Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Starting Character animation

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hello!

I like many others am pondering the question of just what things are required to say create a simple charcter doing say a simple walk cycle and then ofcourse importing this in to 'Darkbasic pro'.....

My question being just what is recommeded for this, something that could be easily imported in to darkbasic ...(preferably something that doesnt involve pissing around with some obscure exporter utilities)...

My first choice would be 3dsmax but its way to expensive,
same with Maya (i dunno if animations created in it could be imported in to darkbasic)
i would like to know what options are left for low cost but decent character animation...
Lancewrath
Years of Service
User Offline
Well if you wanna cheat you can go on Kazaa and get a free 3dsmax proggy.

bfgCAMPER
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks for the advice ..but im a good boy !
im strictly legal
wats kazza by the way?!

Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 03:44
I would recommend Milkshape 3D.
HTTP://www.milkshape3d.com
It's only $20-$25 and I've never had a problem with DB using any models from it yet. (Animated or not) It's not even close to the power of 3DS, but the price is good, and you can make almost anything 3DS can under 15k polys. You just have to take a lot more time to do it.

I made a quick tutorial on the basics of animating in MS3D.
HTTP://dakoren.home.attbi.com

Check it out.

-Kensupen
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 04:22
This is what I use for boned animations >> http://www.insanesoftware.de/

Reg is only $15 and it's much better than Milkshapes anim features.

Else I use 3dsMax 4.2 if I'm animating limbs.

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 TV out - 30gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom - CDRW - Firewire - ATI TV card - All linked to another PC with higher spec
bfgCAMPER
Years of Service
User Offline
hi there

Thats a great tutorial...keep up the good work!
I personally cant stand milkshape but your tutorial, (and certain financial considerations !) have convinced me to give good old milkshake a go...

Thanks

bfgCAMPER
Years of Service
User Offline
hi simple
yes charfx is something to look out for, ive downloaded the latest beta version, but it got some bugs in it, ...personally i hope they get some tutorial examples with it this time round..(and a decent manual)

Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 13:50
Here ya go ..... CharacterFX tutorial >>

http://xu1productions.com/3dstudio/tuts/zbones.html

I haven't tried the beta yet... i'm using V1.3.4 .... not sure when Mike will have V1.4 finished, and my freind is still making the UI graphics.

Anyways.... V1.3.4 works OK for me ... and so does PSI's tutorial.

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 TV out - 30gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom - CDRW - Firewire - ATI TV card - All linked to another PC with higher spec
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 16:28
i wouldn't use any of them for actual darkbasic animation personally ... however milkshape is a good cheap modeling solution.

before you think about animations too deeply and buying alot of programs to achieve what you like, alot of the time your game will demand that you try to keep files sizes and model components to a minimum.

Now no matter if your using DarkBasic Standard|Enhanced|Professional alike, developing a skeletal animator for use with Hierachy and|or Complete Mesh animation is one of the better options.

Now unless you plan to develop an importer complete for Milkshape format or something, it is quite simple to make a series of data points which relate as virtual bones with an XYZ point and then a vertex->bone attachment array.
There are a few demos around where the Virtual Bone data within BVH format has been imported into DarkBasic Standard and using a simple Limb->Joint link been able to use them to create some rather nice animations ... the principals behind that are no different when working with mesh and memblocks.

Research the matter slightly before making up your mind, because developing your own format to accomidate for animation and models has alot of rewards

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
bfgCAMPER
Years of Service
User Offline
hello again

Thanks for the link simple (that zombie tutorial was great)
These cheap and cheerful 3d apps are not as bad as they look!
Raven your suggestions have set my mind racing! im just a darkbasic 'virgin' but using a bvh on a set of points to minimc bone behaviour seems so logical! (are there any tutorial for dark basic on this? ... you get a goldstar if you can show us a link!

Happy new year guys

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 20:40
-Well if you wanna cheat you can go on Kazaa and get a free 3dsmax proggy.

BOOOOOOOO BOOOOOO. Stop pirating. Thats the reason why most say 3ds is so high priced anyways.

Use Milkshape, milkshape milkshape!!!!

Or dish out the big bucks for 3ds max, or Lightwave.

Rhino 3d is also an excellent modelling and its not that hard on the wallet

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
Upcoming- MMOFPS- Paintball Game: HELP WANTED!
Http://halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
GavinO
Years of Service
User Offline
There is no justification for using .5K+ modellers for DB models, unless you are on an actual project with a lead on publishing, etc. Just like hobbyist rockets are not moon-rockets, you don't need 3dsmax5 for hobby modelling/gamemaking. In fact, you will probably get frustrated with something that complex. Milkshape skillz transfer OK to MAX should you ever go far with it, even.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 09:06
kinda a good point Gavin ... personally i think you model with what your most comfortable with, and if you don't already have it with no experience so having to ask about them, then really you shouldn't touch them.

i've still yet to see someone who's pirated the software make something to justify the theft - but maybe i haven't seen the good ones cause they hide. lol

as for the animator i'm trawling through HDDs trying to find the bugger, i did ask bryce for it again but he's not been online for months and i remember last time i asked him he'd lost it lmao

i might setup something to import Milkshape models into DBpro thou - dunno but it is a very simple format

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:59:58
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:59:58