Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
how many players does DBPro support?
next question might sound stupid , but does DBPRO support other versions of the game, or IP addresses(should)?
MMORPG:help me and get $$
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2002 23:17
The multiplayer commands support up to 256 players over Local Lan, TCP/IP, serial and modem games.
black_mage
Years of Service
User Offline
but can I do this:

top server
/ \
#1 / \#2
2nd level servers
/ \ / \
/ \ 1p \
1p 1p 1p
and so on so each second level server holds up to 254 players and then gives information to the top server, which then gives them the appropriate information, so someone in 2nd lev. server #1 can fight with someone in 2nd lev. server #2 between an exchange of information between servers

is it possible?

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 02:39
People have held this discussion before and come to the conclusion that it's very very unlikely that anyone would be able so successfully make an mmorpg in dbpro. It's not designed for it. There are always work arounds, but for a project that big and that serious you should consider other means. Either that, or make an online rpg with under 255 players (which is still a shitload) before embarking on a huge project.

Machine: P4 2200, 512MB, GeForce4 64MB, Audigy Platinum

There's a junglist inside every coder. http://www.kontact-kru.com for my own personal breakbeat terrorism.
black_mage
Years of Service
User Offline
well there has been a sucsessfull mmorpg game made wonder how?

this multi level server theory should work

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 02:50
Someones made a MMORPG in dbpro?? Where? Who? When?

Machine: P4 2200, 512MB, GeForce4 64MB, Audigy Platinum

There's a junglist inside every coder. http://www.kontact-kru.com for my own personal breakbeat terrorism.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 03:36
If you want to support more than 256 players then the answer is easy!

Write your own network code to do it

Seriously though, the limit is not DBPro's, it is DirectX/DirectPlay. It takes a great deal of skill and time to write bomb-proof network code, and Micro$oft has already done it for us.

I have heard that someone was trying to create a work-around using the ftp commands to transfer information by collecting and delivering information using files but I'm not sure how that has gone.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 06:40:56
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 06:40:56