Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2003 14:41
I've seen this Q asked before but can't remember what the replies were!

Why isn't there a SET ROTATION YXZ? For vehs on the ground you often first know the bearing you want them to point (ie Y) and its then easy to calculate pitch and roll (ie X and Z)

Instead of ROTATE OBJECT I've taken to using

ROTATE OBJECT objno,0,0,0
TURN OBJECT RIGHT objno, thetay
PITCH OBJECT UP objno, thetax
ROLL OBJECT RIGHT left, thetaz

But i can't help feeling this isn't very efficient.

Any answers???
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2003 14:55
Well, ideally you'd only want to worry about X and Y rotation, so you need to forget about Z.

SET OBJECT ROTATION ZYX Objno allows you to do this, because it stops the Z rotation messing up your object orientation. In theory, setting the rotation and rotating on X and Y should do the same job (setting the Z rotation to 0).

Also, If I'm attaching an object to a limb, setting the rotation order makes it possible to just point objects about the place, rotate them freely etc - like in Quake3, the top half of the player is seperate from the legs, allowing independent torso rotation etc. Setting the rotation is the only way to achieve this without all the nightmare maths.

Van-B
wargamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2003 15:10
Thanks Van - but I WANT to roll my vehicles!!! I'll keep using pitch,turn and roll!

BTW - just seen your website - I like the look of SEAM and TRANS - I'll give them a go.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 22:21:11
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 22:21:11