Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Cel-Shading

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey. I saw a cool demo for DBPro in which they claimed to use vertex shaders or pixel shaders or something to produce what they called "cartoon effect". This got me thinking, would it be possible to make a cel-shaded effect in standard DB? The only way I can think of is to alter the lighting... I think the hardest part would be the black outline on the models. any ideas?
Dr DooMer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 23:54
Black outline is the easy part!

As pioneered by Sega (Hurrah!), the easiest way to get the black outline is to take your object, clone it exactly, use a 'fattening' command on it (I think it's called Push in 3DSMax), colour it black and then reverse all the normals.

This will effectively double your polycount, but it's the way it was done in JSR, and is probably the way it's still done in cel-shaded games.

You probably don't quite get what I've just told you (completely understandable - I haven't put it across very well), but just try this on a mesh and you'll see what I mean.

"I am a living, thinking entity who was created in the sea of information."
The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2003 00:10
If I was writing a cel-shading engine, I'd just add in the lines between the polys facing towards the screen and the polys facing away with big black lines, to get the outline effect. However it's not that easy, if possible, with DB.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 23:11:16
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 23:11:16