Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / For Rob - other thread locked

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 06:31
With all due respect, Rob, making the statement \"the release date isn\'t really that important.\" is a matter of opinion--your opinion. For those of us who plan on using this tool for more than just \'hobby\' work, a release date is very important. But, I may be the only one on the board who has that mentality. Regardless, I fail to see the harm either to the consumer or the creator in speculating in days, weeks, or months.

But then again, when a consumer and educator like myself has legitimate questions and they are either brushed off as unimportant and threads get locked, it makes me wonder if perhaps I should be looking at another product for my classroom.

Sorry for wasting your time.
Aoneweb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 06:52
Just when you thought you were going to by software.
Microsoft 2.
The beast return's.

Toshiba Sattelite, 2GHz,Nvidia GeForce4 420go, Windows XP Home. www.aoneweb.com
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 07:01
We are working on it folks! I would say we have a fighting chance of completing just before Christmas! The thing is, if there are still too many little issues we may have to hold on till early January. That's the best I can do for you right now. I can assure you it will not be 1 year from now!

Commercial Director
TGC Team
[Read "The POWER of NOW by Eckhart Tolle". There is no past or future, only NOW!]
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 07:47
Quote: "But then again, when a consumer and educator like myself has legitimate questions and they are either brushed off as unimportant and threads get locked, it makes me wonder if perhaps I should be looking at another product for my classroom.

Sorry for wasting your time"

I think that's maybe a little harsh, but I can understand your point. I don't think the thread should have been locked. But we are all in the knowledge that it will be about a month away.

-------------------------------------
ColdNews.co.uk - the worlds first solo band.
Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2004 22:42 Edited at: 10th Dec 2004 00:09
i can understand fdecker's frustration... and i can sympathize...

but, be advised that my sympathy is not gonna be of much help in the light of the reality of the situation...

there is a strong fanboy contingent here, that will stifle, deride, and try to muffle anything that they perceive as being 'against the holy DB faith'... and unfortunately, some of the moderators here are not immune from this fanboy fever...

in all honesty though, you're gonna that sort of mentality exists on almost every board that supports a 3d game development tool...

so don't be surprised to find that you may in fact, be the only one on the board that has that mentality you speak of in your post.

Rick, i've found... will usually try and give you an honest answer to any legitmate question you pose...

as far as a delivery date... they can offer you one, if you really need one... and then push it back, and push it back some more... i'd rather them give me a fair approximation... and not waste time on, and trying to rush to accomodate public delivery targets...

you, i'm sure, must realize that software development is not always gonna follow the lines on the plan sheets...

also, in the interim, i'm sure that there are plenty of things that you might be doing while you wait for the release... that can be accomodated in your plan or schedule...

hey... i too would like to know the future... i'm no FPSC fanboy, as has been made obvious here at least more than once... but me thinks that they are trying to give a good idea about what and when...

... i mean, if it's under the XMas tree, or if its a few days late... what's the big deal??? end of last quarter 2004 or beginning of fist quarter 2005... no big difference...

--Mike
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2004 00:13
Enters 1 DBPro fanboy...

Let me get this straight, your annoyed because you have no solid release date for FPS?

Well seeing as how it's still being written, I don't think there's much that can be done - feel free to read up on Lee's diary entries though - he makes an entry most days, and from what I've ascertained it's quite close to being released.

Asking any programmer for a release date is simply a way of ending up dissapointed - and asking for a release date for FPSC is just echoing what people have already asked, the official answer is ASAP - what more can you expect?.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2004 00:17 Edited at: 10th Dec 2004 00:20
@Red Oktober

I did not lock the thread because I suffer from "fanboy fever". Fdecker's original thread did not imply criticism of TGC in any way, and it was not the reason why it was locked - and these forums are quite liberal compared to others I visit.

@Fdecker

I'm sorry, my decision was a little harsh. However, speculation often gets accepted as fact on the internet, and products often suffers juvenile flaming if it "misses" the "release date". This of course, is very unfair on both developers and consumers. Red Oktober, you be familiar with this, as a member of the Blitz forums.

I am sure that you would prefer reliable information as opposed to rampant speculation on the part of forum members. Hence it would probably be a much better idea to email Rick instead (rick@thegamecreators.com)

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
i didn't mean to infer that you did Rob...
if you read it that way, you read it wrong.

and as far as this forum being liberal... can we put that off for another time... such a offshoot would hardly be a productive exchange here...

--Mike
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2004 00:43
OK, so my question has been answered--on another thread from yesterday:

Quote: "Seriously, we are doing our best to complete FPSEA. Software development is difficult to complete by a set date. Just when you think you have it sorted more issues pop up. We are getting very close. Maybe before Xmas 2004, certainly early Jan 2005"

That is a definitive answer and all I was really fishing for. With that information, I can now finalize my planning for the remainder of the year.

Thank you.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2004 05:02
You'd best not make any plans based on any estimated release date - they cant be relied on. Hopefully it may make early 2005 but it could be much later if those development issues keep poping up.

Anyone know where I find Lee's diary?

I'll look on the GC front page
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2004 06:09
Quote: "Anyone know where I find Lee's diary? "

This is the page.
http://developer.thegamecreators.com/

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service