Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / Blue 2.0 and Windows ME

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I just purchased and downloaded the new Blur GUI 2.0 and I cannot seem to get the Rainbow EXE nor the compiled version of the Rainbow Source to run. On the provided Rainbow EXE I recieve:

Failed to load DLL (1: gui2_release.dll)

I cannot seem to find gui2_release.dll in the downloaded zip file.

When I compile the Rainbow Source code with my Userid and Key I do not recieve errors on the compile but at run time I get:

Failed to load DLL (1: gui2.dll)

I have copied the gui2.dll into my compiler/plugins-user directory as directed but it will not work. My "menudll.dll" still works just fine as do some other dll's I made in C++.

Anyone else run into this??
IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 02:48
might be ME, contact rob

Used to Phoenix_insane
PC - amd athlon 2ghz, 512mb, geforce fx5200 128mb, 200gb, xp pro sp2
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 04:02 Edited at: 15th Oct 2004 04:03
For some reason, Windows 98/ME don't like the latest version of the DLL. I don't quite know where the switch point came, the only option I have is to dig up an old copy of Visual C++ 6.0 and recompile the DLL from source on Windows 98.

This will take a few days to sort out, please bear with me.

Its a shame that so many people are running what is effectively a 10 year-old Operating System, but I suppose that XP is quite expensive to buy and upgrading can be fiddly.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 06:39
windows 9x is very unstable compared to nt, windows me is the worse - all the blue screen errors

Used to Phoenix_insane
1tg46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 06:42
Windows XP is the most stable windows operating system, and is worth getting.

Join the group
cassius
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the reply Rob K. Yes it appears that Windows ME does not like the dll. Perhaps the windows API call that you are making to create the hidden app is relative only to NT/2000/XP and is not compatible with the 9X windows API. My guess is that the BLUE GUI 2.0 was built with .NET. Don't know. All of the dll's I have built have been made out of C++ version 6.0 and they all work fine. As far as testing commands go, the program blewup on the startBlue command.

As far as Windows ME is concerned it has never and I mean never blue screened my system. In fact I have more issues with W2K at work than my ME at home. I am guessing that there are other users of ME and 98SE that have had the success that I have had running the OS and haven't yet needed to switch to XP.

Let all of us know, that are using a 10 year old operating system, how things are coming along with that fix. Just a suggestion, maybe make two downloads, one for XP/NT/2000 with your current dll and another recompiled under C++ version 6.0. That way the plugin will truely deliver when it says that it works on ME/98/NT/2000/XP.

Thanks.

Cassius
Guyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 12:52
From what I understand is, that Win98SE is much more stable than ME. I have heard of so many problems with ME and incompatibilities. While there are many items that still work on 98 that no longer function on XP.

I have XP and am hesitant about the new service pack, as it is supposed have many problems with many programs including adobe programs.

XP has been good to me but even it has it's rough edges.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 18:55
Hi cassius,

I'm sorry about the problems you are experiencing and I will sort them out as soon as possible. I haven't made any inroads on the fix yet as I am still building a Windows 98 PC from the various components I have lying around for this purpose.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 21:34
@Rob.k : If you need help for tests on Win98, I'm here
I have a dual boot with Win98 & WinXP on

cassius
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for all of the replys.

Rob K, don't get me wrong, I think you have built a quality plugin, I guess I am just anxious to see it in action. I am already putting you menu plugin to good use on a project I am currently working on.

QA testing is not a vary glamouris job, but a necesary one. The more testing you do the more stable the end product. Thanks for going the extra mile on this Rob. You are serving your customers well.

Cassius
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2004 01:46
Good news

I have the plugin working correctly in Windows 98. I think the problem is that I linked to the SetLayeredWindowAttributes API function which doesn't exist on Windows 98. The answer is to call this function dynamically rather than using a static link.

There are a few other minor issues which I need to address as well. Toolbar tooltips and menu bitmaps will be disabled under Win9x.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2004 04:12
Uploaded a new version.

Please re-download the plugin from the site and copy the new gui2.dll file from the Plugin folder inside the archive to your plugins-user folder.

IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2004 07:50
very quick for you to "fix" the problem - in "" because i haven't tried it yet

less than a day - now thats customer support

Used to be Phoenix_insane registered in september 2003 despite what the date says to the left <--
cassius
Years of Service
User Offline
Very Good. Thanks again for the response Rob. I will have time this evening to try it. I will let you know if I have any more issues. I will also post feedback if I have any issues with other commands.

Cassius
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 23:09
Hi Cassius,

Any Blue v2 specific bugs should be posted on the Blue Bug Report list (go to the Updates page where you downloaded the plugin from and follow the link to the Bug Reports page - I have fixed a couple of problems with it so it should now work correctly).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 23:36:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 23:36:40