Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Quake III BSP Support SUCKS! >:/ - Please See This!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2002 01:55
Hi!
I am having heavy texture problems with my Quake III Arena BSP maps!
I have posted this report in the original US DBPro forum but no one seems to reply since maybe no one has a solution, and therefore no one has been able to correctly import a Quake III Arena BSP map into a DBPro project without having any texture problems.

Basically, I have custom textures taken via print screens and then the section I want is cut out from the original print screen and is saved as a JPEG for a Quake III Arena map texture (I used Paint Shop Pro 7). When I had all my textures, I made my map with Q3Radiant 1.2.9 and when done, I packed it all up in a PK3 file with the correct paths. This post shows you an example of my problems!
The following is one of my custom textures:

URL = http://mapping.jediknightii.net/texture.jpg

This is how that texture looks in a brush in Quake III Arena when the map is compiled, packed up and run in the game through its console:

URL = http://mapping.jediknightii.net/quake3.jpg

And now, here is how the SAME map looks in a DBPro project:

URL = http://mapping.jediknightii.net/problem.jpg

So, what do you guys think?
Anybody have any tips?
The curious thing is that one of my textures (the main one for the walls) and the one used on the floor and ceiling are displayed correctly in DBPro too, and they were obtained in the same way!

I've even created another test map with another test DBPro project using two other custom textures I got, and the same damm thing happens! >:/
This kills all my plans for a good DBPro based game that uses Quake III Arena BSP maps...
And DBS said that DBPro fully supports Quake III Arena BSP maps with no problems! >:/
What now?

Kayron James Mercieca - kayronjm@gibnet.gi
Nemesis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2002 05:08
Isn't it obvious? DBpro does it right, it's Quake III that does it wrong.

Meh, I dunno. Yet another bug to add to the list I guess.

I know everything! At least I don't know anything I don't know.
deadlyduck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2002 06:26
Hmm looking at the screenshots they seem to be reducing the window texture by half?

have you made sure there within the texture hight limits?

Maybe try reducing them by half the hight or so in the quake editor and seeing if this makes a difference.

I intend to make some BSP maps myself as soon as I get over the amount of bugs I've found since I bought DBPro and get some time to code and not bug hunt.
Guillermo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2002 07:00
OK, I am lost here. The vertical space between the windows is totally diferent. The DBPro image does not have upward perspective. And the DBPro image is completely cropped. That does not seem the product of different textures. It seems to me that specific parameters have been modified. Can't you change those parameters? I haven't learned 3D programming yet. But it seems that you should be able to control for the specific trhings that are different in the two cases.

Guillermo

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2002 14:44
Its probably case of the texture sizes being different then the one u are changing and therefore you will probably have to change the UV wrapping on that face to suit the new texture.

I think some editors can re import a BSP
If u have the 3d model before the BSP port it wold be easier

PK3 files
seem to have:

filename.arena - Q3 bots and info
filename.aas - for bots it seems
filename.shader - yummy shaders, pray the boys add support here
filename.bsp - pull this out and place side by side to the pk3 for DBP
numerous images in TGA format
including a jpg that seems to be the splashscreen
readme.txt - general notes about the map and the makers

Im exploring the subject at the moment being a complete noob to Q3 map making and I am basing assumptions on what I have experienced so far in research
Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2002 14:49
Looks that DBPro sizes the textures again to be square. Try to make your textures 256*256 or 128*128 (rised to powers of two) and compile the BSP again. They have to be SQUARE!

The evil plan is now even closer!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Specs:- P3 550 Nvidia TNT2M64, 192Mb RAM
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2002 23:51
Square? That may be the problem, but I must say that certainly is weird!
On another note- Import of a bsp is imossible to do perfectly, from what I have heard. There is a program or two that will do it, ie- winBSP, but there are a large amount of errors in the file it creates....

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Get the DB Weekly Newsletter at www.dbwn.cjb.net
Gib007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2002 00:33
I found out the solution!
I'll post it since there may be some of you here that are wondering what to do and are just ready to cry seeing as how your BSP maps may not display correctly!

Basically, in the map shown above, the only textures which were displayed correctly were the one for the floor and ceiling and the one for the walls. Why?
They were 256 X 256 in size!
In other words, their resolution was in powers of two. All the textures that weren't sized to this type of resolution were displayed incorrectly so all I did is resize them to sizes of powers of two. They don't need to be square as you can combine powers of two, such as:

32 X 512
64 X 128
16 X 128
256 X 64
etc...

You may also of course make them square, such as:

64 X 64
128 X 128
256 X 256
512 X 512
etc...

As long as the resolution dimensions are in powers of two. I didn't even have to re-texture and re-compile the map, I just took the textures from the PK3 file, resized them and put the new resized versions back in the PK3 file to replace the old ones and when my map loaded, voila!

Thanks for all your support, but I was able to figure it out, and above is my explanation for anyone else who is wondering...

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2002 04:03
On a related note - the "powers of 2" bug also applies to people having trouble loading and using images within DBPro (ie for sprites or something).

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2002 05:41
Power of 2 mean must be divisible by 2 like in DB or must be square ie. 128x128 not 256x128?
Quake3 does the texture stretching through shaders, perhaps DBpro's shader support isn't quite upto scratch right now

"For the Greater Good"...
Kyi'Aun (Jedi Master) Rai'Ka
Gib007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2002 21:13
Well basically, my custom textures for my map did not have any shaders, not even for testing with Quake III Arena. My map basically consisted of a few custom textures and the BSP map that I created using Q3Radiant with my custom textures, that's all!

Thanks for letting me know about that "rich", I may have complained about that too and then find out that it was in powers of 2, LOL!

As note, you can have textures being 256 X 128 for example, as the actual dimensions are both in powers of 2, so you may combine any of the following dimensions to create a certain shaped image:

etc...

I know this because some of the textures in my map that were f***ed up were resized from like 121 X 70 to 128 X 64 and the texture is displayed perfectly in DBPro.

BHoltzman
Years of Service
User Offline
Rich calls the power of 2 resolutions a bug? So DBPro will eventually allow us to load any sized images (within reason) and use them for bsp maps and the sprites?

Gib007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2002 17:43
I guess so but you can combine powers of 2, not necessarily meaning that both dimensions (X & Y) have to be of the same value, which allows you to shape your images/sprites. Sure, the shaping is a little more limited, but you can still achieve almost the same effect, anyhow they'll fix this soon...

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2002 02:48
"Rich calls the power of 2 resolutions a bug?"

It's a bug and will be fixed for a future Patch release. Although easy to work around when you know why, it's still mighty annoying and is probably the one biggest area stopping DBV1 code from porting across smoothly.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 09:14:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 09:14:56