Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Dark Chip 8 Version 1.0

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Well... it's been a while since an update was released of my Dark Basic Chip 8 emulator... Part of the reason was trying to get a few tough bugs squashed or fixed and the other part was the holidays. But now here's Version 1.0 of the emulator (no longer beta...)

Here's what's been changed since the last release (0.8 beta)

0.9 Beta (not released)
* Fixed the random opcode so it works correctly... (TETRIS now works with right pieces!!)
* Only ONE game left that isn't playable (BLITZ)

* Implemented a hack that fixes Blitz. Squash and Wall now doesn't draw a paddle on a wall.
* ALL GAMES ARE NOW PLAYABLE HOORAY!!!

And here's the link where you can download the emulator.

http://www.geocities.com/kvanza/darkchip8.htm

Enjoy playing Tetris and Blitz with this release (Blitz you'll notice plays a lot like a Dark Basic demo you may remember...)

Also please note that all controls for the games are listed in the file "compatibility.txt"

Feedback is welcome and if you encounter any problems (hopefully none left...) then let me know. E-mail address is inside the readme file.
Blade
Can you do that???
Why not?
Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Dark Chip 8 Version 1.01 now released.

This release fixes up the delay and sound timers and now the emulator should "buzz" when needed. I meant to put this into 1.0 but forgot about it... Anyways, very short buzzes may still get clipped depending on speed.

Blade
Can you do that???
Why not?
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2003 22:41
Cool

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2003 22:43
But everything flickers...

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2003 22:44
I think its got something to do with SYNC commands (coz it does that in my programs with sync)

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually the flickering is true to the way Chip 8 works itself. All drawing functions in Chip 8 is done using XOR functions and to determine sprite collision.

I'm considering adding an option that allows you to disable the "flicker" by only updating the screen when pixels are drawn but this may or may not solve flickering on all games.

Blade
Can you do that???
Why not?
Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
DarkChip 8 Version 1.1

This release now includes a set of Super Chip roms as well as the usual Chip 8 roms. The emulator now asks if you want to play Chip 8 or Super Chip roms and displays the appropriate list of games.

The big news for this release is 7 out of 17 Super Chip roms are playable which is a good start for Super Chip emulation.

Also, I've added an option to let you configure the emulated clock speed on the fly. You can speed up Chip 8 games or slow down Super Chip games with this.

Here's a list of the changes.
* Implemented Super Chip extended graphics mode (128 x 64 resolution)

* Implemented Super Chip scroll down command (currently VERY slow)

* User can now adjust the speed of the emulator using keys F5 to F8. This was implemented so that you can speed up the emulator if you feel it's too slow and to adjust speed for Super Chip games as the clock speed should be faster then Chip 8. So what these keys do essentially speed up the emulated clock speed.
F5 = Original Chip 8 emulator speed
F6 = Slightly faster
F7 = Faster
F8 = Very fast (Default Super Chip emulated speed)
Please note that on very low end computers speeding up the clock speed could possibly cause the emulator to skip frames to keep up.

* These Super Chip games are now playable.
ALIEN
BLINKY
JOUST23
MAZE
SQUARE
UBOAT
WORM3

* TODO LIST:
Implement settings for preferences (drawing color, sound, etc.)

Implement Superchip scroll left and right. Speed up scrolling routines

Increase Super Chip compatability.

Blade
Can you do that???
Why not?
Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay... there's a new build of Version 1.1 available. If you have Windows XP and have had problems with the emulator causing the screen to flash this build is for you... If you've already downloaded 1.1 then simply download the XPFix and you'll replace the executable in the DarkChip 8 directory. If you haven't downloaded the current version the new build is included in the distribution.

Blade
Can you do that???
Why not?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 12:53:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 12:53:08