Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Brand new FPS Creator screen shots

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 22:37
Hi all,

I have uploaded 6 new screen shots from FPS Creator games. They were taken this morning from the latest test game builds. You can see the difference the light mapping makes over the standard shots you saw in the video. A few new weapons are also visible.

http://www.fpscreator.com

Click the "screen shots" link.

Cheers,

Rich

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 22:46
One thing I did forget to mention to Lee at the Convention, was : Doesn't the logo look a trifle too similar to the James Bond logo ?

Walk softly... and carry a big gun...
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 22:46
Good point.. personally, I don't think so, but I guess Rick can get it checked out.

- Oscar Wilde
Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 23:32 Edited at: 10th Nov 2004 23:33
i think that the logo is fine... although i'm sure that alternatives might look just as good (the clip was very well done, topped off by the innovative sound and music track).

thanks for keeping us updated with the new preview shots...

questions... (the inevitable questions )

1- assuming that these are in game shots from a level, the levels have been run through the lightmapper (i'm assuming they have)... if so, there seems to be a lot of shadowing missing, the last shot, lower right... those stairs look like they should be casting shadows on the ground from the lights above...

same for the second shot, top row middle... those boxes and the bars should be casting a shadow on the surrounding surfaces, shouldn't they...

the ingame video previews showed a lot more shadow effects in them than the latest shots.

2- it looks like only one object was taking advantage of the bumpmapping effect (the wall section in the first and second shots with the detailing insert)... am i correct as far as that goes, and if so... is there a limit to the amount of geometry per level that can accept the effects.

i ask because there appears to be a few places where bumpmapping could've enhanced the appearance of the level dramatically but wasn't applied (the ceiling, walls and floor in shot 5, lower row center).

3- there is an obvious light leak on the wall in the second shot ( top row middle) looks like it's coming from the lighting behind the wall with the glass windows... nothing earth shattering, just noticeable and worth mentioning.

now i know that these are shots of examples of what is still a work in progress, so i hope that you will take them as such...

--Mike
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2004 23:51
lighting reminds me alot of Quake2.
is there a chance of there being a Global Illuminator being added to give a more realistic feel to the lighting?

Sphere Harmonics are very nice effects, take a little while to compile for large areas but really do give some very good shadows which are damn fast via standard DOT3

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 00:05
The level is using dynamic lights. Processing full light mapping takes a long time and the purpose of this demo game was to show the develpment team how the AI of the enemies was progressing, improvement with weapons, speed up of enemy collision with the scene, blood splat effects + other small issues.

There will be lots of new eye candy later this week / next week - Lee will be making a lot more of the segments and object aviailable to us, so we'll be making some cool levels with many items!

Rick

Commercial Director
TGC Team
[Read "The POWER of NOW by Eckhart Tolle". There is no past or future, only NOW!]
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 00:09
Red - there are various degrees of lightmapping you can use, because as you know a full-on light map of an entire scene can take hours sometimes, depending on complexity, etc. Shadow casting is optional. Even with a very quick pass lightmap and some dynamic spot lights, the difference is quite significant. We'll do some full-on levels when the new beta is released internally (at the moment we only have a handful of map segments to play with, despite there being hundreds of them produced they need converting which is what is happening today).

Cheers,

Rich

- Oscar Wilde
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Cheater! 9999 lives
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 00:14
Heh.. that's not lives, it's health but yes, I did indeed use the cheat-mode to last long enough to take the shots!

- Oscar Wilde
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
So we can cheat

Was the cheat using some sort of a script? Like key-capture?
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 00:23 Edited at: 11th Nov 2004 00:42
Those screens look much better, the others looks a bit.. well.. naff.

As you said Lee has the design sense of a monkey (I think that was the quote)

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 00:33
You mean of a money - designs would keep falling off a money if you tried to put them on it.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 00:42
That would have worked really well, if you had spelt monkey right

Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 01:13 Edited at: 11th Nov 2004 02:04
Quote: "There will be lots of new eye candy later this week / next week - Lee will be making a lot more of the segments and object aviailable to us, so we'll be making some cool levels with many items!
"

... ok, sounds cool Rick

Quote: "We'll do some full-on levels when the new beta is released internally (at the moment we only have a handful of map segments to play with, "

... ok, sounds like a plan Rich.

Quote: "Shadow casting is optional."

good idea to make this optional, seeing as some people might not want to use it for certain scenarios...

i understand that this is a work in progress and don't wanna rush you guys with anything... also, i do appreciate the previews... just asking some dumb, is it done yet, type questions based on what i've just seen...

--Mike
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 01:18
Quote: "That would have worked really well, if you had spelt monkey right "

True...

Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 03:41
I beg you people to put in some arms holding the guns , I know it's not easy to model, I know you'd have to make wide range of textures for 'm, but they make it look so much better!

