Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Outdoor scenes.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 03:46
I know that it doesn't support large outdoor areas, with terrain and stuff, but I was wondering it will be able to do anything like say medal of Honor, where it looked like you were in a forest, and there were trees around you, but it was actually a sort of hallway or room. and do the rooms and hallways have to have roofs? Or can you just open then up at the top,and have say a skybox up their so that it looks like your looking up into the sky?

Guns arnt the problem, people are the problem, shoot all the people and guns arnt a problem anymore.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 04:10
Yes, you can "fake" outdoor environments like Quake does. When you create a room, initially it has no roof so you can see into the skybox.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 04:19
cool, so in theory, I could create a large room, with no roof, and then put a few tree objects in it, a few bushes in it,a nd a ground and wall texture that looks like a forest, and it would look like your walking through a forest! But can the sides of a room, have their own geometry, like to make the forest scene more convincing, what If I wanted to walls to have the shape of a steep slope, could that type of wall be created in a modeling program, and import it?

Guns arnt the problem, people are the problem, shoot all the people and guns arnt a problem anymore.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 04:38
You would probably have to create a custom model for the side and import that.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 08:19
Ok, cool, so I can use milkshape to create custom walls, hallways, sides etc... and then import and place them in FPSC?

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2004 21:51
Yes.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2004 23:22
You could create tree objects if you wish and line the edge of your map with them. Although there is no "terrain" so to speak, you don't have to set everything indoors either. There is a build preference currently called "Auto Floor" which will create a skybox / infinate horizon / grass for you automatically, outside of the buildings you place. You can toggle this on or off depending on the levels.

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2004 11:10
Can you have uneven floors? Such that your floor could have drops, trenches, holes, or elevated areas?

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2004 22:49
Yes, but for minute detail like that (a raised section of a floor) it is something you would have to model yourself.

- Oscar Wilde
Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
quick question, or two...

1- what will be the maximum size (extents) of a level... how big in x,y and z coordinates?

2- will you be able to use a deformable matrix within a level... for animated water as an example?

--Mike
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2004 23:54
Personally, for a water effect I'd use a .X object, animated with the water movement through 5 or 6 bones - I imagine that there's much more chance of that working than deformable matrices being added. An .X model would be far quicker too.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2004 01:15
Quote: "1- what will be the maximum size (extents) of a level... how big in x,y and z coordinates?"

I cannot remember the Pro vs FPSC conversion, but it was 40x40x5 tiles when I saw it (although a few of the new screenshots suggest that the Z limit has been increased).

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2004 14:01
It's something like 40x40x10 at the moment.

- Oscar Wilde

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 19:40:06
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 19:40:06