Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Suggestion: Hide Matrix ...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 01:30
Would it be possible to add a hide matrixcommand in a future patch? I want to use multiple large matrices, but seeing as there is currently no way to hide them, they slow the game down a huge amount. Even when they're out of camera range or behind the camera, they still slow the game down. Surely this could be accelerated by hiding them?

Anyone else think this would be useful?
Machine: P4 2200, 512MB, GeForce4 64MB, Audigy Platinum

There's a junglist inside every coder. http://www.kontact-kru.com for my own personal breakbeat terrorism.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 03:30
Yep, most definitely.

Until that day comes, you could store the matrix point heights into a memblock, and delete/recreate the matrix as needed.

You'll have to try it out to check that it is fast enough for you of course
mimesis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 04:12
need that one myself
Attreid
Years of Service
User Offline
"Until that day comes, you could store the matrix point heights into a memblock, and delete/recreate the matrix as needed."
warning, create a matrix is slow
I made a matrix editor, and it save all in one file ( height + tile's texture ) => to load a matrix, I need ~8-10 seconds

I'm following John, but I'm not john.
Lol, it is funnier in french
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 17:33
Hmmm, sounds like hide matrix is the only real solution then. Maybe it'll be implemented eventually.

There's a junglist inside every coder. http://www.kontact-kru.com for my own personal breakbeat terrorism.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 17:33
i'd stick away from Matrix altogether and use the new Vector commands to build your own patch matrix

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 21:38
I haven't got even the slightest clue as to what those vector commands do, but I understand they're quite powerful. I'm good with maths, so I should be able to grasp them if there's a FAQ somewhere or a technical doc about them. Any ideas?

Epidemicz
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd like to know more about all these vector commands myself, let me go rtfm...

FAQ would be nice though if anyone knows where???

I am the very disease you pretend to be.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 17:26
Seems a bit odd to add loads of new commands and not have any documentation with them. There must be a FAQ somewhere. Anyone know?

haggisman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 17:57
just read through all these:-

http://www.flipcode.com/geometry/

It may not be explicitly for DBpro, but if you don't know what a vector is I doubt you could use the commands. Also after reading them you will most probably see how intuitive and useful some of the vector commands are.

Specs:- 1GHZ athlon, Radeon8500, 192mb ram, winxp
mimesis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 19:00
"i'd stick away from Matrix altogether and use the new Vector commands to build your own patch matrix"

I do understand vector theory, but I dont understand
how these new functions could replace the matrix system.
I use matrix's when I want an easy way to read the ground altitude, and becose I dont know the math behind it.
If I did know the math to calculate the ground alitude at
a given position on a X mesh, I'd rather use a mesh generated from a standalone modelling app.
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 21:21
It only takes a fraction of a sec to run update matrix, so why not store your matrix tile & height data in either an array or memblock and update it as the camera moves?

I'm confused as to why you would create absolutely gigantic matrixes - it really is very easy for most purposes to have much smaller ones and dynamicaly shuffle them, surely ?

Pneumatic of Xev@EQ
God made the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 14:38
Dont know whether you've tried a through test, but update matrix is very slow. It's perfectly possible to use the shift matrix commands to make a matrix scroll, but not if you want to change the map geometry. Besides, its so much slower and more complex to leave the player centered in the world and move everything else, rather than just move the player.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 15:17
I don't think he was talking about moving everything in the world - just create and position each matrix when it is in view, and delete it when it isn't - sort of like a tiling system.

I haven't tried to check the speed of update matrix, so I'll take your word for its speed
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 16:59
no no. that was my suggestion. im the original poster! but i take your point. some people swear by moving the whole world though and leaving the player centered. makes no sense to me!

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 02:03
I haven't used vector commands yet, but I may have to as I have a similar multiple large matrix problem. That said a simple "hide matrix" command WOULD fix my problem instantly, surely it wouldn't be hard to implement, I always saw it as a strange thing to miss out

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 07:19:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 07:19:47