Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Collisions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
How can you set collisions to plains?
As I have built a room with plains as walls and wish to stop the object and camera from going outside of the room.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 22:50
Built in DB collision sucks. I havent ever got it to work. I do it by finding the objects x and y position, then if they are < or > the x and y coordinates that I dont want it to go into then I store the objects position in an array until the objet is not affect by the < and > values.

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy!
Dr DooMer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 02:47
Ahh, the 'wonderful' built-in collision detection. Likewise, I've never got it to work properly - only polygon collision running at about 3fps. I've never tried it again, even after a couple of new collision types appeared.

If you really must use built-in collision, you'll probably need to use polygon collision, or use static boxes or bounding boxes.

Static boxes are good because they're fairly fast, can use a built-in LOS function and are seperate from objects. Problem with them is that they are limited to box shapes, which can't be rotated in any way.

Rotating bounding boxes are good because they're relatively fast and can be rotated to make angles. Problem is, you won't be able to use plains for your scenery anymore.

You'll need to experiment a bit but, like RPGamer, I always program my own mathematic collision code.

"I am a living, thinking entity who was created in the sea of information."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 22:37:55
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 22:37:55