Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / DB113 is faster ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2002 03:09
i ran tutorial 25 from the original boxed set,
others may have seen my duel networked game that is a copy of tutorial 25 by lee bamber.....

i modified the sync command from tut25 to sync rate 0
then i messured the time delay between updates.
DB113 has a time delay of 20 to 25 milisecs

DBPro with its complicated setup options...
set to full screed exclusive mode ran with a delay of 33 milisecs per update. The rest of the code was left unchanged, and the collision stuff does not work right under Pro, but this was just a speed test only.
also, the monster could not be found. I'll check and see if by locating the monster problem if that fixes some things.
It may be that DBPro has collission turned on for the objects and that could account for the slow down, but just thought some may be interested to know this.
waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2002 03:39
another flaw was that the plains used to show the missile trails do not always point at the camera. There orientation seems to remain fixed in space.
waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2002 04:31
i found the set object to camera oreintation command,
but that also resets the smoke position to the current camera position.... oops another bug ?
a work around is to place the position code after the set object orientation command.

also, in window exclusive mode the delay between updates drops to 25 or so, nice but DB113 was doing that full screen exclusive. Still tinkering here, trying to se why its not "blazingly" faster.
waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2002 05:16
by turning off all collisions, i got frame rates down to the level of DB113.
BUT MOST FRUSTRATING OF ALL
the z buffer is not quite rite....

1 - screen locked objects (HUD) can be blocked by the cube and box primatives reguardless of actual range. They won't block the hud if the object is out of camera range tho...

2 - The box/cube object are always render in front of other objects (missiles, the sphere primative) this really messes up explosions effects if the object being hit is in front of the explosion....
waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2002 06:46
i figured out why i can't find the target goblin...
if i can't point the goblin at the camera....
well, off he goes to wherever he wants to..
waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2002 04:50
I found that ghosted objected are rendered behind other objects requardless of range, also, the Set Object command does not work right with objects that are not ghosted.
Seems like there is alot of work left to be done here before this can be used to actually create a game.
InSiDeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2002 05:42
well for starters you cant expect DBPro to run faster on everyhting, DBPro uses more advanced commands than DB, and there for would be best suited to anotherset of commands in that tutorial.

People have tostart treating DBPro as its own language, because in its own right it is.

Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2002 14:38
DBPro has some serious orientation problems, but things such as rotations are so important that I think they'll fix it as fast as they can. Waffle Iäm sure your topic was a great help to DBS, but I'm also 100% sure that every one of them has already posted to them. We can live with hope of more realible software in the next patch.

The evil plan is now even closer!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Specs:- P3 550 Nvidia TNT2M64, 192Mb RAM
smurfpuss
Years of Service
User Offline
Well Waffle i to has bin anoyd of the speed of dbpro but i think that it will get faster after a while when they have gotten all the bugs fixed and can get to work on the speed issue

waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2002 21:07
DBPro is supposed to be much faster than DB113 because DBv113 uses P-Code (is interpreted) while DBPro is reportedly fully compiled. Also, the older projects were reportedly compatible with only minor modifications....
some one had to test that to se for sure

That's why i don't mind the lack of new media with DBPro, if they can make the old demos work 3 times faster under DBPro, thats all the demo they really need to make. The other stuff would just be to show off new features, which is not too important if the code runs too slow. Remember, we must prove that we are better than B.....

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 12:35:27
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 12:35:27