Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / I need a collision dll and modeller

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 02:02 Edited at: 15th Oct 2004 02:05
Is it worth buying the Nuclear Glory dll? i just need other peoples opinions. If there are any others, please say. I just need something to make collisions between .x objects and .x worlds accurate.

And what is a good modeller for creating .x objects and worlds and also good for bone animation?

Thanks in advance

i'll make the ultimate game some day...
IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 02:50
ngc do a dll that is free that does basic collision

a good modeller for x format, 3ds max if you've got the cash, blender, though you might not be able to use its gui, look in the 3d chat forum for more modellers

Used to Phoenix_insane
PC - amd athlon 2ghz, 512mb, geforce fx5200 128mb, 200gb, xp pro sp2
Mr Underhill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 03:37
Quote: " ngc do a dll that is free that does basic collision

a good modeller for x format, 3ds max if you've got the cash, blender, though you might not be able to use its gui, look in the 3d chat forum for more modellers"

NGC isn't free, but there are a few that are (Sparky did one, I think).

As for modelling, I recommend Milkshape, it's only $25 or so and it's very, very good.

“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?” -Gandalf
IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 06:42
there is a free ngc dll - it was there very first version (version 2)
http://www.nuclearglory.com/download.php it's right at the bottom and has "free" in square brackets

Used to Phoenix_insane
PC - amd athlon 2ghz, 512mb, geforce fx5200 128mb, 200gb, xp pro sp2
Guyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 12:55
Milkshape makes really great .x objects.
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 14:49
Quote: "Is it worth buying the Nuclear Glory dll?"
Yes it is.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 17:07
NGC is good. Bear in mind the following, although version 3 (imminent) is supposed to add this:

1: You can do Ellip to Ellip collision and ellip to poly, but not poly to poly. So one of your objects must only be bound by a spherical collision area. For example, a poly landscape, and a collision sphere around your character (X/Y/Z dimensions can be different, so it can be "long" to cover a human character)

Wings 3D for modelling is free and more powerful than people realise. If you read the manual (I know, a strange thing these days), you find all sorts of good stuff. The default menu hides half of the functionality, it's enabled in the options.

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Psycho Gary
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 05:42
Quote: "1: You can do Ellip to Ellip collision and ellip to poly, but not poly to poly. So one of your objects must only be bound by a spherical collision area. For example, a poly landscape, and a collision sphere around your character (X/Y/Z dimensions can be different, so it can be "long" to cover a human character)"

So you cant do poly to poly collision...
But you can do collision when its cubic to poly?

Thanks all for advice and help

nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "So you cant do poly to poly collision...
But you can do collision when its cubic to poly?"

You can do collision when it's ellipsoid to ellipsoid (deformed spheres) or ellipsoid to mesh (deformed sphere against a mesh). This works really well for character objects.

It also does raycasting, which is good for lasers and so on. Goto our website and try out the demo if you haven't already: http://www.nuclearglory.com/ngc.php

It's about to be expanded to support poly-2-poly collision (including default OOB and AABB shapes) for your collision detection.

Lead Programmer/Director
Powerful Collision DLL for DBPro and DBC: http://www.nuclearglory.com
Lightwave Scene Exporter to .X also at: http://www.nuclearglory.com
Psycho Gary
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2004 03:16 Edited at: 19th Oct 2004 03:18
kool. So if i buy Nuclear Glory, i can get all the updates straight away as they come out? And it will have all new stuff?

I will stick to the free version for now, but is it worth moving on to buying the full version or is it pretty much similar to free version? (i.e. what new commands are there in the version you buy?)

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2004 05:39
The retail version has the ray casting functions in 2.03 and when 3.01 comes out it will open a whole new area of collision control. You will have more control.

nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2004 17:34 Edited at: 19th Oct 2004 17:43
Quote: "So if i buy Nuclear Glory, i can get all the updates straight away as they come out? And it will have all new stuff?"

Yes, if you purchase the 3.00 version you will get all the upgrades for free for everything we're about to release.

That version 3 page is at:
http://www.nuclearglory.com/ngc_basic.php

There is much to add to version 3 (since it just launched), all of which will be released freely to you.

Quote: "what new commands are there in the version you buy?"

The paid version has more control commands for the SetCollisionsPRO() function to control how the object should collide with slopes. It also has support for dynamic (moving) meshes.

The free version has some bugs that are fixed in the "purchase" version. The free version does not collide with multiple meshes at once very well (you can fall through).

Version 3 is faster and more optimized internally (so you can have more things setup for collision).

Version 3 has support for rotating objects using all rotation commands. Version 2 does not.

Version 3 will have these new collision methods:

Mesh to ellipsoid collision
Mesh to mesh collision
Point to mesh collision
Mesh to point collision

Version 3 will have a visibility toggle so you can see the ellipsoid around your object (not a feature available in v2).

There is more feedback about collisions provided in the "purchase" versions.

That's about all except for the things I missed. The "purchase" versions are a lot better than the free versions. We stopped dealing with the free versions over a year ago. They're kept on-site for archival purposes.

Lead Programmer/Director
Powerful Collision DLL for DBPro and DBC: http://www.nuclearglory.com
Lightwave Scene Exporter to .X also at: http://www.nuclearglory.com
Psycho Gary
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 00:21
cool, i'll use free version a bit, and probably buy retail version later.

Thanx for the info all

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 01:26:12
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 01:26:12