP is situaded and it has about 8 Gigas. I also have some programs installed on this drive as players and eveyrhint system related ( Players, Graphic/ Sound Card Drivers ). about 5 Gigas are used which obviously 3 Gigas are free .

The bigger is the D:\ where I instal games and download stuff. It's about 60 Gigas. The E:\ is my backup drive, where I put programs I need often install or just as backup so If I have to format C:\ or D:\ I backup on E:\ ( yeah, sounds very useless ).

Well, sorry for the NooB question :S How to boost the virtual memory? I've just seem that with some programs in the ages of Win 95 when I had 16 megas of RAM

So, I will take away now Norton System DOES NOT Works and use the ordinary defrag and see what happens

Thanks a lot guys That was a fast quick support far better then Mandrake Linux Support

-- Rogue
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 02:43
ooooh that hurts... i love linux... newayz... i know its easy to set aside virtual memory on win 98 and below... =\ and extremely easy to do on a mac..... im nor sure about winxp... i bet you could download a program to handle it for you

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 03:40
Thanks DarthPuff, I will take a look around on download.com

-- Rogue
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 04:18
^_^ standing if that is the problem... also need to download the new drivers for your video card... for mine it said it would boost the performance up 25% speed wise... thats like a 160 meg card O_O

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 06:16
This has happen'd to me recently with a few machines and XP ... found out it was somethin' to do with the network, not exactly sure what but once i replaced the cards the system acted fine again.

If its a game only problem, then thats DirectX 8.1 - also the memory allocated because it doesn't cache the memory properly unless you set that up yourselfs, and you'd be surprised the amount of development houses that don't even bother editing the API

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 06:20
i know... o_O he has directx 9.0 and its doin that... i think its a memory thing...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 05:41
there is another possibility... install Windows 9x|Me on a different harddisk nothing to big cause what you'll be testing is virtual memory.

fill it so you only have 10% left on it
then see if your system acts slow still ... if it does then contact if in flat block the building super, and if in a residential home check the electrical meter.
Because it is a problem that will arrise in USB and 300watt+ systsems that they'll try to take more power than a socket will release - so the overall effect is a slowdown.
Still for that would need to know if he is getting it only in games or over the entire system.

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 06:56
o_O if its the power thingy get a backup power supply... O_O it will work like this...
power goes into the power supply... its charged when your sleeping...
the computer takes a lil extra power from the supply to keep it charged all the way...
the power supply will charge while your not using much power... so on...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 17:03
lol right now i've run like so many tests ... and i'm no closer to the answer now than when i'd started this about a week ago

i think i'll throw my system away and buy a new one (^_^)
anyone wanna lend me like £1k for a new vaio

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 17:32
not reading all the above

------------------------

Defrag your drive.

Delete the whole swap file

Defrag again

Put the swap file back

Volla a faster drive. XP seems to split the swap file up over time which slows down the HD speed as it has to access different parts of the drive. Bit silly really, but the fix should do for about a month and as we ALL defrag once a month everything should be OK

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 17:33
Opps i forgot one step....

1) Defrag your drive.

2) Delete the whole swap file

3) RESTART COMP

4) Defrag again

5) Put the swap file back

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 02:47
O_O martyn have you ever tried defragging 120 gigs... you know how long that takes... i would just about cry if i was forced to do that... o_O and defraggin is pointless... especially if you used hacked software... because if you do ... you have to reformat every month anyways ^_^...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 14:37
i was gonna say this... when you have two 180gb HDD, which are still only ATA 100 - lmao its easier just to format the bloody things and reinstall

anyone notice that WinXP's Defragger now doesn't tell you a hell of alot on what its actually defragging, and it takes almost 2x as long
i swear it literally took my Laptop's 60gb HDD DMA/66 almost 8hours to defrag! and the speed still hasn't come back yet. Ho hum eh

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2002 04:32
o_O i tried defragin my 100 gig... ended up fucking up my os... i will never do it again.... (besides its pointless.. just like degaussing your monitor)...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 09:27:06
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 09:27:06