Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Is this right for me?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ive been working on a MMORPG that Im serious about (I plan to charge for it) I got serious plan draw out already.(Diagram covers my walls). I was working use cores that I wrote will help of one of my books using directx and c++ But I hit a wall. I figured out im gonna have to rewrite all my cores with no assistence and well I did the math it will take me a good year to do. Ive looked at DBPro before but I found the compiler to be restricting. Then when this Libary came out It seems to be my saving grace. Ease of DB but I can still workoutside the box. But I have questions.

Legal issues:
With the shareware version will I be able to make a MMORPG and charge monthly fees and will I be able to make a map creator (used only by me for my MMORPG)?

Graphic issues:
I know this uses Directx9 should I be able to hit FayCry or HL2 issue graphics (Squaremapping, Bump Mapping, Realtime shadows, Realtime Reflections, and high polygon models (Having them professionaly done))

Thanks
billy the kid
Years of Service
User Offline
I bet you could get close to FarCry or HL2 quality graphics if you had the very best artists. And if you had the very best shader programmers. As example, two of the games made with DBPro look very professional. And the same graphic quality should be possible with the SDK since its the same engine. But it requires a lot more than an engine being able to handle bumpmapping, lighting, etc to produce such high quality graphics.

Sorry cant answer the rest of your questions.
Stevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2004 13:52
Quote: "Legal issues:
With the shareware version will I be able to make a MMORPG and charge monthly fees and will I be able to make a map creator (used only by me for my MMORPG)?"

I'm not to sure about this, don't have my legal copy with me. I THINK it you could get away with selling access to a server but not sell the software it self. DB team might not be happy about this, if you plan on charging then just go the extra mile an pay for the shareware license though.

Quote: "Graphic issues:
I know this uses Directx9 should I be able to hit FayCry or HL2 issue graphics (Squaremapping, Bump Mapping, Realtime shadows, Realtime Reflections, and high polygon models (Having them professionaly done))"

Ha Ha, anything is possible, do realise those graphics took some time and they had teams of professional coders and artists and texture creators along with more money then you could poke a stick at. So in theory yes, you can do this but it'll time ALOT of time, effort and coke.
Little Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Im planning for this project to take a few years and gonna hire a team for the graphics. So despite models this should allow HL2 or Frycry like graphic engine.

And i was planning on buying the shareware version thanks.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:19:28
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:19:28