Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Sound formats

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 01:46
I don't think many people have mentioned the sound. What formats does it support?

temet nosce
SoulMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 02:07
Good question. I think Wav would be one of them. As far as MP3 goes, TGC needs to avoid it. MP3 is a licensed format. Unless they already have a license. I would think that license would pass down to people using the program to create games. It kinda goes back to the old days of the AMD/Intel debate about licensing technology. Intel thought that though AMD had licensed some technology from them, that license didn't pass to the consumer and that the consumer had to pay for that license as well if they decided to use that processor from AMD. Well I am happy to say that the judge on that case didn't think so and slapped Intel down for it. We might actually get away with using Mp3's!
SoulMan

This is as backwards as is This
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 03:58 Edited at: 11th Jan 2005 03:58
Supported sound formats are the same as DBPro.

Since the DirectShow (or would that be DirectMusic?) library is used to play music, it depends on your system a little as well (WMA and MP3 are safe bets). You can get an OggVorbis plugin for DirectX though, which will enable *any* DBPro app to play Vorbis files.

BlueGUI Windows Plugin
Nosce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 04:10
Excellent, MP3 is definatly the thing I'm after.

temet nosce
Noldor
Years of Service
User Offline
Me to. Its the ultimate for backround music. Nice to hear that we wont be limited to Midi backround music. =)
Coldnews
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2005 06:05
Ogg is actually a fantastic high quality converter. I recommend that if anyone gets the chance then they should try it out. I dont think mp3's will be supported due to the licensing, but Ogg files are much higher resolution and only slightly larger file sizes and you are supporting an open source project! Well worth it if you ask me.

-------------------------------------
www.ColdNews.co.uk - the worlds first solo band.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 18:20:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 18:20:22