Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Im sooo lost,

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
waz up guys?
i need some help. ive never programmed before but i have always wanted to. i downloaded darkbasic in hopes to learn some programming skills. my problem is with tha basic programming info provided with demo. most of tha things it trys to teach me i understand, but what i dont understand is how to use these things to make a game or something. i understand its gunna take awhile to just make a simple game but im very lost as to what i should do. can some1 plz help me out?
Inkybro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 18:33
Sure, although I don't have DB I can tell you the answer to your question:

Think of programming as building a building. Each command is a brick. Well, more of building a puzzle building. See, everything has to go together correctly or it will return errors. So basically, if you want to program something you'd going to need to know how to put stuff together. Here, pretend we're programming:

If the person clicks his mouse button then
Fire a bullet at the target

See how it is like english in so many ways? You just have to learn that language, DB in your case, and learn to put stuff together.

The first thing I ever did (in QBasic) was a calculator. I did this by using input commands and variables. It's really a lot easier than you think, but also a lot harder (I know that didn't make sense, you'll get it soon enough).

Anyway, don't give up, and never EVER hesitate to ask for help here on the forums!

-Ethan Barron
http://www.wizardduels.com
AIM: WizardDuelsHelp
MSN: FantasyDrawer123321@hotmail.com
Yahoo: Wizfen

soap_shoes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 18:55
VERy good advice!!

noobie game designer
Inkybro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 19:10
Thanks. Stiltzkin, please contact me on MSN/AIM, I think I'd like to talk to you!

-Ethan Barron
AIM: WizardDuelsHelp
MSN: FantasyDrawer123321@hotmail.com
Yahoo: Wizfen

soap_shoes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 19:12
just did.......hrm....

noobie game designer
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 22:38
If you guys want- try catching me on an instant messenger, they are all below. MSN is RPGamer (thebedroomprogrammer@hotmail.com)

I can definitly help you

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy!
cybersamurai
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey RPGamer, i added you to my msn list because you helped me before, so don't freak out to much if you get a wierd IM from someone called CyberSamurai

Rusty Gears
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 01:16
you really should start programming on a calculator.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 16:48:48
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 16:48:48