Good to see it improving

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800+, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce4 Ti4400 128mb
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 15:45
Yes, arms for guns would make it look soooo professional. It doesn't matter too much really what colour thearms are because in a first person shooter, if i remember correctly, you don't see the character

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 17:07
Yeah, but I think make arms optional, cos you have to animate the arms for all the different weapon animations too . Some people may not be that skilled/arsed. Or would the arms be part of the weapon model?

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2004 18:51
The easiest method is to get 2 arm meshes and have them and the gun as 1 model.

In CharacterFX, I have it set up with a mock game viewpoint, so I can see how it would look in the game - then it's fairly easy to animate sways, idles, reloads, and of course the firing. I think it'd keep things nice and neat if the weapons only used 1 model each. Personally, I'd have each weapon in .3DS format, and start with a rigged pair of arms - then once your done, export the lot as a single .X file, then you can simply replace the gun mesh each time and change the animations for each weapon. I would'nt even attempt to animate arms to suit gun without having the gun there at the same time.

One thing though - bullets. How can we tell FPSC where the bullet ejects from - I use 2 dummy bones, one at the start of the barrel, and one at the exit point, I glue a flare effect mesh to the exit point and when firing, it's a case of using the 2 limbs 3D positions to guage the bullet direction. My AI uses that to aim as well, like it can check the angles between the gun barrel and player and adjust it's aim to suit. This method does mean you can forget about locking the gun to the camera, you have to position it and rotate it with the camera instead.

Basically if some people want to start on media, we need to know how this will all work, otherwise we could end up wasting time on media that's no good.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
1tg46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 02:13
Great screen shots, is it as easy to use as it looks?

Click the sig
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
I will have to buy DarkBasic Profesional before I buy this, it seems the best thing to do but I can't wait

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 12:26
The colored lighting's a bit excessive in some of the shots; the world textures also seem quite low res... but the gun, new models, and objects all look fantastic .

[center]
The majority of voters agree that 49% != wrong.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 17:13
This guns look very low poly, and the textures are quite blurred.

(sorry to not keep with the trend )

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2004 07:17
All of the screen shots I have seen show FPSC promise but personally, I just prefer the the way lighting is used in the first series
SeaScape
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2004 20:18 Edited at: 17th Nov 2004 20:29
@ Richard

The screenshots look very promising indeed. I can't wait to get this program and do a little experimentation with it.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2004 22:10
Quote: "In CharacterFX, I have it set up with a mock game viewpoint, so I can see how it would look in the game - then it's fairly easy to animate sways, idles, reloads, and of course the firing. I think it'd keep things nice and neat if the weapons only used 1 model each. Personally, I'd have each weapon in .3DS format, and start with a rigged pair of arms - then once your done, export the lot as a single .X file, then you can simply replace the gun mesh each time and change the animations for each weapon. I would'nt even attempt to animate arms to suit gun without having the gun there at the same time."

I hope that alot is being revisited Animation wise actually.
An Independant Skeleton System, and Object Tagging would REALLY help a huge amount.

The ability to give your models tags, so that they can swap weapons without having to have specilised animations.

A Skeleton System allowing you to blend skeleton animations together, so you could make 1 running, 1 shooting and 1 idle animation. Rather than making the numerous variations at once.
Not to mention the file size cut down!
And added realism!
And the ability to interact physics directly on the skeletons rather than having to mess around with limbs, having to grab limb names, and such. Not to mention giving you more control over interpolation and tweening abilities... which would smooth out the animation from one to another rather than the obvious blip:to or annoyingly slow end:of:sequence.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2004 04:29 Edited at: 20th Nov 2004 04:29
uuhh...BTW what is a M16 doing in either a Sci-Fi or WW2??? (couldn't tell which it was..but the three middle shots)

or did they use M16s in WW2
if so then somebody shoot me for being a idiot

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2004 04:34 Edited at: 20th Nov 2004 05:42
well, we sent a guy back in time to 1943, on a special mission.

we let him pack his own gear, and he chose to take the M16 with him...

can we shoot you now...

(only the first three on the top are the WWII release, the others have been out for a lil longer)

--Mike
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2004 22:52
There aren't any M16's in the WW2 shots. As for using them in a sci-fi scene, well.. who cares? You don't HAVE to allow that weapon to be selected.

- Oscar Wilde
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2004 04:40
Precisely. If the Doctor can defeat the entire evil Dalek Empire with only a few well chosen bon mots and a bag of jelly babies, there is no reason why you can't use a M16.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Dr Who
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2004 20:46
How about using a jelly baby gun instead!

Best Regards,

DoctorWho...
Gre4t
Years of Service
User Offline
Well it's taken me a long time already sifting through these screenshots on my wonderful 56kbp/s internet, and I must say, that I quite like the look of it. Hopefully one day I will be able to buy it. (I'm currently saving for a copy of DarkBASIC Professional, as the last lot of money I planned on buying it with never came through to me, and it's not easy making $100 AU when you are 13.)

Can't wait

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:07:22
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:07:22