Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 17:23
Does any body know how to make shooting bullets faster
so far I have been shooting bulets by positoning an object at my x,y,z co-ordinates and using mouseclick,bulletlife move object etc...
it takes too long to shoot this bullet and get a response on the target.
if i move the bullet too quickly it moves through objects unnoticed
I was playing half-life (a game) yesterday and noticed that
you could fire a gun from a great distance and the result on the target was INSTANT.
I thought about how they might do this and i came up with two ideas non of which work in practice.
firstly.

have a long thin cylinder locked on and running through the centre of the screen if this collides with anything and the object it collides with can be seen (in other words its not behind a wall) and mouseclick()=1 then kill the target.
I looked at a command called object on screen and the folowing code would work if this command only returned a 1
if the object was only visible however it does not work because this command returns a one when it is on screen but even when it is obscured.
CODE:

or something like that
does anybody have any other ways of super fast bullets?
PPPLLLLEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSSEEEEEEEE!!!!
haggisman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 19:11
You could use intersect object command, or use the plane equation from the RGT board

http://www.realgametools.net/forums/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=2578

Specs:- 1GHZ athlon, Radeon8500, 192mb ram, winxp
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2002 19:30
How about making two objects for each bullet?

One object for the bullet, and then another object with a length equal to or slightly greater than the distance the bullet is travelling on each program loop.

i.e. If your bullet is travelling 10 units per program loop, make another object the size of the bullet, but 10 or 11 units long. Hide this object, so it is invisible.

Position it so that the front of it is inline with the front of the bullet. So as the bullet is travelling, the other object starts at the nose of the bullet, and has a trail behind it the length of the speed of bullet movement. You need to set it up this way so that it doesnt detect a collision before the bullet reaches the object.

Now when you test for collision, test against the invisible object. This invisible object shouldn't be able to pass through anything without overlapping with it at some point.

Machine: P4 2200, 512MB, GeForce4 64MB, Audigy Platinum

There's a junglist inside every coder. http://www.kontact-kru.com for my own personal breakbeat terrorism.
CajunCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't even need the invisible object, just use one thin long streak and it will look like a bullet streak, unless u want the bullet invisible/no tracer.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 05:45:58
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 05:45:58