Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / 3DMax Animation/Bones

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2003 08:18
Hi there.
I have a half sensible model of a sort of soldier looking character. I would now like to animate this model (walking, running, shooting and what have you).
I have set up a walk cycle for the charicter using the Bones system of animating in max which works ok but i cant seem to convert it to a .x file with the animation data intact.
I have been using conv3ds with the -A option to convert from 3ds to .x. This produces an error from conv3ds if dummies are used in the animation ("WARNING: Not outputting dummy frame without child!!" Printed about five times), the file is created but the model is deformed and there is no animation data.If dummies are not used there is no error during the conversion process but there is still no animation when i load the model.
I have tried Loop Object, Play Object and set object frame to try to access the animation but it just dosent seem to be there.
Anyone seen this before?
Lancewrath
Years of Service
User Offline
Ya i had the same problem..in fact i used like 10 other convertors and still ran into the same problem. I have a way you can use your 3ds file without having to convert it to x and it still works just as good..
go here
http://darkedit.nmisoftware.com/meshdef.html

if you have any problems figuring out how to animate the model just post and ill help ya.. also after you do the maxscript part on here..and it exports the frames.. you might wanna load each frame up and delete the bones cause they have a habit of popping out of the model in DB.

if god = infinity and infinity = 0 then god = 0
Nemo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 12:02
hi there.
Thanks Lancewrath.
That meshdef works great in db.
My problem now is that it doesnt work in dbpro.
When it gets to the line "make memblock from mesh 99,1" the error "Mesh Does not exist" is generated.
You wouldnt know why that is by any chance, would you???

Lancewrath
Years of Service
User Offline
hmm im not sure i dont have DB pro so i couldnt tell ya but i can look into it. But from what i hear 3ds doesnt work very well in DB pro your better off converting your model to an MD3 and using that.

another reason is.. possibly the data file that is created in DB might be incompadible with DB pro.. try recompiling the model in DB pro and try it... if it still dont work i dont know what to say until i get DB pro.. you might just have to use MD3

if god = infinity and infinity = 0 then god = 0

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 18:26:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 18:26:56