Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / D E A D PC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 02:25
this is quite off the subject.

ok... i officially toasted my pc.
earlier today i was working on MY pc then i went to play my gamecube for about an hour w/o turning the machine off....i usually leave it on but this time when i came back to my computer it was checking drive c for errors; i pressed a key and it locked up. so, i reset the computer to bring it back to normal mode, not safe mode, then i came accross a blinking underscore in the top left, apparently not a good sign. then i reset it again and again but still got a blinking cursor w/o getting to the POST screen, the screen that shows memory and such.....

I even took out the RAM and put it back in. when i reset it again, it beeps once like it always does, then the stupid cursor again. there is no code anywhere to tell me what this means, although before this when my computer starts up it always beeps once. please help!!!
noobie game designer
Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 17:19
WEll, thats bad for you! I've fried a laptop before, and it doesnt even turn on now, unless we get a new batter which we won't!! Unless I buy one myself, which I would do, but the thing is, it is running on 95 still!! That is how old it is!

But, on XP, sometimes it shows the blinking line for about 6 or 7 seconds before going to the log on screen... What OS are you running?

And I bet your posting this from a different computer, correct?

AlamDV, NHL, NHL 2K3....... The best combination ever!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 17:46
I have got to that little blinking screen a few times. Resetting, did you press the little button with a pen? I would try turning the whole machine off (the multi power adapter in the back) then just leaving it to rest a little while. Then come back, and try.

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
Upcoming- MMOFPS- Paintball Game: HELP WANTED!
Http://halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
soap_shoes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 23:05
TY guys, and yes im on my dads computer.

noobie game designer
soap_shoes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 23:06
oh yea im running win 98.

noobie game designer
soap_shoes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 23:48
1 more thing, though. wouldnt the reset button only reset the machine? just like turning it off and back on?

noobie game designer
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 02:23
if your floppy works then a start-up disk may fix everything - make one on ya dads computer:
START-->SETTINGS-->CONTROL PANEL-->ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS-->STARTUP DISK-->CREATE DISK
soap_shoes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 02:27
Thanks for your help, but i actually already tried that. Infact, i have set my BIOS for it to start off of my hard drive, but it doesnt even get to reading that!!

i also tried replacing the CMOS battery w/ my segasaturn lithium battery, but same thing. So, maybe the BIOS is screwed?

noobie game designer
Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 10:06
If all that is happening when you boot the PC is a blinking cursor and 1 to 3 beeps from the motherboard, one of two things is bad. Either the processor or a stick of ram is fried/not seated properly.

I'd try for ram 1st. Take out all the sticks, making sure NOT to touch any of the metal parts on them. The slightest static shock can fry them. Put them back in one at a time and try to boot the machine. If it boots with one, try another. If it doesn't boot with the first stick, try another one by itself. If it's not that, I'd guess the Proc overheated and fried.

-Kensupen
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 12:45
I've had problems with my graphics card popping out of it's slot before that gave me a smiley in the top left corner. Try reseating your graphics card too.
soap_shoes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 00:01
Ok, Ive tried replacing the graphics card once and same thing. so, it might be the RAM, although i have took it back before......wait ok what i have doon is taken the RAM out and......ok...........OK, ive took out the RAM and put it back in, but the response was that it gave me an endless series of short beeps. that meant that the RAM wasnt in correctly, so i replaced it and the the usual one beep the the cursor.......so maybe the processor?? that would blow HARD....THANKS !!!!!!!

noobie game designer
Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 18:59
Quote: "Try reseating your graphics card too."

Ha! I don't thing he would want to reseat his graphics card. Maybe resetting it? heh! ReSEATing!!! lo;

AlamDV, NHL, NHL 2K3....... The best combination ever!
Anarchist451
Years of Service
User Offline
First, DarkJedi, it IS called reSEATing. That is the correct term used to removing and re-inserting a component.
Second, If your PC does not POST (power on self test), then your processor is fried. Bad ram would not cause your PC not to post, a bad expansion card (NIC, Video, Sound Board, ETC) would not cause your system not to post. Typically, a bad expansion card will keep your PC from powering on period if anything.

My home PC is dead at the moment due to my AMD1ghz athalon that caught on fire.

If your fan turns on, the CD rom drive (if you have one) lights up, but the hard drive and floppy do not access then your processor is busted, bud.
soap_shoes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2002 17:49
well, that sounds like exactly my situation. i think it might've fried while i was playing Metriod Prime in another room, but there is no evidence on the processor of being fried. That means no black burns or marks anywhere and it doesnt smell. and, in the past, it has overheated. so, i think you're right, anarchist, about my problem, but i may still take it into a shop before i shell out more dough for another chip quite yet.

noobie game designer
Skyone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 02:48

I mean...Poor little computer.
Did you try blowing it up!?

Code of the Week: Moving an object back.
If Downkey()=1 then Move object x,-10
x=Object Number
soap_shoes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 02:59
LOL no not yet. maybe i need to hit it w/ a hammer? hmm.............oh and how did u get that animation in your post and where could i find a list on how to make all of the faces ???

TY

noobie game designer
soap_shoes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 03:28
um i think i just wasted $30. i took it to the shop, and they replaced the cpu w/ another one and.......wait for it.......it got past post and worked. it was the cpu.

TY

noobie game designer
Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 07:59
HINT:
Put a fan on this one...

-Kensupen
soap_shoes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 18:53
LOL i did on the last one too. and, this time, ima get a better fan w/ a better case...

noobie game designer
Anarchist451
Years of Service
User Offline
See. I was a PC support tech in the Marine Corps for 4 years. Good to know it's up and running though.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 19:46:24
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 19:46:24