Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / What's BSP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2002 07:01
I am a compleate newbie so can some one point me in the right direction to find out about BSP.

Thanks
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2002 07:59
Certainly, BSP is the level format created by id 14 (if my memory is correct) years ago ...
Nice simple way of constructing internal structures quickly, and haveing them then render fast. As it will only show the faces you can possibly see ... means that worlds that if you made an model of are like 15,000polygons will show only a room full - say 1,000 polygons.
As a polygon count is paramount for fast game speed, the lower you can get them the more processing power can go on more important things like physics, artificial intelligence and even cool particles

Now the format is widely used within the Quake Series and Half-Life type games, with their formats being supported by DBpro.
You can get BSP creators from most places like
http://www.valve-erc.com - Worldcraft ... the official Half-Life BSP creator, pretty simple but easy
http://www.planetquake.net/quark - QuArK ... Commerial free, a little tricky but powerful tool. Is a little bit of everything!
http://www.volved.com/qsr/download.shtml - Qoole ... a now dead BSP creator, however my personal favourite.
http://www.fileplanet.com Gtk/Jk2/Qe/Q3radient, all under one roof - technically the same BSP creators they are the official Quake3 level editors, quite complex but most power if you can ever figure out howto use them properly

if anyone requires more info on bsp, what it is and how it works - especially those creating thier own versions of it then keep watching the Programs area, as original DB users will be getting a treat hopefully soon.

"For the Greater Good"...
Kyi'Aun (Jedi Master) Rai'Ka
Kale
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2002 15:35
Taken from the Qoole website:

There is a major design flaw within Qoole v0.99; it does not calculate the rather vital floating-point values for export to .MAP files correctly. Using virtually any none 90 degree angle on anything other than the X-axis will result in minute offset ( rounding ) errors, and generate .MAP->.BSP compile errors ( leaks ).

What the flame does not consume, consumes the flame.
----------------------------------------------------------------
AMD XP2100+, Geforce4Ti 4400, 512Mb DDR, Abit KX7.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2002 22:31
I probably should have recommended 2.50 rather than '99
as... '99 is more of an experiement that was just dropped.
All I'd recommend is checkout the editors and keep you eyes peeled for something special to popup for DB/Pro use.

If you fancy your hand however at fixxing these errors manually the full source for '99 0.99 is on the site ... shouldn't be too hard to simple fix the calculations
(Source is MSVC 5.0)

"For the Greater Good"...
Kyi'Aun (Jedi Master) Rai'Ka
Kale
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2002 21:08
keep you eyes peeled for something special to popup for DB/Pro use.
oooo, any hints?

If you fancy your hand however at fixxing these errors manually the full source for '99 0.99 is on the site
if i could, i would

What the flame does not consume, consumes the flame.
----------------------------------------------------------------
AMD XP2100+, Geforce4Ti 4400, 512Mb DDR, Abit KX7.
TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
I think he asked what it is...I don't even know...what does it stand for? giving him a whole history lesson and you still havent even given him the answer >=P

Madehra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2002 20:13
I think he did.
In other words, a bsp file is a scenario file format, sort of, you know those quake and half life levels, they're stored in a bsp file same way you may store an image in a bmp file. But BSPs are more than that, what Raven Vegeta said
You try making a 3d village or something, complete with houses and trees and stuff, by creating DB objects with limbs and stuff, then texture each one, bad idea, im no expert, but from what i understand, you can create that village in a BSP creator program (that probably works like a 3d design program) and then import it in DBpro by loading the bsp.
CD On CD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2002 09:31
ok. after reading this thread can anyone help me here:

1) i'm using world craft's editor

2) i created a SIMPLE world (just boxes, etc)

3) i munched them thru zoner's halflife app

4) it created the final BSP fine (no leaks)

5) i loaded the EXAMPLE in DBP of (the fpsgame.dba)

6) i coded the 1 line part loading THEIR BSP to MINE (in line 283)

7) MY BSP does not show up

QUESTION:
i also created a PAK file using wally.

what ALL is suppose to be INCLUDED in that PAK file? here's what i put in: .MAP / .MAX / .BSP and all the rest that zoner created such as .P1, .P2, etc just for safety's sake.

either way i do it (load just the BSP alone or the PAK and the BSP) when i LOAD it in the provided example, all i get is a purplelish ground & MY world is not there.

any ideas?
what BELONGS in the actual PAK?

thanx in advance.

United We (Still) Stand
pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
Ive been importing from lightwave(save as .x) to bsp converter provided with Darkbasic (have a peek in tools directory). I have had similar problems, ie loading the bsp file in and I get nothing. heres a few suggestions.

0/ I would suggest starting with just a few boxes and build up. try to remember what you did last, when it goes invisible

1/ Make sure your model starting point is under the camera so you drop on it. I moved my model once so the camera just keeps falling .. oops fixed it quick enough. (oh and get the camera to fall directly onto a polygon not edges, found the camera tends to drop through)

2/ perhaps start with just a box to fall on, and build from there

3/ save every revision, because Ive noticed the bsp converter is fussy, this maybe the case with loading bsp's too.

4/ add a box shape into your scene you can hide it somewhere, sometimes when i recompile the map can then be seen in darkbasicpro

5/ wierd one here if I create a shape within a shape the compiler hates it.

pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
and the ambient light + lights still wont work with bsp models so far see post in darkbasicpro section

CD On CD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2002 04:47
thanx pathfinder.
i will give your ideas a 'go'

but, what BELONGS in the actual PAK file?
(if i used a PAK)

United We (Still) Stand
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2002 03:45
As a useless fact, BSP stands for Binary Space Partition.
The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2002 00:23
Ah, but what does that mean? I posted it somewhere else but can't find it anymore.
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2002 00:46
Binary, 0110110101010101010110101010101010. Space, well, you know. That thing when nothing occupies it. Partition, separation basically. I think it's a way of calculating distances between brushes.
Sly D
Years of Service
User Offline
Can DB load .MAP files???

Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2002 06:01
I doubt it. Unless you make a DLL.
Milamber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2002 15:31
There is a converter.

System Specs: AMD Athlon 1700+ XP, GA-7VRX motherboard, 128MB DDR RAM, GeForce2 MX400 64MB VRAM
Sly D
Years of Service
User Offline
Do you have the adress for the converter???

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 13:26:25
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 13:26:25