Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi ive been thinking of buying DBpro for a couple of days now. I was using normal Darkbasic about a year ago but the FPS was too slow, so i stopped that. If i get DbPro i could probably make a MMORPG with it cos my m8 knows lots about SQL and server databases etc and he makes forums alot. Also i could probably program the server files in VB (hehe i know a commercial company which did that and got away with it, made thousands *cough* wemade entertainment *cough*).

So:
A) Is DbPRO much faster in terms of 3D/2D rendering?
B) Would it be possible to make a MMORPG this way?
C) If i buy it, it'll be good to be back

ps i wasnt called Death before
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2003 01:15
A) DBPro is much faster at both 3D and 2D. For 3D, you can expect between 5x and 10x the FPS of DBC (DarkBASIC Classic). For 2D sprites, you can expect 100x the speed of DBC. The 2D commands are generally much better, but be warned that the GET IMAGE command is much slower than it used to be.

B) Yes, you could make a MMORPG using DBP, but bear in mind that if you used DirectPlay multiplayer commands & Net Message commands, then you would be limited to 256 players. However, it is very unlikely that that many players will be either online at once or in the same area - so clever optimisations are possible. Multiplayer is pretty tricky in any language though. If you want more players then you could look for the TCP / UDT library for DBP - available from RGT: http://www.realgametools.net/forums.

C) We look forward to you and your creations

NOBODY has a forum name as stupid as Darth Shader. I do.
Death
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for such a nice welcome Darth

Dim IMACRAZYFOO As MadString
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 01:08
The speed difference IS amazing! UNTIL you have a great many objects at once, then DBP slows down to a halt. Theres a Pipeline problem. Hopefully this will be fixed very soon with Patch 4 tho.

Like Darth Said, kultiplayer online is kinda complicated, and semi limited, but this is quite easy to get roundby constantly re-naming, writing and reading coords/variables via ftp (Mind you, at the moment, online gaming is taking me a lot longer to master than most other functions... but thats just my personal lack of knowledge in that particular area )

Again, Welcome back

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 06:33:00
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 06:33:00