Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 19:58
DBP. Have to say that the editor sucks, and the commands just dont make any sence. And the manual? ... Its no manual, its a joke!

Let me take one example.

Prepare matrix texture. I know its been there all the time, but COMMON!

why is it the only command that uses the word PREPARE ? is it the ONLY texturing command? no!
Then screw the compability issues with the "first-try-to-make-a-compiler"-basic and make the DBP a better language with commands that are constructed by a system, not just "what should be call this command, then?". Some commands uses 'set' before them, some dont.

Heres a shot

Matrix Texture x,x,x,x
Matrix Position x,x,x,x
Matrix Properties x,x,x,x,x,x,x

etc.

OR...

Texture matrix
Texture object
Texture ....

-N
haggisman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 20:15
this thread will probably be deleted, or flamebaited.

Nikkoz are these just some ramblings that you fealt like sharing with the group, come'on lets all have a group hug.

Specs:- 1GHZ athlon, Radeon8500, 192mb ram, winxp
Nikkoz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 21:20
Its no flamebait. It makes sence.
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 21:24
We've all moaned about the manual before - even DBS have said (more or less), its not much cop.

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Nikkoz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 21:30
But why release a $99 product if its not working properly? Ok, if the program is patched, but whos gonna patch the manuals?

And they released patch 1 in the same breath as DBP came out. Why didnt wait another month and release a better version instead?

Well i know why, and who to thank for this. All cry babies out there who where going to tell their moms if DBP wasnt released directly! "Mommy, i want it, i want it. Wouaeee Wouaeeeeeeee". Hope your satisfied now.
haggisman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 21:34
Have to say that the editor sucks

let me think about that, ummmm... no

and the commands just dont make any sence

oh im sorry does the MOVE OBJECT command not make sense.

Its no manual, its a joke!

what did you expect, a 1,000, 10,000 or 100,000 page book illustrated and every page printed on gold leaf?

Then screw the compability issues with the "first-try-to-make-a-compiler"-basic

Other than the fact Blitz was already a compiler, i hardly see how it would affect compatibility

and make the DBP a better language with commands that are constructed by a system, not just "what should be call this command, then?". Some commands uses 'set' before them, some dont.

Oh im sorry but didn't you want compatibility with DB, well changing the commandset wouldn't help would it.

haggisman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 21:38
But why release a $99 product if its not working properly? Ok, if the program is patched, but whos gonna patch the manuals?

The very reason for the RGT online commandset thingy.

And they released patch 1 in the same breath as DBP came out. Why didnt wait another month and release a better version instead?

is there a difference?

Well i know why, and who to thank for this. All cry babies out there who where going to tell their moms if DBP wasnt released directly! "Mommy, i want it, i want it. Wouaeee Wouaeeeeeeee". Hope your satisfied now.

Huh, unless those peoples mommy's decided to contact DBS i don't see how this relates to DBpro's release date.

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2002 22:05
lol

"Never argue with an Idiot, they will always bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
-- Megaman X
Nikkoz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 13:54
whatever...
Nikkoz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 13:56
Haggisman: Do you think that the commands are constructured in a logic way? If you read the first you know what im talking about.
haggisman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 14:15
Haggisman: Do you think that the commands are constructured in a logic way? If you read the first you know what im talking about.

Yes i do know what you are talking about, you are pointing out that the DBpro commands are inconsistent, I was making the point that it would break compatibilty with DB that you clearly want. Maybe you should be more Consistent.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 15:31
"DBP. Have to say that the editor sucks,"

>> Err... no. Everybody else it would seem disagrees with you.

" and the commands just dont make any sence. And the manual? ... Its no manual, its a joke!"

>> Yes, the manual is crap but there is plenty of help in the forum

"Prepare matrix texture. I know its been there all the time, but COMMON!"

>> No, it makes perfect sense, because the command does not actually texture the matrix, it just prepares the texture tiles ready for use by DBP

"Then screw the compability issues with the "first-try-to-make-a-compiler"-basic and make the DBP a better language with commands that are constructed by a system"

>> At least try and get an understanding of how DBP works before spouting such rubbish. Personally I don't like the multi-word structure but it isn't too bad.

>> Some commands uses 'set' before them, some dont.

Fair comment, Lee! Fix it!

NOBODY has a forum name as stupid as Darth Shader. I do.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 16:51
i've been wondering actually, i know that alot of the commands have been kept to ensure compatibility and also not to screw up an entire language that everyone has learnt - oki that i can understand.

Now although all of the functions are clearly typed out and are very self explainitory - some users have felt that the tie to the old names is actually slowing thier development down because they spend ages (those who don't write at 16bln words per minute ) just writing down the basics.

alpha bending available() for example now by all means keep the function but perhaps also add support for
alpha check() ...
everytime i come on recently i have more and more ideas for Ciyanna - I just hope that i can get something good and working well soon for everyone, even if it isn't too complex

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 04:03:44
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 04:03:44