Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / JTEdit 3D modeler release

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've just put up version 0.02 of my JTEdit 3D modeling and animation package, an incremental release with bug fixes and usability enhancements. Check it out at http://www.jtgame.com/jtedit. It's free.

Note I still need some DB and DBPro users to try it out and tell me how the models created with it work with these products, as I haven't heard from anyone about this since the first release (and I don't have them myself).

JTEdit supports the DirectX format, both the old retained mode and the new skinned mesh formats for both the geometry and animation. (Note that I was the author of the DirectX plug-in for MilkShape.)

Thanks!

-JT
John Thompson
http://www.jtgame.com/jtedit
mohawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 21:34
I have not worked with DB in quite a while but several years ago published on the forum plans and material list for a five dollar homemade digitizer. To use it would require the option of entering measurements in a predetermined loop and creating the old text .X file after entry. Since a lot of DB modelers are not able to do good looking characters freehand in a modeling program it would make things much easier for them to directly enter measurements for a set of cross-sections.
If interested e-mail me and I'll look for the old data
Good luck
Chuck

KamaKase
Years of Service
User Offline
You do C++? Or is it VB?

JAT
Years of Service
User Offline
Chuck - Thanks. I've emailed you.

KamaKase - C++

John Thompson
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 03:00
Cool JAT. I still did not try ur software, but we can see u r a smart guy who knows what he's doing. About the MilkShape plugin it works greatly. I just wanted to give u a little tip. Put ur soft also in RGT and BlitzCoder.com. U released a free modeler and got so few replies... that's sad Looks like everyone here just think about making Massive RPG's and using 3D Max 5.0 (legaly, everyone uses it legally here ). Put also on download.com is a good idea. DarkBasic is there too, but has really bad bad bad bad bad bad bad status... just check it out .
I will try ur software asap when I get back from holliday... keep up the great work .

--Ryu :-]
Lancewrath
Years of Service
User Offline
mwhahaha C++ is cool.. damn am i just another figure on the board for making a 3d rpg using 3ds max!! Damn time to scrap the whole damn thing lol.. maybe i should blow away Furcadia by making it 3d lol

if lance = stoned then darkbasic = ?
JAT
Years of Service
User Offline
Evil,

Thanks for the suggestions. I very much appreciate suggestions like this. I've posted on BlitzCoder. I was in the middle of putting it on download.com--until they asked for a minimum of $79. Maybe later if anyone ever buys a license.

What is RGT? I couldn't find it in a search.

-John

John Thompson
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 06:06
It's another DB/pro forum on US I think it has more peoples in there and I got much faster replies there in some cases ( not always ). It's the short for Real Game Tools. The site is:

http://www.realgametools.com

The forum is at:

http://www.realgametools.net/forums

I think it is that . Sad download.com ask so much... It should be free as long as the product is free I think would be nice of them doing it . Good luck my friend, I will send u an e-mail as soon as I have a computer where I can install things on it

--Ryu :-]
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 10:49
Hmm... i've missed this update
You could ask BennyII to put this up for you, he's doing the hosting of files for free - and JTEdit isn't too large yet, so shouldn't take him too long to recieve and upload

(^_^) having an easier "idiot-proof" interface atleast for the basic things will pobably get more people thinking about licences ... i mean its useful but not quite as simple to setup things as Milkshape
(and even with milkshapes ease there are still some who can't understand howto use it)

i'm gonna checkout the changes later tonite, and try to import a few things into DB Std|Ehd|Pro

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
JAT
Years of Service
User Offline
Evil,

Thanks for the info. I've posted on RGT now also. I'm curious as to the relationship between these two forums, which seem to belong to the same product/company.

Raven,

Who's BennyII?

Regarding JTEdit being "idiot-proof", I will incrementally improve it over time, as you kindly mentioned elsewhere, though at my rate of development of 2-3 hours a day, it will come sloooowly. Being a novice at modeling, and kind of young still in 3D programming, I'm also starting out somewhat handicapped, hence suggestions from more experienced people are greatly appreciated. If you get a chance, I'd love to hear what you would consider the most important areas to address first.

John Thompson
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 17:47
hehee... yeah i know what ya mean about development

i think possibly the first problem that needs some attention are the camera controls.
don't worry greatly about any of the others but the standard Pan - Rotate - Zoom Controls
There is a problem with going outside of the JTEdit window when your moveing the camera (or anything for that matter) which means that the mouse is stuck outside of the program.
Can get frustrating attempting to get it back in, you can check for this with a combination of the AfxGetApp() cPoint.x and cPoint.y stuff
Also the Pan and Rotation should not be based upon a set scale but the current window scale to mean that it always moves the same amount - this means if your zoomed out quite a way you don't have to drag the mouse for years just to move an inch

i think you should place only a small selection of veiw tools on ... as you can only set the grids in certain veiws as certain grids - then shouldn't have them on as optional but have the option to turn them on|off on
As within the Perspective veiw a modeller will oftenly want just the floor plane that should probably be the standard. However it would be nice if you could right-click menu and have the grids on|off selection there

The zoom tool should possibly be a smooth rather than step thing ... if you allow the Zoom Variable to be accessed elsewhere this will allow you to use that figure to have some figures also always in perspective with the veiw.
A grid LOD would also help considerably. say every 50% of zoom it steps again by the ammount that is currently set.

So if your grids are 0.25 and 1.0 on a 200x200 grid and you zoom out 50% then that would automatically change to 0.5 and 2.0 - zoom out again then its 1.0 and 4.0
Means you don't get that nasty effect where all the grid spaces are blurred into each other.
Also i think the Textured, Wireframe, Vertex Points rendering should be placed within the right-click menu for the veiw.
In the end the only thing you will need to click on is Pan - Zoom - Rotation Icons for the veiw ... which makes things appear simpler even though they are just as indepth. It also leaves room for other Icons

I have alot more i can suggest but i feel thats probably the most important right now.

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
HairyCabbage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2003 05:08
I tried to load some of the objects which come with the dark basic package and they are mostly all textured and some animated.

I tried to load 6-7 .x format objects into jtedit but they were untextured and unanimated, it also reported that the .bmp file was missing.
The animated .x objects also have a .dds file which contains additional direct x information, which does not seem to be supported by your program.
Well done though, I will use your program, perhaps when its more fully developed, I dont fancy shelling out for 3dsmax.

Where is the Messiah?
JAT
Years of Service
User Offline
Raven,

Thanks. These are good suggestions. I've been thinking about the grid mechanism too.

Hairy,

I just put up a new release that supports .dds textures and fixes a crash related to textures with alpha channels. Could you send me a model that doesn't work so I can test with it. Please do include the textures too.

If a texture file is missing, it may be that JTEdit can't find it with the file name or path given in the model. It should prompt you to add a media search path and try again (this was a recent fix).

-JT

John Thompson
brittd
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Jat,

All I can say is WOW. While your program needs some refinement on the interface and some bug squashing, I am impress. I have spend the last 2 nights going through the built in help and Tutorial. It is very nice program. Don't suppose you will ever support export to 3ds????
JAT
Years of Service
User Offline
brittd,

Thanks! I replied to your other posting before I saw this one.

Re .3ds files, probably not real soon (unless someone out there wants to beat me to it and write a JTEdit plug-in, but please educate me on the issues between .3ds and .x files.

I imagine one issue is that many premade models are already available in the .3ds format. Hopefully the available converters can convert them. Do they handle the SkinnedMesh formats now? I've got a copy of DarkMATTER on order so I'll be trying them myself soon.

Are there any other issues (i.e. heftier material and rendering options)?

-John

John Thompson

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-17 00:13:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-17 00:13:39