Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Polycount on monsters

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am starting to model the material for my
future FPSC project. I would like someone of
the BetaTesters or creators of FPSC to answer
how many polygons is good for a model to be
used in FPSC. These are some of the stats i got
for other games. Is it in the area of any one
of those?
Unreal Tournament 2003 = 2100-3000
Quake 3 = 1000-1600
Unreal Tournament = 900
Quake 2 = 270-300
Quake 1 = 100-200
This is not a question of features to be included in the
game or not. I youst want to be prepared so that my models
will be usable in the future.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2005 18:30 Edited at: 9th Jan 2005 18:31
They're around the same as teh DarMATTER models, I don't have them to hand so I can't tell you the polycount.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2005 19:50
1000 is probably a good bet. It depends how many you intend to have on-screen at once.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
OK thanks for a answer i will make
keep my models around 1000 polys.
(thats like in Serious sam)
SoulMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 10:24
Depending on what type of program you are using, MilkShape, 3D Max, Lightwave etc... look for a plugin that does polygon reduction. That way you aren't trying to limit yourself just to 1,000 polygon when first making your models. You can use the plugin to then tweak your model the way you want. So if you create some 10,000 polygon models, you can probably tweak them down to 1,000 although that might be cutting it too close. You might want to start out with 5,000 and then using the plugin to reduce it to 1,000.
SoulMan

This is as backwards as is This
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
I use a poly reduction plugin. (using lightwave 8)
But i prefer to make my models as accurate as possible
in the first place. if you reduce polygons in a model that
most often ends up in a lot of cleaning work and if you reduce it by to much the model will end upp looking all wrong.
I dont want to reduce by more then 400 polys.
(and i am better att modeling LowPoly then HighPoly)
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 21:50
The only way to keep polycounts down is to start low, and stay low - it's far easier to split a poly into 2, than join 2 into 1. When making low poly models, you can put the detail where you need it - like in the face, you might decide to go for a chunky armour to cover the chest which will save polies because it can be low poly and still look right. Hands as well, you might want the right hand to have finders, and the left hand to be a fist - that way you can pose weapons really quickly - but a polygon reduction tool would probably kill the hand totally. It's a good idea to split your poly count:

Ideal count=1000
Arms x2=100 ea
Pelvis x1=100 ea
Legs x2=100 ea
Torso x1=250
Head x1=250

This isn't solid of course, but starting with a guide like that is good for working out things like cylinder segmets, like an arm might be made from a 6 sided cylinder with 7 sections, same for the legs - once you know your limits you know where you need to skimp, and with practice you'll find no end of tricks to make your life easier when character modelling. e.g. in my game Lonewolf, I barely game my characters a butt because you'd rarely see an enemy from behind, managed to keep the polycounts <700, that's why it can have 32 of them on screen at once without getting unplayable.

I would think that, if you wanted an end of level enemy, you could be a little more relaxed with the polycount, it all depends on what else the system has to do - so with end of level monsters, most of the other monsters are already gone, which free's up the necessary speed.

Van-B

It's c**p being the only coder in the village.
SoulMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 02:16
Actually, I was talking about what Doom 3 does. They model extreamly high end models, create a bump map used for lighting from that model, scale the model back and then apply the texture and bumpmap. Now we don't have the lighting ability that Doom 3 does so you can skip the bump map creation but I wouldn't recommend trying to model at the polygon levels they were at. I think they were around the 1,000,000 mark but I currently can't confirm that. I would start at 5,000 then use the plugin to reduce to 1,000 using the Plugin.
SoulMan

This is as backwards as is This
schoenhs
Years of Service
User Offline
didnt doom 3 use normal mapping not bump mapping to acheive that effect... is this something that FPSC supports?
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
NO its not.. Doom3 is totaly irelevant in this thread.
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
By the way thanks "Van B" for that exelent idea. I have newer thought of splitting up the poly count. (how stupid am i)
I usualy youst model it low poly and then get restained in the
end.
Nimrod
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there a LOD (Level of Detail) on Models and characters?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 06:04:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 06:04:22