Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2004 13:26
Just a question for anyone who would know...

I know the scripting's really flexible, but my question is, are the AI scripts planned to be improved at all? I really liked the look of the FPSC videos, it seems quite promising. But the AI was-- stupid. I mean, I could see some advanced processes in the AI, and the view cone and fall-from-damage was neat, but I've never seen AI that looked easier to defeat . Novices in Unreal Tournament would pwn those guys. It's obviously a bit too much to hope for to expect Xan on Inhuman difficulty (who I have beaten ), but it'd be nice to see some far more alert and intelligent AI that ducks, strafes aside from shots, sneaks up behind the player, runs when low on health, etc. Are the AI script files still in development-- how much is it probably going to be improved?

Thanks ...

Preparing for a month of insanity, inspiration and insight... again!
PowerSoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2004 01:52
that is indeed a good point...for runnng away surely

if health<limit then run_in_oppsoite_dir

obviously that wont work but....

Create? Play? YOU Decide
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2004 05:12
Yes, from the video demos it would have been nice to have seen a somewhat more intelligent example of enemy AI, however from what I have read in total it semms that - (and I would hope) it will be possible to have/script more advanced AI behaviours - I am sure it will and we will see that further as things develop
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2004 05:57
Yes, that's true, but the default opponents should be able to hold their own against an experienced FPS player at least.

Preparing for a month of insanity, inspiration and insight... again!
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2004 12:16
Hi mouse,

not sure if you were replying to me? I agree re: the default opponents. I like hard games with clever opponents. I really meant they did not show a variety of behaviours as an example of what can be done. I did not mean to suggest they were not agressive if you like.

Personally, I think AI enemies should best have a number of behaviours and they can still be agressive or perhaps a softie could be less so - it makes for a variety of interaction and an interesting variety of enemies - all good for gameplay.

It seems from the demo videos that this will be indeed possible at least to some extent. I am sure we will be happy with the possible achievable results. I look forward to shooting some hard ones like that in the demo - I loved the way they got knocked down when shot only to get up again and attack - one enemy knocked over twice at least I believe, great stuff

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 17:30:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 17:30:34