Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello all
I really want to make a 3D games thats been in my head for ages so i naturally downloaded DarkBasic and Pro verisons to see what they were like but i havent a clue how t make my levels or make 3D models ie characters and othere models.

Can someone help me out.
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2002 17:48
For model creation use something like Cinema4D, 3DMax or some of the free ones.
There are plenty of BSP creating programs around too, although at the moment it might be best to stick with .X graphics.

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Simon128D
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the reply but could i use the Quake 3 level editor for make my levels? and then import them to DB pro?

And what is .X

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2002 18:31
You can use Quark for Quake 3 editing.

.X is Microsofts 3d graphics format for objects.

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2002 18:34
yeah u could use a Quake BSP editor and import the levels to DBpro. .X is a extension as .jpg, .bmp which stands for DirectX Model or simply .X.
3D studio Max isfar expensive, if someone has it here is pirated or rich ( don't remember who said it, but it's really true ).
If I'd you I would start with something cheaper and powerful as Milkshape 3d which costs 20 bucks.

www.milkshape3d.com

and also has pently of tutorials on the net:

http://xu1productions.com/3dstudio/tutorials.html

hope it's of any help

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
-- Rogue
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2002 18:34
ops we posted almost together

-- Rogue
Simon128D
Years of Service
User Offline
i have allot of experiance with gtkRadiant, will this work fine? would i just have to save my level as .X files instead of its default?

Can i use textures etc from quake 3 to assist me in my development and expect DB Pro to translate them ok?

black_mage
Years of Service
User Offline
where can you find free .x model programs?(?)

MMORPG:help me and get $$
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 00:22
Ain't many freewarez I know... there's anim8or that u can play a lot with, but just forget about animated objects with that one...

www.anim8or.com

It also do not export to .X, but exports to .3ds which is good enough and DB can load it. But if even so, u want to convert to .X, MS DirectX SDK has a converter and 3D
Exploration ( which is not free ) can do the job. Try search on google and u may find many things

Radiant is quite good and yes, u can load the maps into DBpro as BSP's. And yes, Quake 3 textures will be imported with DBpro as well the maps ( BSP's )

-- Rogue
WarWolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 00:46
gtkRadiant will do just fine, but you will not be able to sell the games that you make then. There are lots of licensing issues with it...

I didn't steal it!
Simon128D
Years of Service
User Offline
ok thats great but just one last question how do i load my map into DBPro so i can see it running?

I dont want to use gtkRadiant with Quake 3 but i will if i have to.

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 02:05
LOAD BSP
This command will load a BSP world into the 3D scene. The BSP world automatically draws to the current
camera and cannot be rotated or repositioned. Culling, texturing and collision are all handled automatically
and through the related world commands. The first parameter allows you to specify a packed file containing
the BSP world files, normally a PAK or PK3 file. If the BSP world is not being loaded from a packed file, this
parameter should be an empty string. The second parameter is the BSP filename of the world you wish to
load. This file can either be contained within the specified packed file, or exist as a standalone BSP file. If
loading the BSP file as a standalone file, ensure the current directory contains any files used by the BSP
world.

SYNTAX
LOAD BSP PK3 Filename, BSP Filename

RELATED INFO
WORLD Commands Menu
Index

EXAMPLE
View Showcase Example
View Usage Example

-- Rogue

Login to post a reply