Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / It all comes down to maths... why we get stuck

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I noticed most of us beginers get stuck for one simple reason. Our maths isnt good enough.

At the end of the day, programing is the art of describing things in mathematical terms. So After realizing this, I started visinting my old teachers and having them teach me a few tricks. Going through amazon.com to see that new dark basic book, I came accross something else..

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1584500379/qid=1041704301/br=1-8/ref=br_lf_vg_8//103-5746499-8936663?v=glance&s=videogames&n=696946

It is a book about maths for game programers, sounds like a great buy, havent tried it, but am definatly thinking of getting it.
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 22:08
I never felt maths was that important for programming, unless your doing a financial package... After all, most functions are built-in, and if it isn't present, then you can always find it on the internet.

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Barliesque
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 22:10
I´ve just purchased "3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development." It covers a lot of the necessary subjects that come up, and covers the basics without assuming you already know things like what a summation expression is, etc. etc. There are several 3D Maths books for games programmers out there, but this was the first I came across that didn´t leap-frog over the gaps in my math knowledge.

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/1556229119/ref=cm_custrec_gl_acc/102-8706571-6432128
Barliesque
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 22:13
To MrTAToad:

The scavenger approach may get you a long way, if you´re very patient. Then again, you may not be able to scavenge just the formula you need. The more you understand, the more power you´ve got to do what you want, when you want.
Hilmi2k
Years of Service
User Offline
Besides, look at it, its all maths, it might not look like maths, but it is.

Many of the functions are buggy as I have seen people complain. And lots of them do very normal basic things which you might as well write your own functions for. You need maths for collision, you need maths for AI, you need maths for game physics and you need maths for calculating where you place your menus on screen no mater what the resolution. Over all, you need maths for everything.

levent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2003 03:06
Also, check out the following book for Physics:

Physics for Game Developers
David M. Brourg,
O'REILLY Publishing

-levent
TheNVS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2003 03:47
yep, math is everything. darkbasic is made of math. geometry makes up the graphics. no math, no good programer. btw, it seems as of darkbasic is just a reguler engine. an engine that makes programing easier. for example, when you make a matrix by a command, darkbasic puts and organizes all the points, polygons, edges and surfaces together to form the matrix.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!
Hilmi2k
Years of Service
User Offline
I have already ordered both those books yesterday on Amazon.com, dont know when they will arrive, I ordered regular mail this time, because recently I have spent too much on stuff.

I will tell you what I think of them when I get them.

The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 00:32
It would be good to have a site containing useful maths formulae and definitions used in programming. For example, velocity and acceleration, gravity, vectors etc.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 00:38
sin, cos..

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 00:42
Sorry TAT but I agree that most programming is Mathematical. However I only got a C at GCSE Maths so I'm not what you would call a genius at it, but If I say so my self I'm pretty damn resorceful at programming in many languages. The only real mathematical principles you need to understand are base level algebra, graph functions/coordinates and in rarer cases, sin cos tan

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 13:43
exactly

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
Specifically a good programmer needs good arithmetic and algebra skills.

Trigonometry, Geometry, Calculus, Differential Equations and Matrix Algebra are far less important.

The more you see, the more you know.
The more you know, the more you see.
TheNVS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2003 14:26
but Trigonometry, Geometry, Calculus, Differential Equations, Matrix Algebra, and Physics are more powerful. master theses and you could do so much(with graphics and movement of objects mostly). like the Masked Coder. you might not have to use darkbasic. but it is true that you do need algebra skills a lot in programing.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2003 22:18
Agreed basic programming is high % Algebra

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 18:34:24
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 18:34:24