Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / When will C# be available?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2004 18:09
I know I've asked previously if C# was available, and was told no by Mike.

However, when, if ever, can we officially expect a C# and/or VB.NET version?

--[GameBasic - Coming Soon]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2004 18:45
I think there is a technical issue to overcome first. Finding a way where you can get the .libs built into the final executable so you wont need to ship the sdk with the final product to make it work.

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2004 20:58
I have a better question, where did my thread go? The one about a vb.net/c# sdk version. I dont see it anywhere.

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 DarkTOPIA site coming soon!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2004 21:04
Government Cover-up?

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2004 21:13
Got to look into VB.NET, C# etc. Need to find out what is involved. Not sure what happened to your other thread.

Mike
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2004 21:51 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2004 21:52
I think the safest option will be to use the standard DBPro DLLs and create a C#/VB.NET DLL which can import these functions (along with a few helpers for managing strings and floats).

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2004 21:58
Rob K that is alot harder than it sounds

Argon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2004 22:32
My suggestion to TGC about a .Net port is to keep status quo.

First of all, any .Net programmer working with VS200x can already make a simple native C++ app that handles the DGSDK and make calls into the .Net vm, where, they can put all the game logic they want.

Remember how Quake I was with its quakec?

I just happy to get the ability to use more than TGC flavor of basic.

My experience with .Net ports, and I've been doing this since .Net was first released, is to re-structure the legacy app first, then port.

I fear simply wrapping the DLLs would introduce performance issues. Have we microsoft programer's already forget the problems marshalling has?

I guess this just goes to show that even in .Net, C++, C#, VB, J#, JScript, Delphi, and any other syntax's are all completely seperate camps of developers.

As for me, I have no hangups about mixing languages in order to complete my app.
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2004 23:21
@RobK, Would that still mean that once the project is build, you will need to ship the DBPro dll's with your final project to enble it to work? (I.e. breach the license)

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2004 23:46
Quote: "@RobK, Would that still mean that once the project is build, you will need to ship the DBPro dll's with your final project to enble it to work? (I.e. breach the license)"

Yes, it does mean that.. however it can be used as a temporary means for development in the mean-time.

If there is enough demand for it, then I will temporarily release my .NET Linker to bridge the gap until TGC release thiers. As I'm currently using DBP as a Prototype Engine, until I'm confident enough that the base for my current project is viable enough.

Quote: "I fear simply wrapping the DLLs would introduce performance issues. Have we microsoft programer's already forget the problems marshalling has?"

Actually there is no performance issue, as your Linking commands. The Assembly file you Reference is mearly the .NET version of creating a Header file. While you still require the full DLLs in order for it to work, it does provide you with a very quick and painless way to use the Dark Game Engine.

Quote: "My experience with .Net ports, and I've been doing this since .Net was first released, is to re-structure the legacy app first, then port."

It shouldn't require that provided the engine has been structured as a Class to begin with. Exporting as a .NET DLL is simply a case of setting up a few bits & bobs..

Difference between .NET Assemblies and Linker Libraries though is the fact that Assemblies are not compiled inside the application, but used as Runtimes which are available throughout the system.

Right there might actually be why TGC may never create a .NET version. As it would mean creating some sort of protection layer in order to prefer 3rd Parties using it as they see fit.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:14:53
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:14:53