Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Time table for upgrade

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2004 05:53
I know this must be soon, but is there a planned time table for the next upgrade?
Otherwise, I am currently happy to what I have access to. I'm pouring over my game programming books to see what I can pull from them. That's one of the best things about this SDK. Instead of having access to only limited books, you can now walk into any borders, B&N and find books that cover C++ game programming and use them. While you may have to change some of the things around, they should be able to help at least.
SoulMan

This is as backwards as is This
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2004 05:56
I have already made a few changes that will be useful for an upgrade and more is planned. If all goes well then maybe in the next few weeks the first upgrade can be released.

Mike
Steve O
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2004 06:01
great, upgrades are great!

can you tell us about just 1, or more, of the things you changed that will be useful for an upgrade?

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2004 06:04
A lot more functionality is included so you can access the internals of the DB Pro engine. This will help to give you more control over the way certain things work. Also included will be functions to get direct access to objects so you don't have to work with IDs all the time. I have laid out how I want this to work - now just need to finish it

Mike
Steve O
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2004 06:13
Quote: "Also included will be functions to get direct access to objects so you don't have to work with IDs all the time."

you mean something like:

myObject = dbMakeObjectCube(10);

where myObject gets the 'handle of' or 'pointer to' the object?

because right now you do:

dbMakeObjectCube(1, 10);

where '1' is sort of the handle of the created object.

...and i think this is quiet an annoying way to do it.

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2004 06:20
That's right. Getting pointer access will be helpful and it will work something like this -

Mike
billy the kid
Years of Service
User Offline
I think you should just finish that and just release that as an upgrade. Because using indexes is just plain weird. I havent bought the SDK yet, but planning on it. So maybe I will hold off until thats fixed/changed.
Steve O
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2004 07:30
OMG!!! that's awesome!!! i hope this will be in the next upgrade...it is so much nicer to code stuff like that than with the IDs.

SoulMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2004 09:47
Ooooohhhh, aaaahhhhh.
Mike, that's seriously wicked. I can't wait for the upgrade now.
SoulMan

This is as backwards as is This
Jizzah
Years of Service
User Offline
Mike if you're going to do something like that will their be support for RTTI or something like IsKindOf() like in MFC? The reason I ask is that it looks like the object is being assigned to a "generic" object pointer. If thats the case will their be specific pointers we can dynamic_cast too? Or, a way of knowing that the pointer we got is of a specific pointer type?

Pointers would seriously work well if we build our own resource or object manager sort of like a scenegraph and then just use a vector (STL) of pointers to our defined classes to update and render. It would be kind of neat.

If its in a couple of weeks the release will be made I would probably just wait abit and code demos until I can get the new release. As this would be a paradigm shift in coding unless you will just be overriding functions so we can still do (for example) dbPositionObject(1,...) or dbPositionObject(pCube)
Gen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2004 12:09
Bad A$$!! Now and I mean now I want DarkSDK, I hated ID's as they could not describe the object they were. Still one problem, need to work a little more so I can buy it, no money right now.

Soon to come...
Dark IDE, New IDE for DarkBASIC Pro!
Two plug-ins, A Time/Date and New File commands.
Smithy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2004 18:07
Great to hear!

So I can stop using a const OBJ_XXX = 1..x file!
Hooray!

I see the issue with the compatibility to DarkBasic...
but I would love to see a more object oriented design in general.
(I mean,.. it is called DarkGame SDK and not DarkBasic for C++ )

Right now I am creating diverse classes and structs that helps me to handle the camera etc. because I just miss commands like:
CurCamera->PointToObject ( MyObj );
or
MyCamera.PointToObject ( MyObj.X, MyObj.Y, MyObj.Z );

Anyway, good to see that the ID's will be gone in the next release/update/upgrade!!!
Hooozzzah!

Regards,
Smithy

//Pentium IV 3200E/Prescott; 800Mhz FSB; Hyperthreading; WinXP Pro (!XP2); ATI R9700PRO; 1024MB RAM (2x 512MB "DualChanneled"; VC++; Delphi; ADSL;

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 14:36:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 14:36:56